Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was. Sat 13th Feb 1999. Charlton 1 Liverpool 0

edited February 2008 in General Charlton
Saturday 13th February 1999. The Valley. Att: 20,043

Charlton Athletic 1 (0) (K Jones 70) Liverpool 0 (0)

Charlton: Royce, Mills, Brown, Tiler, Powell, Robinson, K Jones, Kinsella, Redfern (Barnes 66), Hunt, Pringle (Bright 83). Unused subs: Ilic, Newton, Barness.

Liverpool: James, Heggem, Matteo, Carragher, Staunton, Redknapp, Ince, Bjornebye (Song 74, McManaman, Fowler, Owen (Reidle 81). Unused subs: Thompson, Gerrard, Friedel.

Referee: Mike Reed (Birmingham)

Jamie Carragher was sent off in the 66th minute after catching Pringle in the throat with his arm.

Betting scam: Two days before the game, police arrested three Malaysians and a Charlton Man, employed by the club, when they discovered that electric cables at The Valley had been tampered with. They believe they thwarted an attempt by big money betting sydicates in the Far East to cause an abandonment of the game by blowing the floodlights.

Comments

• aaaaaaaaah the good old days vintage stuff, false hope given for our fight against relegation but still mightily enjoyable , i just don't get the same thrill beating nobody fc in this league as i did when we were beating the likes of liverpool and co... the sooner we get back there the better as far as i'm concerned...
  • I was wondering what Gerrard was doing as an unused sub until I looked up his age. He was still only 18.

Still a decent team we beat that day though.
  • little keithy jones remember the game well,barnsey done well when he came on
  • WSSWSS
    edited February 2008
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]little keithy jones remember the game well,barnsey done well when he came on
    Only because noone could run around the fat git!

Still oozed quality though.
  • I think we had just started to develop North Stand at this time and the roof had been rmoved. My season ticket was in Jimmy Seed which we shared with the away supporters and remember singing 'was it you that stole our roof' to the Scousers.
  • I remember that game very well. It was one of those cold sunny winter days, Keith Jones grabbing the winner and walking back to the car afterwards in a state of shock.
  • [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]I think we had just started to develop North Stand at this time and the roof had been rmoved. My season ticket was in Jimmy Seed which we shared with the away supporters and remember singing 'was it you that stole our roof' to the Scousers.

Dont think that was the game, think that was when they beat us 4-0 on last day of the season in 2001
  • [cite]Posted By: CrispyCAFC[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]I think we had just started to develop North Stand at this time and the roof had been rmoved. My season ticket was in Jimmy Seed which we shared with the away supporters and remember singing 'was it you that stole our roof' to the Scousers.

Dont think that was the game, think that was when they beat us 4-0 on last day of the season in 2001

it was, and we stood and appluded those wall pushing bastards after the game as well
  • Your memory is obviously better than mine !!!
    Did like the atmosphere back then in South Stand.
    Although it was freezing as sat by the red railings - next to where the big screen is nowadays - totally at the mercy of the wind.
  • Was sitting in the West Stand for this one. Remember Johhny Barnes gettting a great reception from the Scousers when him was warming up by the Jimmy Seed. Was convinced he scored the goal when I saw it, but no.. Good old Keith Jones.

If only there were more people like him around. True professional
  • Sponsored links:

• Am I right in thinking that the goal came after a rather robust challenge on a Liverpool player by Steve Brown that left the Red Scouser writhing in agony on the floor demanding a free kick, which the ref ignored? Or was that another game?
  • Barnesy, quality he was wss your right ooozed class. Have to say i didnt think he was any good when he was with the red shite and played for england (brazil aside of course) but he was quality for us i loved his ability to ping balls to robbo without stepping out of the centre circle. Quality

I was also in the jimmy seed that day! blindin season ticket that was
  • God bless Keith Jones!
  • Got the Video tape of this game.

A great achievement against a very good side despite where they finished that season.
  • capacity crowd and a lot of noise despite no roof ... superb result
  • AHH THE MEMORIES

I miss those games
  • I thought that off all the teams that year Liverpool were the most dissapointing.......

Yes we did well to contain them, but they really were poor that day, by there standards, or there previous standards.....
  • and a special mention to Mr Jones
  • Still got the highlights of Mark Mansfield's commentary taped off the radio from that game. Of the traditional "Big 4", Liverpool were always the most beatable all the way through our Premier tenure (well apart from the 5 victories on the spin against Chelsea but they weren't proper big then!). Loved our late '90s side. Simon Royce in goal: a very good keeper who seemed to spend far too much of his career being second choice. Much as I liked Ilic he got shown up a couple of times that season, I think we might have got a couple of crucial points more if Royce had been in goal for the duration.
  • Thompson on the Liverpool bench? Surely he was doing SSGSS by then?
  • Sponsored links:

• David Thompson
  • What we'd give for a Keith Jones now!
  • Myself and NSS was talking about this on Tuesday night how good was Keith Jones in that game as said above how we could do with someone like him now .
  • Simon Royce! I forgot all about him.

If I remember correctly, Barnes gave them bit of a masterclass when he came on. Or is my memory playing tricks on me?
  • Would it be nice to have quality like Redfern in our team now.
  • As usual the Programme can be seen here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/7406400948

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • Great game, it was my birthday that day and I was worried Charlton would get a beating, but my dad had the faith I would be adding points to the present pile.

They all played brilliantly, remember Royce pulling off a worldy from McManaman and thinking 'we might be ok'.

To have some of that heart on the pitch now...
  • BTW, is 7 years a record in terms of a retrospective abuse flag on a post?
  • Just goes to show that doing well in the league is not the only thing that makes going to CAFC enjoyable. You have to have that feeling of heart and passion from the players transferred to the stands. We have missed this all season.