Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Henry you might know this ?

edited February 2008 in General Charlton
Do you think the club are doing enough 'tapping up' of Chinese companies to sponsor us. Ive seen on the t.v man city matches that have loads of chinese adverts around the ground becuase of there chinese player. We have got China's captain. Maybe the club could invite the Chinese Ambassador to a match. Since they have the olympics and then us (London) then surely the club can do more.

Comments

• Options
    Premier v Championship I'm afraid.

Whole different ball game if we get promoted.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I was expecting that answer but I do think that is a bit of a coup out from the club if thats there view. I could be wrong they could be really making an effort I hope they are as its a huge market out there maybe the club are so consious of 'being nice and twee' they are scared of china's supposed reputation.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Remember that we already had contacts in China before ZZ came following the tour about 3 years ago. That is how we got ZZ.

Bit unfair to say "surely the club can do more" when you don't know what we are actually doing behind the scenes. Big corporations slap Non-Disclosure Agreements about when negotiating sponsorships as they don't want others to know what they are doing or that they missed out on a deal.

In China and elsewhere it is the Premier League or nothing so ground adverts would only be seen as worthwhile by companies at a premier League ground.

I'm not privy to which company or companies we talking to do about shirt sponsorship but the club are aware of the potential Chinese connection and have a number of meetings about a number of subjects relating to ZZ and China. We're very close to Shandong Luneng FC and there has also been talk about some TV shows about ZZ but always the interest is in the Premier League.

I'm NOT saying that that means we'll have a Chinese shirt sponsor or that there is even one in the running but the club would have to be very very stupid not to have made the same connection as you and then followed it up.

And Peter Varney is not stupid, not by a long shot and Steve Sutherland has negotiated big sponsorship deals with us and with the Football league (as well as once winning Fiftheen to One : - )
  • Options
    So who's our Chinese Sponsor next year? It best not be the restaurant opposite the train station.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]So who's our Chinese Sponsor next year? It best not be the restaurant opposite the train station.
    Why not? According to Weegie it's easier to get a beer in there than the Oak! ;-p
  • Options
    The new sponsor is the Royal Oak. Unfortunately they had to cut down on bar staff to pay for it. : -)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]Do you think the club are doing enough 'tapping up' of Chinese companies to sponsor us. Ive seen on the t.v man city matches that have loads of chinese adverts around the ground becuase of there chinese player. We have got China's captain. Maybe the club could invite the Chinese Ambassador to a match. Since they have the olympics and then us (London) then surely the club can do more.

Those advertisements are there because those matches are being broadcast back to Asia and China, not just because they have a Chinese player. The Premiership is widely broadcast around the world and attracts a lot of attention - the current TV rights contract is worth around £625m internationally, but I doubt that CCC matches are being broadcast legally in China, or generate much interest other than a few fans who look up Charlton to see what ZZ is up to - however should we get back into the Premiership that would change. Bear in mind ZZ was signed a year ago, after the start of the season and therefore after contracts to advertise had been agreed and signed. Also I'd be surprised if the club itself sells the ad hoardings around the pitch, that is likely contracted out to a third party who are in touch with the ad agencies and companies etc, at least for televised matches that would be the case.