Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eurostar and hotels in Brussels

Any tips on getting the best value trip by Eurostar to Brussels for a Friday to Sunday trip before Xmas?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Cant give you advice on how to get tickets.... or costs...... but I stayed in the Raddisson there about 2 years back and it was great..... guy playing piano as you entered lounge...... phones in the bath?

Really good.......

Cant remeber money though........
  • Options
    Try the Eurostar website directly Henry..... pretty reasonable.

We went in August this year, and stayed in the Starwoods Le Meridien. Great 5* hotel (also with phone in the bath!!), 5 mins stroll to Grand Place, and right opposite the central train station (2 stops from the station Eurostar use, fare included in your Eurostar ticket - at no extra cost). Great location.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    cheers both of you, sounds ideal but why would I want a phone in the bath? I've lead a sheltered life so maybe I'm missing something here.

More of a shower man myself anyway
  • Options
    I didnt quite understand why either...... It was me and my ex and my mate and his girl and we were ringing form different rooms in the bath.......

Very strange.......... But they did have a radio speaker built into the ceiling of the bathroom so I could listen to the radio.....

It was a great trip thought...... Muscles and beer and chips........
  • Options
    The Le Meridien also had music from the TV in the bathroom.....

The phone and volume controls were both right next to the toilet, so I guess it's a businessman thing.... let's them continue making those all important calls whilst dropping the kids off at the pool....

Hmmmmmm moules frites! Can't beat a bit of that!!!!

You been before Henry?
  • Options
    http://www.eurostar.com/dynamic/index.jsp

The hotels and restaurants in the immediate vicinity of the Grand Platz or whatever it's called are generally about 10-20% more expensive than those about 5-10 minutes walk away, though I was always go the Roi D'Espagne pub in the corner of the Grand Platz and if you get a nice evening the Son et Lumiere show is worth watching.

Regarding hotels...Brussels is a convention city and has the EU HQ and there are plenty of Hotels, I've no specific recommendations, I usually use this site when going to a city for the first time:

http://web2.hrs.de/cgi-bin/start?HP=-1&NP=402&lang=de&ulog=wwwBDDv18837&ipl=0a6y3u0w&ipr=2c4f605u&USEDB=prod&b_tag=13&b_monat=11&b_jahr=2006&e_tag=14&e_monat=11&e_jahr=2006&&EP=B&lang=uk

This is the English langauge version of: http://web2.hrs.de/
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Cheers. I will look at those.

Yes, been before a few times for work and a long time ago for pleasure. Stayed in Anderlect then but couldn't persuade the other half that a football match would be part of a romantic weekend away.

Fancied doing it before Xmas with wife and kid as the Grand Place is fantastic at night and there's loads of good places to eat. Mort Subite etc. I think all the family will be getting Belguim beer for Xmas presents. May also go to the Heysel Park and see the Staduim. Last time I went to that part of town they were still re-building it.
  • Options
    If you're going to Heysel, then make sure you vist the Atomium and go to the top...... great views of the stadium from there...

Atomium
  • Options
    Didn't go up it last time but did see the model europe. Great stuff.
  • Options
    Model Europe is good.... Kids love that and the atomium - there are some exhibitions inside the various pods aimed at kids....

If you are out there for long enough, I'd also recommend jumping on a train and heading to Bruges..... lovely place