Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

That great night at the town hall

edited March 2008 in General Charlton
Who was there?

Me and Ging were

Had been off work all week as the mrs was really ill managed to get her sister over to sit with her, she watched me on TV

So glad my boss did not see me on TV

Was a special night

Comments

• Options
    yep did the walk from the valley
  • Options
    Yep was there nice and early for the walk as well a very late night LOL
  • Options
    Yes was there and had a good few in The Director General after
  • Options
    Yes, great night.
  • Options
    yeah good turnout by charlton that night;-)
  • Options
    yep, did the walk and was in there as well...
  • Options
    Got the bus down to the Valley after school with a couple of mates, and loved the march and the singing all the way down there.

Didn't actually know you were allowed in the Town Hall, so patiently waited outside with a few hundred others. Got interviewed by Newsroom South East, but think i stumbled a bit so just started a big chorus of Back to the Valley !

Like a winning goal when everyone started piling out after and was celebrating. No mobiles in those days, so those outside weren't really kept in the loop.

Back at the school the next day felt like a hero as loads of pupils and teachers come over to say they saw me on tv.
  • Options
    It was ticket only inside the hall. Can't remember how we got ours though
  • Options
    Dont remember "ticket only" ? We never had any tickets , dont remember being asked for em or making any effort to sneak in either. It was packed and we were in a sort of open annex next to main hall.
  • Options
    Waited outside with hundreds of others in Market Street. Couldn't blag my way in even though I knew the Hallkeepers at the Town Hall.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I feel honoured that one of my post is a sticky

Yeah was also in Market St standing on the the fence of the docs

Great seens and so many people around that night.

Roger Alwens glasses though blimey could not get any bigger if they tried LOL
  • Options
    Must of been what, 17 / 18 years ago ?
  • Options
    20 mate. I have been back in the Uk 15 years this month, Thailand for 3 and it was before that.
  • Options
    Was in the second hall not the chamber itself. Vote came thru on the tannoy.

Very loud, "Back to the Valley" when we knew we had won. Turned out there were a few more twists and turns before we did get home.
  • Options
    was singing back to the valley for hours that night and through the night had a sore head in the morning

Shall we sing it tonight for old times sake
  • Options
    Ben was right in saying about all the twists and turns. Was it this meeting or the Planning meeting that Andy L was shouting out of a window via loudhailer?
  • Options
    I was there along with Big John Cole and a couple of others....special night....got a newspaper cutting somewhere of the scenes inside the hall...sadly I dont have a scanner.
  • Options
    got it on video somewhere.
  • Options
    was outside, only buckshee out of our lot got in. got his mug on the tv when the roar went up as well. i was still at school at the time.
  • Options
    you lot are making me feel old saying you were still at school.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You are Steve.....
    :-)
  • Options
    If it makes u feel just a little better Id just left school, lol
    Cant remember why i couldn't make it but do remember coming through the front door and me old girl shouting before id even got the key out that your going home, needless to say i ran in the front room done the usual of askin if she was f*****g me about she said no and we both jumped about like nutters singing 'back to the valley'
    Then seeing everyone on the london news filled me with great pride.............

Fantastic memories!!!
  • Options
    same here there again i was not long out of school LOL
  • Options
    I was there with a couple of mates, we had tickets to get in, can't remember how we got them.
    Remember being outside for the failed planning meeting.
  • Options
    I was there - main hall too. Great times.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]you lot are making me feel old saying you were still at school.
    You and me both, I had been married for 7 years!! she couldnt find me that night I was in the Star?? ;)
  • Options
    I did the walk, but didn't get in!

What a night though - I was in dreamland.
  • Options
    Out of interest, how many of you were at the 1st ever BTTV meeting at Greenwich Town Hall?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Out of interest, how many of you were at the 1st ever BTTV meeting at Greenwich Town Hall?
    All of us!!
  • Options
    had been to the previous meeting and all the council planning department meetings where we just stood around the councillors or whoever they were, while they discussed various boring old planning crap. i think the idea was to unsettle them till they came around to our way of thinking.then into the director general for a couple,listening to the brainy people to plan the next move.

it was a bit of a shock to me that when i turned up on that great night to find a load of jcl's had turned up and i was stuck outside with someone else in my seat.