Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

the offside rule

surely I'm not the only person that realises the offside rule relates to the striker being in an onside position when the last player from his side touches the ball.

too often I hear "well he can't have been offside cos the last player to touch it was from the opposition" , yes but the last time one of your own players touched it he was in an offside position.

I watched the arsenal match earlier on sultana and having watched it again on MOTD I'm sure I'm right in saying that Adebarndoor was offside when the ball was last touched by a player from his own side but still most pundits are getting it wrong

Comments

• Your interpretation is totally wrong I'm afraid Buckshee. Adebeyor's goal should have stood. It depends who the last touch came off. The assistant was correct to raise his flag but the referee should have seen the ball was clearly played by Boateng (i.e. the opposition) and therefore Adebayor could not have been given offside. The offside law states the ball must be played by a player of the same team for the law to apply. If Van Persie had played the ball to Adebayor then he would have clearly been offside. The pundits are all spot on, unfortunately you and ref Mark Halsey sadly have it wrong and this is from a referee of 5 year's experience.
  • so you're telling me if the ball had have been launched from say 30 yards away and the forward was 10 yards offside then it clipped the head of a defender on the way through then it's not offside ? that would be given everytime
  • A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:

* interfering with play
    * interfering with an opponent
    * gaining an advantage by being in that position
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]so you're telling me if the ball had have been launched from say 30 yards away and the forward was 10 yards offside then it clipped the head of a defender on the way through then it's not offside ? that would be given everytime

I think in that case the forward would be gaining an advantage by being in an offside position, and participating in active play, and so would be penalized for being offside. Don't know about the Arsenal situation
  • wba scored a goal exactly like that against brizzle rovers and it stood - wrongly in my opinion
  • [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]so you're telling me if the ball had have been launched from say 30 yards away and the forward was 10 yards offside then it clipped the head of a defender on the way through then it's not offside ? that would be given everytime

This is what happened for the 3rd WBA goal against Bristol Rovers last week and the goal stood.
  • It's a grey area I agree but in the seminars I have been to the benefit of doubt always goes to the attacker so however harsh th.e WBA goal was in the current climate it probably was a goal. Whether I agree is another matter. Miller was gaining an advantage by being in that position so therefore OFFSIDE but the last touch was off a Rovers defender so ONSIDE. It was a 50/50 decision and was a little harsh on the defending side but the laws are such it gives the attacking side as much advantage as possible.
  • No sure I agree Spankie,

It's the position of the player at the point the ball was played by his team mate. Obviously it may not be apparent whether or not the player in the offside position is actually 'active' until play develops by which time the ball may have come off another player, i.e. a defender. This is why you're taught as a match official to wait and see how it develops. It's the skill of the official(s) to watch, wait and piece it all together.

I run linesman workshops for our league and this is one of the biggies as it's probably the biggest point of contention. I don't get involved in the 50/50 and benefit of doubt to the attacker, I deliver it like it is. Bear in mind though I'm talking to completely unqualified people who are often very raw so I tend to stick to law rather than bring in interpretation, however if you're saying it comes up at seminars and that's the way it's put over, I'll have ask around myself.
  • I honestly think no one really knows!!! I'm trying my best to explain it but no one has a definite answer.
  • this is pretty much my point that no-one really knows for sure and it's very much open to interpretation so the fact that they lambasted the ref in the arsenal game and said he got it wrong was very fair as if he interprets the law as it's written then I'm afraid even though I don't agree he did actually make the right decision.