Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

14 competitive games into the season...

..,almost 3 months after the season started, and what is the sum total of goals scored by any of our midfielders or defenders (excluding penalty shoot-out goals)? Yes, that's right, the big fat ZERO. I bet there isn't another team in the country which hasn't managed to rustle up at least one goal from midfield or defence. Astonishing really. Must be a good chance of correcting this in the next 2 games, hopefully.

Comments

• didn't realise that...bout time that was rectified cause we'd be fooked if Benty (Darren that is!) gets injured !!
  • Yet last night, our only player to not score his pen was a striker... JFH...!
  • It really is quite frightening to think where we would be without Darren Bent. Even last season how many points would we have got if you removed his goals scored from the team. Let's just keep our fingers crossed re injuries for the rest of this season.
  • you right, its a big problem.

but how do we go about changing it ?

obviously set pieces are a major factor, and we haven't looked anywhere near dangerous enough from both free kicks and corners.

but other than that, the formation we have used in the last few league games SHOULD benefit the midfield. THomas and Romm from wide have the ability to get forward, and Reid with the free role should have enough licence to get in the box. We are getting the bodies forward and in the box, its not as if we are leaving the strikers isolated...
  • It is strangely ironic that, when we finally get the 20 goals a season striker that we have been after for so long, the goals from the other areas should dry up. Considering that traditionally our goals have always come from all over the pitch.

Saying that, I'm pretty confident that the midfield will start to to find the net sooner rather than later. The trio of Thomas, Reid and Rommedahl really should be looking at least 10 to 15 goals a season between them playing the formation we are at the moment.
  • edited November 2006
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]It is strangely ironic that, when we finally get the 20 goals a season striker that we have been after for so long, the goals from the other areas should dry up. Considering that traditionally our goals have always come from all over the pitch.

Not a coincidence in my view, if you have goalscorers then the midfield looks to play them in, you don't and they look more often to score themselves or play in other players. Having a good goalscorer is great, but not the panacea often assumed. For example, we consistently outscored Southampton despite them having Beattie banging them in on a regular basis whilst our strikers couldn't score more than six in a season!
  • edited November 2006
    I wouldn't disagree with you on that SS however, when you consider the players we have, the downturn of goals from the middle does seem dramatic.

Some interesting stats I found on another blog.

Link
  • Mind you, if JFH finishes the season with 9-10 goals, would we be disappointed with that ?