Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Timeteam On Channel 4

edited February 2008 in Not Sports Related
with Tony Robinson was about defending Shooters Hill in World War 2.

Anybody else see it? It was fascinating for an old fogey like me.

They dug up Eaglesfield and found a barrage balloon site. I always thought there was a barrage balloon site in the field behind Christ Church primary School but that didn't get mentioned although the offy attached to The Bull and the War Memorial Hospital did.

They also found this big air raid shelter in a "sleepy cul de sac" which they reckon was a communication centre for British resistance in the event of invasion. The cul de sac I reckon is in Ashridge Crescent or Kinlet Road. Bushmoor Crescent may also have a cul de sac come to think of it.

Sorry if this bores the youngsters but there might be a few other old fogies besides me (Goonerhater?) who are ex Shooters Hil residents and might be interested.

Comments

• Options
    quality that was my primary school christ church

i used to live right on the top of shooters hill next to the water tower
  • Options
    I watched the programme, some of it was filmed very close to my house, In the field behind Christchurch there used to be a water treatment plant, providing fresh water to the various hospitals further down the hill, I think they were demolised after the war.
  • Options
    missed it. Their were resistance cells and bunkers set up across southern England. Fascinating but not often told part of WWII history.
  • Options
    ShootersHillGuru watched and was also facinated. In fact it showed the street name where I live. Very exiting ! Doesn`t make me sad though does it ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]quality that was my primary school christ church

Did you live in Cleanthus Rd Ollie? My best mate lived there (his mum still does).

Len - the air raid shelter thing looked like it was by the old firestation from the map they showed.
  • Options
    on a slightly diferent note..........did anone see the Bafta's tonight, more importantly Daniel Day Lewis's acceptance speech about growing up in Greenwich/blackheath/depford etc. I didn't know he was a local lad - think he may be a spanner though as he mention the terraces at the toolbox.
  • Options
    Golfie - yup, I did a major double take when he mentioned Invicta and Sherrington, even before he got onto the other bits.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]quality that was my primary school christ church

Did you live in Cleanthus Rd Ollie? My best mate lived there (his mum still does).

Len - the air raid shelter thing looked like it was by the old firestation from the map they showed.

They showed a shot of the houses and Eaglesfield Road (where the Fire Station is although I believe it is now flats) didn't have that style of house.

Ashridge Crescent, Bushmoor Crescent, Mereworth Drive and Kinlet Road was the Laing estate if memory serves me right.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Swordinhand[/cite]I watched the programme, some of it was filmed very close to my house, In the field behind Christchurch there used to be a water treatment plant, providing fresh water to the various hospitals further down the hill, I think they were demolised after the war.

I was always told it was a barrage balloon point although we used to be told not to play on it as it was unsafe with a big drop underneath if the ground gave way.

I know there was (is) an underground reservoir in Castle Woods beyond Sevendroog Castle.

Do you live in Occupation Lane off Shrewsbury Lane? That was an unmade road in my day!

Sorry, confusing you with Shooters Hill guru!
  • Options
    Watched the programme with my youngest not so fogey daughter, she was as interested as I was to see a part of our history that I know little about.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There are chalk caves that go from the old Woolwich Arse site to Shootershill. These are as old as God. Have been used for loads of tasks the most recent was The British Library(now not used).

Had a chance couple years ago to go down embut couldnt make it gutted would have be interesting.
  • Options
    Without meaning to sound like a boring old git, I love this sort of local history. If it's something you can see and touch it makes all the difference and brings it all to life.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]Without meaning to sound like a boring old git, I love this sort of local history. If it's something you can see and touch it makes all the difference and brings it all to life.

You and me both.

I (surprisingly!) wasn't around in World War 2 but my parents and both sets of grandparents were in Shooters Hill except when evacuated in the case of my parents.

The Eagle Pub in Red Lion Lane suffered a direct hit from a bomb in World War 2 and tragically people died and were severely injured.

My grandmother was a nurse living nearby and did what she could to alleviate the suffering.

That kind of personal knowledge also brings it to life and gives an inkling of what it must have been like to live through it.

My mother, her brother and sister and my grandfather, who was home on leave, were walking by the Academy at the bottom of Red Lion Lane when a German plane started shooting because the soldiers were marching on the parade ground.

They had to throw themselves on the ground and hope for the best. As you can imagine such an experience as a child had a profound effect.

Again that sort of knowledge makes one very interested in what happened at the time.

Sorry to ramble on!
  • Options
    For all those interested in WW2 grass roots accounts, read the 'Forgotten Voices' series of books. Full of personal accounts, some local some not. In the one on The Battle of Britain and the Blitz there is an account by a gunner who manned the AA Gun at the Black Prince pub in Bexley, also Woolwich Arsenal gets loads of mentions. Great read (s). If you know your history, its ...etc...etc...
  • Options
    Spent many a fascinating hour over at the old Arsenal at Woolwich as a lad.....some of the stuff we found was amazing...underground hospitals, the firing ranges, the little moted testing laboratories....shell casings, bits of rifles, hand grenades....some pretty spooky stuff. Hvae since spent many a day on French/Belgium battlefields and museums....obviously had a profound effect on this old fogey :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]Golfie - yup, I did a major double take when he mentioned Invicta and Sherrington, even before he got onto the other bits.

so that's me and ddl that went to invicta and sherington jb...anybody else on here ?
  • Options
    People often confuse me Len. In fact I do live in Occupation Lane and its still an un made road.