Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Death by kettle?

Was discussing the drummer who died changing a lighbulb whilst stood in the bath this evening - can't remember who it was. Anyway,my missus compared it to when she was a kid, her mum stopped her putting her hand in the water in an electrical kettle on the basis that she would electrocute herself. I said it was probably just to stop her scolding her hand and that she couldnt electrocute herself via a kettle. I'm sure I'm right but I don't really know why? Any physicists/sparkies out there to back me up?

Comments

  • An electric kettle still uses a heating element to heat the water (not an electric charge), so one won't electrocute themselves by putting a hand in. But I'm no electrician, so don't take my advice.
  • It's ok - I'm not going to test the theory!
  • No mate, unless something goes pretty seriously wrong you can't elecrocute yourself by putting your hand in the kettle.

    You would deserve to be severly hurt though wanting to do something like that. The water gets pretty hot in them there kettles so I've heard
  • edited March 2008
    Leslie (Les) Harvey (1945, Glasgow, Scotland - May 3, 1972, Swansea, Wales) (brother of Alex Harvey) was a guitarist in several Scottish bands of the late 1960s and early 1970s, most notably Stone the Crows- previously known as 'Power'. It was while on stage with Stone the Crows at Swansea Top Rank in 1972 that he was killed, electrocuted by touching an unearthed microphone with wet hands.


    For a more amusing rock related accident check this poor fool out

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3SrAVvDUrw
  • [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]An electric kettle still uses a heating element to heat the water (not an electric charge), so one won't electrocute themselves by putting a hand in. But I'm no electrician, so don't take my advice.


    Ummm looky, I got my sister to test this out, you was wrong.

    Thanks a lot pal, I owe you a beer ;-)
  • "Leslie (Les) Harvey (1945, Glasgow, Scotland - May 3, 1972, Swansea, Wales) (brother of Alex Harvey) was a guitarist in several Scottish bands of the late 1960s and early 1970s, most notably Stone the Crows- previously known as 'Power'. It was while on stage with Stone the Crows at Swansea Top Rank in 1972 that he was killed, electrocuted by touching an unearthed microphone with wet hands."

    Keith Relf, the singer from The Yardbirds electrocuted himself on a guitar. Don't think it was on stage though
  • Had a similar experience in a rehearsal room at Greenwich. The Bassist touched a 'live' mic and almost lit up. I managed to rip out his guitar lead to break the circuit. Happily he suffered no permanent damage.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]An electric kettle still uses a heating element to heat the water (not an electric charge), so one won't electrocute themselves by putting a hand in. But I'm no electrician, so don't take my advice.


    Ummm looky, I got my sister to test this out, you was wrong.

    Thanks a lot pal, I owe you a beer ;-)

    LOL!!
  • as an eight year old I was sat at the kitchen work top chewing the bit on a radio lead that goes into the radio , it was still plugged in and after a minute or so I got a shock that went right through my head and threw me off the chair.

    Now many years on I am ? you've guessed it , an electrician .

    By the way , you could only get an elecrtic shock from the water in a kettle if there was a fault on it in which case it would blow the fuse in the plug or trip put at the fuse board first
  • Fascinating, folks ........ good to know there's a few livewires on this board ;o)
  • Sponsored links:


  • Don't mate, I can see sparks flying sooner or later
  • I re FUSE to get involved in this one,
  • We are a pretty down to earth bunch, don't think the subject will cause any re-volts.
  • Watt are you on about?
  • I`m remaing NEUTRAL in this.
  • Fighting talk eh?

    Come on then socket to me or put a plug in it!
  • Its just a 3 PHASE he`s going thorough.
  • Fight? You're a bit SHORT ain't you dude?
  • ha ha you guys, haha very good
  • Ok gents its getting late now, lets pull the PLUG on this one.
  • Sponsored links:


  • and apart from anything else it's hardly very current
  • Death by kettle ? try death by tray !!!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv5iEK-IEzw
  • Death by kettle? What a re-volting way to go.
  • The Autopsy details could not be released to the press as they were deemed 2 COREy for the public domain, but the deceased was found to be one of two TWINs and EARTH, was dressed in a 3 PINstriped suit and recently moved to London from Washington AC/DC, but at five foot 2 was decribed as being quite SHORT, although friends decribed him as the LIVE and soul of any party and will be sadly missed, a spokesman for the deceased who reFUSEd to get in volved in any speculation and prefered to remain Neutral said that after a NATIONAL grid ballot the majority VOLT had swung in favour of a state funeral, WATT details there are will remain secret until emotions which are CURRANTly running very high have settled down, the burial will take place on the woolwich road next thursday where in eight months time the road crew will return to fill the hole with the EARTH.
  • not something that i would watch.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Roland Out!