Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football Gounds Abroad

edited November 2006 in General Charlton
Following on from the topic of worst grounds....What grounds have you been to abroad and how do rate them; facility and atmosphere?

My first match abroad was at Stuttgart v Bochum. And then Munich Stadium for the Notts Forest v Maimo European Cup final; Kaiserslautern (although that was a gig - Fleetwood Mac and Bob Marley); Breshia (anglo cup); Copenhagen FC and that football club that Claus played for?

Comments

• Rhoda (Holland)- very yellow- modern- quite compact and not a lot of charecter

FC Utrecht- Not bad, modern, shame about the netting to obscure the view- novel way of getting rid of away fans after the match!

That's all.
  • Went to Valencia in pre season.

Very basic ground to be fair but awesome at the same time.

Went to the new Stadium of Light in Lisbon for England V France at Euro 04 that was an impressive stadium.

That's it for me
  • Freiburg's Dreisam Stadion: http://www.11freunde.de/stadionbesuch/16737

Nice neat compact ground, 25k capacity with standing behind both goals. Good atmosphere...

And the Olympia Stadion in Munich (Bayern Munich's old ground)...I called it the moon - zero atmosphere.
  • The Maracana stadium ... awsome
  • san siro is my favourite ground, an incredible place. the new allianz in munich is pretty spectacular as well. olympic in rome is a little dated now but amazing for the derby experience.

also been to seville's ground, sporting lisbon, coimbra and porto's.
  • went to the preseason games in ireland a couple of years ago,bray and st.patricks i think.worse than non-league.
  • Ajax was great m8,also anywhere in europe,best ever was paris in the early 80s with a group of charlton lads following england,ps poland finland norway america belgium sweden switzerland denmark austria germany and and scotland wales etc
  • Went to Roda, as you say modern and compact, went to Gelenskirchen last Summer, an excellent stadium, great food and beer while watching a game! Makes me want to go and see a Bundesliga game.
  • Anyone remember ANCONA?
  • AOL Arena in Hamburg is a fav for me, ultra modern, with big terraces behind the goal.

Been to a few Spanish stadiums, Beerschot was interesting, thought the Stadium of Light in Lisbon was stunning.

Really want to go to Dortmund
  • Sponsored links:

• Was at the San Paolo, Napoli, 1990 to see England v Cameroon, World Cup Quarter Final.

Just like watching Charlton, goal up and coasting, then 2-1 down and then last minute Gary Lineker penalty equaliser, & winner in extra time.
    Ground was packed, kept getting gobbed on by mad Italian supporters in the tier above - they wanted revenge for Heysel.

Oh, yeah, the ground - night match, flares and smoke and great atmosphere.
  • I have been to many - particular favourites are Sevilla's & Fiorentina's - both of whom's results i still follow every week.

best ground I ever visited on a non-match day was Viktoria Zizkov in Prague, which had a bar on the terracing open to the public selling pints of Budvar, Gambrinus & other magical beers for about 15p !!
  • Ibrox...
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Really want to go to Dortmund

Hey rothko, i wanna go dortmund. Praps we should go.
  • edited November 2006
    Valencia - Top draw
    Malaga - 1st Div
    Bayern - Old ground but still has something about it and still manages to retain the atmosphere that moderns stadia dont....?
    PSG - big but very "tired"
    Ibrox - Similar to many Prem grounds
    FC Rodney Bay - Makes Welling look like the Stade de France
  • And the Olympia Stadion in Munich (Bayern Munich's old ground)...I called it the moon - zero atmosphere

I assume you're talking about the Stadium in the Olympic Park? Strange you think that cos I went to a couple of games when I was living in Augsburg and thought the atmosphere was good. Mind you one game was a derby against 1860...
  • Yep but that was the old stadium, open around 75% of the ground with a cantilevered roof over the other 25%. For certain matches it had good atmosphere - 1860, Dortmund etc but Bayern Munich would usually outclass their opponents and strangle the game, it didn't help that they played very defensive football, counter attack and then fall back in defense and walk away winning 2-0 all good professional stuff but nothing to get excited about. And then as a fan you were separated from the pitch by the running track and as at Wembley, if you were behind the goals you were a good 50m away from the action.

The new Allianz arena being all seater, covered in and with much better acoustics traps the atmosphere in, compared to the Olympia Stadion Oli Kahn said that sometimes when he shouts his defenders never hear him - which was never a problem before.
  • Makes sense. Maybe I was just lucky in the games I saw cos 1860 went 2-0 up in the first 15 mins or so and then Bayern came back to snatch a win with 5 mins ago..... The most animated and excited I think Ive ever scene a bunch of Germans since the morning after I threw all their towels into the swimming pool on my way back to my apartment at 4am
  • Been to the Olympic Stadium in Rome.. Roma vs Perugia.... Really good... the ticket guy tried to rip me off, good start, then the atmosphere was excellent.....pretty basic facilities... bird shit all over the chairs that sort of thing.. concrete with plastic 'half chairs' nailed in

Also been to Nou Camp... Champs league about 6 years ago... at the kluivert times... very good I thought I was right next to the pitch not a big crowd as it was against hertha berlin..... BUT really good... want to return there.

Been to Santiago Bernanbeau... amazing!! heaters all that jazz..... almost got beaten up though it was for the england vs sapin game when all the recism was on..... Spanish were ready to do us all in.....

planning a trip to the San Siro in the next 12 motnhs.... should be great....
  • [cite]Posted By: Morts-Genius[/cite]Anyone remember ANCONA?

Yep, I was there. Can't say that I remember much about it. Other grounds I've been to:

Malang, Java, Indonesia. Forget what anyone tells you about the passion in South America (Europe). In Asia they may can be as loud and as nuts. In Indonesia away fans suffer 15 hours on a bus to go to away games (standing up maybe in the back of a lorry). In Malang they packed out the stadium and even the neighbouring trees were top heavy with people who'd climbed to the top. I can still remember the song 'singo edan' which is Javanese for 'crazy lion' The game was nuts too. Despite torrential rain they played on with the pitch resembling a lake. If the Indonesians could get themselves organised they'd be a real force in the world game.

Azteca Stadium, Mexico. Impressive but couldn't see how it could hold as much as they say it can. Can't remember the game.

Boca Juniors, Argentina. Went there on a non-matchday and only saw it through a hole in the gates! The terracing looks as so steep it's frightening.

Nou Camp, Spain. I stood right at the top and saw an amazing game. Barcelona came back from 4-1 down to win 5-4. It was unreal.

Waldstadion, Frankfurt, Germany. It wasn't much of a game. Hamburg won 1-0. What I remember most was the walk through the woods to get to the ground.

Stade de Gerland, Lyon. Crap ground, crap atmosphere, fans who can't sing without a twat on a microphone. Enough said.

Stade Geoffrey Guichard, St Etienne. Brilliant ground, brilliant atmosphere, some of the most passionate fans in Europe. Allez les verts!

I also went to a game in Melbourne but can't remember anything about it except that everyone was either of Greek or Italian descent!
  • Sponsored links:

• The Alianza Arena has terracing for Bundersliga games BFR