Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Liverpool tonight/Benitez

Comments

• Options
    Surely now, surely???
  • Options
    Nice little result for me , had a tenner @ 12-1 on Reading to go through
  • Options
    I dont hate Liverpool i have some good scouse mates from our prem days and going to away games up there. However it would be lovely to see them play second fiddle to Everton for a while that would make me smile. Beneitez i fell has been given a etter chance than most managers do in the prem.

If you manage a team whos fans, board and club expect high thigs (e.g. top 4 finish and Champ league semis at least) in the premier league and the players do not perform for any reason you will have a week maybe two until you get sacked. Its bollox if oyu ask me but Benetiez has been given more of a chance than anyother manager in the last few years that i can remeber. Paul Ince wasnt even given a small chance was he in comparison.
  • Options
    What an embarrassing interview the man just gave. To be honest, I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for him - geezers clearly lost the plot.
  • Options
    What did he say then?
  • Options
    I don't like to see any clubs get into financial difficulty BUT I think I would like to see Liverpool struggle a bit. The lot at the top need to realise that the whole money situation will not last forever and this is just the beginning.
    Not finishing in the top four will mean a mass exodus. BYE BYE Gerrard, Torres, Mascherano and others.
    Scaring future foreign owners away from English football (fingers crossed) who are here to get what they can as quick as they can.
    They are not investing because they love the team, the game or any of that bollocks.

With the way both Liverpool and Man Utd are playing at the moment it really isn't that unfeasible to see them both not in the top four at the end of the year. Which as the accounts show for both clubs would lead to a financial meltdown, mass exodus and quick sales by the owners with millions of pounds worth of debts.

GGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
  • Options
    I think its long overdue.....

and on top of that you have some very strong teams behing them, Man City, Villa, Spurs (w*nkers), these teasm could easily snatch a 4th champ spot and theres a few in there that will make it hard for tope 4 teams, like birmingham, and fulham and Everton were well unlucky ther other day as well...

So overal a much much more open league for the first time in prob 5 yrs...
  • Options
    If any of them went to the wall I'd like it to be Chelsea - but I think they're the least likely to do so because of avasandwich's billions. Much as I despise their 'supporters' the Arse play some goregous football, so would prefer it if they stayed as one of the 'big four'. I've commented on another thread about the ManYoo situation - couldn't give a toss about them but they're arguably in an even worse long-term position, financially speaking, than Liverpool.

I saw a post on another forum a while back which broke down Benitez's spending, the money his team's success in the chumpions' league had generated and the money the owners had actually given him directly to fund new signings. You'd be surprised at the figures - it broke down that he'd actually earned 95% of the money he'd spent on transfers either through the sale of other players (including some of the dreck he inherited from Houllier), release of players on high wages at the end of contract instead of renewing them, or through prize money from the champions' league, league positions, cup runs etc. Now, don't get me wrong, he's signed some absolute plums (Lucas, Voronin, Dossena, Degen spring to mind) but I don't think he's even half to blame for what's gone on at Anfield.

His biggest mistake was pissing Alonso off last year by openly courting Gareth Barry to replace him. Even that situation could have been rectified if Gillett and Hicks had just ponied up the cash - they ended up haggling over 2 million and he went to Citeh.

Anyway, it's immaterial - they can't afford to sack him. Most of the fans are still behind him anyway (though whether they still will be after tonight remains to be seen) and getting shot of him now would cost the club 12 million, plus whatever it takes to recruit a new manager (and you'd better believe that, as far as the mickeys are concerned, the only name on that shortlist should begin with M and end in ourinho. - who isn't exactly averse to picking up substantial wages)

In a funny way, whilst the football in the prem has, for the most part, been utter toss this season, what's going on off the field is far more interesting.
  • Options
    I think it could pan out to be a fantastic season that really breaks things open at the top for the first time in a long time......

and we all love a smaller team bloodying the nose of the bigger boys...
  • Options
    Remember when Newcastle were one of the "big 4" or whatever it was at the time? Leeds? If Liverpool collapse, what difference would that make. Man City or Villa will just take over from them, like they took over from Leeds.

Same shit, different names.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't see Chelsea being at risk.

They have just turned their debt into equity so are healthy financially that nearly all the other sides in the Prem.

Never liked Liverpool and their armies of fans who don't come from Merseyside (yes, you Liverpool and long before anyone was making the same jibe at Man U) and would love to see them struggle but it is a long season.

