Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - Sat 12th March 1988. Charlton 3 West Ham 0

edited March 2008 in General Charlton
Saturday 12th March 1988. Selhurst Park. Att 8,118

Charlton Athletic 3 (2) (Crooks 29 68, Stuart 31) West Ham United 0 (0)

Charlton: Bolder, Humphrey, Reid, Mackenzie, Shirtliff, Miller, Stuart, Leaburn, Gritt, Lee, Crooks. Unused subs: Jones, Williams.

West Ham: McAlister, Stewart, McQueen, Bonds, Strodder, Gale, Ward, Dickens (Keen 64), Dolan, Cottee, Robson. Unused sub: Ince.

Referee: J Martin (Alton, Hants)

Landmark: Charlton recorded their 1,000th goal in 661 First Division matches when Crooks netted in the 68th minute.

Comments

• Look at that attendance for a derby...
  • west ham brought a fair few that day as well;-)
  • jesus christ. how old was billy bonds then?
    didn't remember him playing.
  • billy bonds was 41 years old at this fixture and received an mbe in the 1988 new years honours list he also went to eltham green... he was still a bit quicker than leaburn;-)
  • Remember this one.
    Had been on a half-term Charlton football skills course at the Meridien and they gave all the participants a freebie for the game.
  • edited March 2008
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]Remember this one.
    Had been on a half-term Charlton football skills course at the Meridien and they gave all the participants a freebie for the game.

snap , me too.

I remember Johny H turning up to coach us in denim jacket and faded jeans.
  • tax fiddle,there was more there that day.
  • edited March 2008
    did crooks score with a diving header and it took about 20 minutes on the 75 bus from charlton?
  • 8k for an East London derby game...
  • west ham brought a fair few that day as well;-)

very true ... not a substantially large amount of charlton around that day, although we made a lot of noise
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2013

did crooks score with a diving header and it took about 20 minutes on the 75 bus from charlton?

20 mins on the 75 bus from Charlton? I do believe in miracles but that is a bit far fetched! ;) It used to take that time to get past the Standard!
  • Jensen Button couldn't do it in 20 minutes, never mind the old boneshaker
  • Proper old Lennie line up that is.
  • Slaughtered West Ham that day. It was by far the best game I ever saw Steve Gritt have for us. He was in centre-midfield and was completely dominant. Brilliant performance by us.
  • edited March 2016
    Remember it well - we gave The Hammers a right going over. Would love players like Shirtliff, Humphrey, Reid and Bolder in the team now. Even at 50 /55+ they would probably do a better job than some that we have on board now.
  • 8k for an East London derby game...

West Ham probably had 4000 there that day.
  • Our crowds were awful at Selhurst and we had to rely on the away team bringing a load to bump up the attendances. Much the same way as Wimbledon had to do when they were playing there.
  • Paul Ince an unused sub!
  • E-cafc said:

Our crowds were awful at Selhurst and we had to rely on the away team bringing a load to bump up the attendances. Much the same way as Wimbledon had to do when they were playing there.

You're right, they were low and there was a dependence on the away following but attendances were low everywhere else too. Arsenal would get about 25,000, Spurs about the same maybe a little less, the likes of West Brom about 15,000, Leeds in Div 2 could go down to 10 or 11,000.

Perversely, the biggest home crowd I've ever been in for a Charlton home game was v Liverpool at Selhurst...28, 000 (I know we would've got many more in later years at an extended Valley). You couldn't move that day and I wonder what the REAL crowd figure was?
  • Yes crowds were lower in general back then. I think the improvement began with the start of the Premier League. I was at that Liverpool game and was shocked by the size of the attendance. Think we lost 0.2 that day. Apparently it was the highest crowd at Selhurst Park for some years. Bet that cheered up the Nigels lol