Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Caribbean

Have never been. Thinking of going in January.

Is there much difference between the islands ? are some nicer than others ?

Anything that could be particularly recommended ?

Comments

• Options
    Depends what you want...

1. Bahamas quite a lively place, you must visit Nassau..

2. St.Lucia, quieter but more scenic....
  • Options
    Been to antigua twice. absolutely love it. My mate who i went with has been to barbados, st lucia and jamaica also and she reckons antigua was the best of those.

Beautiful place.
  • Options
    i've been to St Kitts.. (jack tar village) about 8 years ago
    was Very nice!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carlingaddick[/cite]i've been to St Kitts.. (jack tar village) about 8 years ago
    was Very nice!!

St Kitts = Tits???
  • Options
    LOL

there were plenty of them around for viewing..
    luuuvley american birds
  • Options
    been to st. lucia,we had a great time,but just looked at it on trip advisor and our hotel gets slaughtered.
  • Options
    Went to St Lucia last year to a resort near Rodney Bay.

Very relaxed and friendly and you can go off the complex without fear of being robbed, stabbed, murdered, raped or any combination.

Only problem is that England are based there for the Cricket WC so expect it to be a little more expensive than normal.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeakeysRocket[/cite]been to st. lucia,we had a great time,but just looked at it on trip advisor and our hotel gets slaughtered.

Where did you stay?
  • Options
    club st.lucia. went for a friends wedding.the place was perfect for families,it's was like a mini butlins but we knew that before we got there.i found it very a relaxed island and we did go off site in the evening. once for an excuse as a stag night and ended in some lap dance joint,which was a little bit moody.but in all,we had a great time on the island.
  • Options
    That's where we went as well.

And agreed that it looks like Butlins in the sun, but loved it as the entertainment team worked hard and managed to keep our 3yr old (at the time) entertained 24/7 so we could relax. Only issue was the bloody plastic glasses....... Just not the same as proper glass when you're drinking a beer.

When were you out there? We went in the last two weeks of May 2005 and there were loads of weddings!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wouldn't go to Barbados if I were you, it is a bit tatty. I would love to go to Cuba, myself, as it looks like it has lots of character.
  • Options
    You might want to hold off JA. The next Charlton Life meet up is happening this summer in Bermuda. Just a few drinks and a bit of lazing by the pool.
  • Options
    Went on a family holiday with the package company Sun Sail.

Went to Antigua. Was a great place and the resort was superb.
  • Options
    jan 2004 we went.the groom hired out the restaurant at the top of the hill for the day and evening.the hotel itself was perfect for us with 2 small children that were thoroughly entertained.and golf just up the road,but only played the once.
  • Options
    I got married at Club St.Lucia (first time) in 1993 before they turned it into a Butlins....very nice...
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Didn't get onto the course, but it looked quite nice from the road.

Did manage to talk myself into a 90 min game off football on a full size pitch, when I was pissed.

Locals vs the Brits. KO 3pm..... Not a happy experience I can tell you playing in 90 deg 90% humidity after a skin full on a full size pitch that was hard as concrete..... Had to spend about two hours afterwards in the swim up bar stretching my hammies.... Still can't believe the other half bought that one!

Did either of you get into town for the street party? If you didn't you missed out. Loads of music, booze and locals all happy to give you home cooked food and dance with the tourists. Lovely people
  • Options
    Antigua I would definitely recommended as B said , very friendly and relaxed . English harbour etc , plenty of places to visit

If you go to Barbados I would stick to the west coast as its a lot nicer than the south .

St Lucia was ok , stayed in Sandals though and we found it a bit dull there to be honest , lot of septics about being very loud .

Bahamas is nice as well but out of the lot I would recommend Antigua
  • Options
    Played football in the Maldives once.......90 minutes on a sand pitch, no half-time.....killed me, I'd have a heart attack now...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oracle[/cite]Played football in the Maldives once.......90 minutes on a sand pitch, no half-time.....killed me, I'd have a heart attack now...

I bet you won all the headers though eh . They're all about 3 foot 1 over there
  • Options
    Apparently, we were the only "tourist" side to beat the staff that year...They are small but as they are light, very quick across the sand....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Antigua - sunday nights legendary up on Shirley Heights for one big ragga fest.

I went off site constantly on the second trip and there were two of us women and didnt feel threatened or unsafe once.
  • Options
    Been to Barbados and St Lucia - both fantastic.

Barbados is a great, laid back place...west coast has the best sea / beaches...great restauarnts, friendly locals but getting 'slightly commercial' I guess....the beach at 'the crane' is still rated one of the best in the world (south west corner of the island). Fish fry at Oistins on a Friday night (I think) had to be seen to be believed - big sound system in the town square, bbq's all around and laid back locals dancing their nuts off....not threatening at any point.

St Lucia we pushed the boat out and hired a villa with staff between the pitons in the south of the island (was part of a Hilton resort on a converted plantation, but changed hands now - do a google on Jalousie Plantation)...not many tourists and didn't see any of the 'butlins' resorts in the north...fantastic sailing and lazing around doing nothing apart from playing volleyball on the beach with staff and various 'celebs' (wife had been ill and so we needed 2 weeks of doing absolutely nothing)...private helicopter transfers to and from the airport for that finsishing touch....would go back in an instant (if I didn't have my son)

Now I'm lucky to get a cheap flight to Spain for a week :-(
  • Options
    i wouldnt mind he's asked for advice and not been back on since. I think we all just enjoying reminiscing about our caribbean hols... big sigh.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]i wouldnt mind he's asked for advice and not been back on since. I think we all just enjoying reminiscing about our caribbean hols... big sigh.

Perhaps he booked it straight away and has gone already
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]i wouldnt mind he's asked for advice and not been back on since. I think we all just enjoying reminiscing about our caribbean hols... big sigh.

Probably thought "Bunch of show offs"!!!

I wonder if you'd get this sort of coversation on the Wall MB?
  • Options
    St Lucia is fantastic.

If you fancy something different, then try Aruba (part of the Dutch Antilles) as you don't tend to get many mouthy Brits there disturbing your peace - plus the Dutch girls are VERY friendly. It's also simple to get to Venezuela, which is well worth a visit.
  • Options
    Going to Club St Lucia in March for a 40th birthday pressie, two weeks all inclusive plus I get to go to 4 world cup cricket matches. It's minus 7 in Calgary this morning so as you can imagine by March I'll be ready for a beach holiday !

Cuba, Dominican and Mexico are really popular destinations here (and cheap to get to), I lived in Jamaica for a while in the mid nineties, beautiful country but you have to keep your eyes and ears open all the time. Shame really.