Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Season Autopsy

Unless we see a miracle over the last few games of the season we will be playing championship football again next season. With that reality I guess we have to ask questions as to what went wrong and what we do to make it work next season. I have certainly heard much critisism of the manager even to the point of some suggesting he ought to go. We are all very disapointed with the season I think its fair to say but what do cafc do about it. I personally have faith that Alan Pardew is the right man and will get it right. He carried out major surgery on the squad last close season and I think on the whole we have a quality group of players. Why that quality hasn`t gelled into a team I really can`t understand. We do need to address the lack of playmaker but that aside I think this squad will be good enough to challenge strongly next year. I don`t usually bet on football but I might just stick a few bob on us next season. Is my view blind optimism ? What do you think should happen ?

Comments

• Options
    I think Pardew should certainly get another season to get it right. It two years at west ham to turn it round. I know some of his signings have been debatable and others a bit of a gamble that may or may not come off. But who do you blame if you buy players who are doing well at other clubs, and they dont do it when they join us ? I m sure every body has learned some thing this season ,manager ,players and fans. We ve all made mistakes, but we ll be stronger for it next year. Rose tinted spectacles, or just the eternal optimism of an old Charlton supporter ?.
  • Options
    Right BexleyRed. Who would have thought that players like Gray, Varney, Iwelumo, McLeod and now Lita would all look so poor in front of goal.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: BexleyRed[/cite]I think Pardew should certainly get another season to get it right. It two years at west ham to turn it round. I know some of his signings have been debatable and others a bit of a gamble that may or may not come off. But who do you blame if you buy players who are doing well at other clubs, and they dont do it when they join us ? I m sure every body has learned some thing this season ,manager ,players and fans. We ve all made mistakes, but we ll be stronger for it next year. Rose tinted spectacles, or just the eternal optimism of an old Charlton supporter ?.[/quote]

The latter Bexleyred, the latter
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BexleyRed[/cite]I Rose tinted spectacles, or just the eternal optimism of an old Charlton supporter ?.

I guess there's a few of us on here that I've been round the block a few times.

Over the years, we've seen some good times - and we've seen times when things have gone far more horribly wrong than what we are seeing today.

There's a good enough foundation here - the Board, stadium, crowd numbers, management & players - but it's evident the whole club is in transition and the job only half done.

We've just got to kick on and together we'll see the good times again.
  • Options
    What a refreshing post Oggy. I`ll drink to that.
  • Options
    Think we should wait until we're mathematically out of it before we get on to the autopsy - 18 points still to play for, and all that.
  • Options
    Five wins since Reid left ! Need five now to get into playoffs I rekon........Can you see it....Honestly
  • Options
    We must be due a lucky win, just by the law of averages.
    That could change everything.

And put back in the players the self-belief & confidence that's gone missing.
  • Options
    Yeah I hope thats true but must admit I just dont think its gonna happen.
  • Options
    I was in the camp of it was a good deal to sell Reid because quite frankly we would have had an unhappy player on our hands because he idolised Keane as a kid so he would have got the hump if we stopped him going there. BUT I will concede now we haven't looked the same team since he left because most of everything we did , especially creating chances for the forwards, went through him.

We can moan all we like about how shit Gray has been or how crap Lita looks but the fact of the matter is a stiker is only as good as the chances created for him. Yeah they can do stuff themselves but our midfield has not been good enough end of. Gray was immense for Burnley up until we signed him and now we've made him look like a pub team player.

We are still in it we are due a run of wins and it will start next week. I am the ultimate rose tinted spectacles man and I don't care - as Oggy said we've seen some shit times and I was there for a lot of 'em.

Pardew must be given another season - changing him now would be daft.

KEEP THE FAITH - WE ARE CHARLTON
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ledge I agree we must let Pardew get on with it and not even for just next year. He is a proven manager at this level and given time will I am conviced get it right. However I really don`t think we are still in it this season. Keep the faith - yes
  • Options
    Keep taking the drugs yes LOL
  • Options
    My autopsy goes like this

Brains......Pardew........brain tissue found in boots
    Lungs.....Holland........no sign of any scarring although shreds of hay could be found
    Stomach....Thomas.....fragments of pizza
    Liver........Fans..........serious sclerosis evident other than in patrons of Oak who are still waiting to be served
    Womb......Youth team........signs of new life emerging but gestation period is long.
    Kidneys.....loaned...........hoping to be brought back with new life
    Colon..........................see Brains
    Dick...........me........for thinking we were better than we actually are
  • Options
    lol great post
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]We must be due a lucky win.
    We must be due a 'wonder' goal FOR us instead of against us
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]KEEP THE FAITH - WE ARE CHARLTON
    Well said Arf!
  • Options
    Pards must be given another season although the pressure is now on. To make the play off's this season Pards says we need to win five or six of our remaining games but considering we've won about 5 in our last 20 I can't really see it.
  • Options
    I am a big fan of Pards. I was calling for him before he'd even left West Ham. I am a little disappointed, I thought he'd do well this season. He must be given till at least this time next year.