For Liverpool to fail one of the other teams needs to step up. At the moment City look the most likely but not sure they have the strength in depth. Let's see who they buy but Mancini has been clever using what he has (switching Company seems to bolstered the defence).

Can't see Man Utd dropping out of the top four. We'll maybe not until Fergie quits.
  • Options
    Obviously both of them dropping out of the top four is rather unlikely but this is the first season that they look weak on and off the field. I just hope arsenal dont get swallowed up into it all with either the russian or yank. Arsenal the original franchise fc
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Can't see Chelsea being at risk.

They have just turned their debt into equity so are healthy financially that nearly all the other sides in the Prem.

Never liked Liverpool and their armies of fans who don't come from Merseyside (yes, you Liverpool and long before anyone was making the same jibe at Man U) and would love to see them struggle but it is a long season.

For Liverpool to fail one of the other teams needs to step up. At the moment City look the most likely but not sure they have the strength in depth. Let's see who they buy but Mancini has been clever using what he has (switching Company seems to bolstered the defence).

Can't see Man Utd dropping out of the top four. We'll maybe not until Fergie quits.[/quote]

United would have made a £40m loss if it wasn't for the sale of Ronaldo.

Vidic, by all accounts, wants to go to Spain; Ferdinand and Hargreaves careers, through chronic injury, are in doubt; father time has caught up with Scholes, Giggs and Neville; the likes of Nani, Brown, Park, Anderson, O'Shea and Owen simply aren't good enough imo to be in the starting XI on a regular basis.

So where does the money come from to buy quality replacements given that United need to service their debt and ongoing interest?

Given all of that wouldn't it now be the time for Fergie to quit and walk away whilst United are somewhere near the top? He now had interests outside football (his horses in particular) that he didn't 5 years ago (when he was originally going to retire) so perhaps he will decide to bow out at the end of the season gracefully.
  • Options
    You just know they wont finish in the top 4 but will win the Europa league therefore only the top 3 enter the champions league.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]You just know they wont finish in the top 4 but will win the Europa league therefore only the top 3 enter the champions league.

So the winner of the Europa gets placed into the Champions League the following season?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]Remember when Newcastle were one of the "big 4" or whatever it was at the time? Leeds? If Liverpool collapse, what difference would that make. Man City or Villa will just take over from them, like they took over from Leeds.

Not quite true. The difference between English football and any other place in Europe is that it doesn't circulate and that means that the money doesn't circulate. Sure teams like Inter and Barcelona have had entry to the Champions League every year, but in England it's been the same 4 for something like 10 years (this has not happened anywhere else) so there hasn't been the opportunity for the likes of a Roma, Valencia or Seville to grab a slice of the lucrative pie. Man City are something of a different case, but if someone like Villa got in there for a few years they'd get the funds (if spent wisely) to compete. And, presumably, somebody else wouldn't have that funding. So, you'd start the season not knowing which four teams would share out the top places. The only time that it's happened is when Everton crashed the party a few years ago, but they ended up hanging in there by the skin of their teeth and getting knocked out immediately, while UEFA bent the "rules" to let their mickey neighbours in anyway despite finishing 5th, thus preserving the comfortable status quo.
  • Options
    Henry Irving spot on - agree with your sentiments entirely

Growing up in the 80s and watching Charlton in the old first division, Liverpool were the plastics team of choice, so have always disliked them intensely

did they get a penalty at Anfield on each of the four times we played there 86-90?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]You just know they wont finish in the top 4 but will win the Europa league therefore only the top 3 enter the champions league.

So the winner of the Europa gets placed into the Champions League the following season?

That can't be right, looking at the winners Sevilla won it in 2006 and 2007 and they didn't go into the CL.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]

That can't be right, looking at the winners Sevilla won it in 2006 and 2007 and they didn't go into the CL.

That was the UEFA cup though. Same comp has been re-designed to the Europa, so it wouldnt suprise me if UEFA have had this 'bright' idea to make it more important. Anyone know for sure?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Can't see Chelsea being at risk.

Can't see Man Utd dropping out of the top four. We'll maybe not until Fergie quits.

United would have made a £40m loss if it wasn't for the sale of Ronaldo.

Vidic, by all accounts, wants to go to Spain; Ferdinand and Hargreaves careers, through chronic injury, are in doubt; father time has caught up with Scholes, Giggs and Neville; the likes of Nani, Brown, Park, Anderson, O'Shea and Owen simply aren't good enough imo to be in the starting XI on a regular basis.

So where does the money come from to buy quality replacements given that United need to service their debt and ongoing interest?

Given all of that wouldn't it now be the time for Fergie to quit and walk away whilst United are somewhere near the top? He now had interests outside football (his horses in particular) that he didn't 5 years ago (when he was originally going to retire) so perhaps he will decide to bow out at the end of the season gracefully.

If i was a United fan i'd also be a bit worried about AC Milan's current form. United will struggle against them in their CL tie.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]

did they get a penalty at Anfield on each of the four times we played there 86-90?

Yes, and at least one dodgy pen in the prem.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]did they get a penalty at Anfield on each of the four times we played there 86-90?

I think the same thing happened at Everton aw well, 7 pens in 8 games.
  • Options
    Well said, Henry. I think as a lot of people started to really hate Man Utd due to their legions of plastics, they forgot that Liverpool were the original plastic's team of choice, as kinveachyaddick said. I have never stopped loathing them for that reason. If you want evidence, just listen to one of the 606 phone-ins and you will hear an endless barrage of southerners moaning about how it's not fair because Liverpool don't win everything like they used to do in the 1980's! I often wonder why Alan Green doesn't ask them 'what the hell do you support Liverpool for? You're from London FFS!'

That programme is hilarious. I see the (mainly plastic) supporters of the Sky 4 as a bunch of petulant, tantrum throwing children. When their team is not at the top of the premiership the toys go right out of the pram and you can almost hear them jumping up and down as they scream and wail about how they should be winning everything as if it is their right...........and it's amazing how loyalty seems to be an entirely alien concept to them as well as they scream for the head of a manager who has bought them trophy after trophy due to the fact that a team outside the Sky 4 monopoly had the temerity to beat them at a football match!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]Well said, Henry. I think as a lot of people started to really hate Man Utd due to their legions of plastics, they forgot that Liverpool were the original plastic's team of choice, as kinveachyaddick said. I have never stopped loathing them for that reason. If you want evidence, just listen to one of the 606 phone-ins and you will hear an endless barrage of southerners moaning about how it's not fair because Liverpool don't win everything like they used to do in the 1980's! I often wonder why Alan Green doesn't ask them 'what the hell do you support Liverpool for? You're from London FFS!'

That programme is hilarious. I see the (mainly plastic) supporters of the Sky 4 as a bunch of petulant, tantrum throwing children. When their team is not at the top of the premiership the toys go right out of the pram and you can almost hear them jumping up and down as they scream and wail about how they should be winning everything as if it is their right...........and it's amazing how loyalty seems to be an entirely alien concept to them as well as they scream for the head of a manager who has bought them trophy after trophy due to the fact that a team outside the Sky 4 monopoly had the temerity to beat them at a football match!

Yep, I couldn't believe how many empty seats there were with 10 mins left of the CL game they lost at OT the other week. They were only 1-0 down and have a history of scoring late goals, yet thousands walked out. If they have a trophyless season or two then I think you might see OT have the highest number of empty seats in the country. A large proportion of their fans seem to think it's their right and fully expect them to win at least a trophy every year, to be in the semi/finals of all the cups, and to be challenging for the prem right up to then end.

Current form means they could very well get nothing, and be out of all the cups sooner rather than later.

Also, one of the comments on the Guardian article is bang on. Last year was about as good as it can get for them, they did a prem and CL double, yet their debt increased. Logic would dictate without further investment that debt is going to grow faster and faster the fewer trophies they win.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]Well said, Henry. I think as a lot of people started to really hate Man Utd due to their legions of plastics, they forgot that Liverpool were the original plastic's team of choice, as kinveachyaddick said. I have never stopped loathing them for that reason. If you want evidence, just listen to one of the 606 phone-ins and you will hear an endless barrage of southerners moaning about how it's not fair because Liverpool don't win everything like they used to do in the 1980's! I often wonder why Alan Green doesn't ask them 'what the hell do you support Liverpool for? You're from London FFS!'

I take your point but Liverpool (or any of the rest of 'Sky 4') are hardly in the same 'plastic league' as the Mancs as the Mancs would be only too pleased to point out to anyone who could be bothered to listen. The Mancs are the undisputed 'Kings of Plastic'!

As discussed on the current 'Mancs in financial difficulties' thread I feel the sooner the elite PL teams implode the better for the rest of football. Hopefully it would see a reduction in the 'plastic' but sadly we live in a society where many feel the need to go with the crowd and be associated with success.
  • Options
    Torres out for 6 weeks
    Gerrard out for 2
    Benayoun out for 3-4 weeks

Really going to struggle
  • Options
    Liverpool surely have to sign another striker, I think Benetiz has made a lot of mistakes upfront, Ok Keane, Crouch, Bellamy etc were never going to be Liverpool's main man (like Torres, Owen, Fowler, Rush etc) but they provided good alternatives and will always score goals yet were sold and not replaced properly.

They are left with Ngog, Kuyt, El Zhar (can't think of other strikers they have no Voronin has gone and Torres out for 6 weeks), Bolton have a more potent threat than Liverpool atm.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Liverpool surely have to sign another striker, I think Benetiz has made a lot of mistakes upfront, Ok Keane, Crouch, Bellamy etc were never going to be Liverpool's main man (like Torres, Owen, Fowler, Rush etc) but they provided good alternatives and will always score goals yet were sold and not replaced properly

I dis-agree with crouch, he was never going to be the main man but always seemed to score when he played and i think was a bad mistake to let him go. i do however think crouchy is under-rated, if he gets regularly games he will always score. he's not a natural goal scorer but he does have a habit of scoring, if that makes sense?
    also when crouch is on the pitch generally get 1 or 2 people marking him from set pieces so there is space for someone else if 2 people on him, also even though he isnt the biggest aerial threat he still worries defenders as he is like 6-7inches above them

Deinateley think if he had stayed and they had not signed robbie keane(in my oppinion he is well overated!) i reckon he would have done really well, would be perfect striker for Torres, in fact i'd say only team he wouldn't do a job is Chelsea in the premiership
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]Remember when Newcastle were one of the "big 4" or whatever it was at the time? Leeds? If Liverpool collapse, what difference would that make. Man City or Villa will just take over from them, like they took over from Leeds.

Not quite true. The difference between English football and any other place in Europe is that it doesn't circulate and that means that the money doesn't circulate. Sure teams like Inter and Barcelona have had entry to the Champions League every year, but in England it's been the same 4 for something like 10 years (this has not happened anywhere else) so there hasn't been the opportunity for the likes of a Roma, Valencia or Seville to grab a slice of the lucrative pie. Man City are something of a different case, but if someone like Villa got in there for a few years they'd get the funds (if spent wisely) to compete. And, presumably, somebody else wouldn't have that funding. So, you'd start the season not knowing which four teams would share out the top places. The only time that it's happened is when Everton crashed the party a few years ago, but they ended up hanging in there by the skin of their teeth and getting knocked out immediately, while UEFA bent the "rules" to let their mickey neighbours in anyway despite finishing 5th, thus preserving the comfortable status quo.

It's all recycled back into the team, that's why it's a big issue that Liverpool missed out on the knockout stages of the Champions' League and look like they might miss out on the top 4 in the league. If Villa finished in 4th, they'd have the money to be able to repeat that performance next season and the season after that (meanwhile Liverpool with their massive CL expenditure and no matching revenue hit troubled times at best). Pretty quickly, you now have a new top 4. Liverpool haven't always qualified for the Champions' League - once upon a time it was Blackburn or Newcastle or Leeds instead.

[cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]

I take your point but Liverpool (or any of the rest of 'Sky 4') are hardly in the same 'plastic league' as the Mancs as the Mancs would be only too pleased to point out to anyone who could be bothered to listen. The Mancs are the undisputed 'Kings of Plastic'!

As discussed on the current 'Mancs in financial difficulties' thread I feel the sooner the elite PL teams implode the better for the rest of football. Hopefully it would see a reduction in the 'plastic' but sadly we live in a society where many feel the need to go with the crowd and be associated with success.

Be careful what you wish for. If Man United or Liverpool collapses, what chance does Charlton have? Could be a lot of debt called in very fast. I don't like either Man Utd or Liverpool, but I'm not sure I really want them to hit too many rocks
  • Options
    Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks has finally agreed a deal to sell his major league baseball team, the Texas Rangers.

Following an extensive negotiating process, Hicks has an agreement in place to sell the team to a group headed by Pittsburgh attorney Chuck Greenberg and Rangers pitching legend Nolan Ryan for a price that could exceed US dollars 500 million (£310million).

Agreement was reached late on Saturday night in Texas, and came 24 hours after an exclusive negotiating window had expired.

"Together, we have worked exhaustively since last month to attain this agreement," Hicks said in a statement. "It's a complex business deal that positions the franchise positively for the future."

The deal must still be approved by Major League Baseball and the banks that hold the debt on the Hicks Sports Group, and may not be finalised until April.

It is not clear whether Hicks intends to use any of the proceeds from the deal to aid Liverpool's troubled financial position.