Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Missing the point

edited February 2008 in General Charlton
Palace fan here. I think that one important point has been missed tonight, judging by some of the vitriol in some quarters (I'm not singling anyone out in particular for this), and that is the match.

I have watched a steady stream of dire matches, albeit our 15 match unbeaten run did compensate for this, and I am hoping tonight that the game will provide a bit of competitiveness, passion and, this may be beyond the realms of fantasy, flair. The quality of the Championship this season is terrible, highlighted by the ease of our ascent up the table, and their are some truely appalling teams who are quite content to play 10 men behind the ball, get a goal on the break or from a set piece and then shut-up shop.

I have hopes that tonights fixture will be different and that both teams put in a perfomance that is glowing advert for the Championship. If neither team can raise their game for this one, then you have to question the abilities of the management and the committment of the players.

My eyes will be firmly on the pitch tonight. Let's hope it is a worthy spectacle.

Comments

• Options
    Sadly, I think tonights game is going to be panicky, ugly, and will be won by either side in a one goal calamity situation!
  • Options
    A very fair post, welcome.

Personally, i would of thought your best asset would of been to turn it into a competitive, niggly scrappy game. It if goes down to open expansive football, i think we will be too good for you.

I think its going to be a strange one tonight, because neither side can ill afford to lose. If we lose the autos are getting away from us, if you lose then the plays off gap will start to open up.

A see a draw and not a particularly good spectacle, with both sides cancelling each other out.
  • Options
    i echo those sentiments
  • Options
    fair point nige

it will be a scrappy game and i think palace will come here for the draw.we WILL win 1-0
  • Options
    Don't quite get what you are saying.

You admit that your football has been dire but that results have compensated for this which is fair enough but somehow you expect tonight, a derby with two sides only a couple of points between them to be some how better.

Your description of 10 men behind the ball, get a set piece etc seems to match the description of Palace under Warnock if Holloway and the Saints care-taker are to be believed. It certainly rings true with how you played against us at Selhurst except you weren't very well organised.

I think Charlton will struggle to cope with the high ball and closing down and can only see an 0-0 or 1-0 result unless we can score early as against Blackpool.

As you said yourself sometimes results compensate for performance and either set of fans will go home happy if it is a terrible spectacle but their side wins.
  • Options
    Matt, nice of you to come on here and not big it up like some of the morons on the boards, but the fact is your team are also one of those who do not play an attractive game.

We are certainly capable of raising our game and playing good football but I have my doubts that Warnock will be able to do that with your players.

Gotta agree with the other comments on here, it's probably not going to be a game for the purist but you will see a lot more football from Charlton than from Palace.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    warnocks over achieved with the players at his disposal and he can't play liquid football with the players available to him.
    Unlike us, palarse haven't spent much and we've spent a few mill and we can play attractive football and we've under achieved in this junk league so far IMO
  • Options
    I think you're the one missing the point. It's a Friday night London derby with a lot of history. That's the point, my friend. I couldn't care less whether it was an advert for championship football. It won't be anyway. You're playing under Warnock...?
  • Options
    Im sorry mate but i watched you the other week against leicester and the highlights of bristol city at home, thy looked such a better side than you, your like every other dire team in this league!Bar us, west brom, bristol city and ipswich every team is the same as each other!
  • Options
    Warnock does play, what I would term effective football. It is committed, athletic and in some parts ugly, but we do have players who play football. The game plan is to play hard against tough opponents, and most of the outfits in the championship are hard. With regards to Henry_Irvings comments, Leicester got as good as the gave and in certain circumstances you have to fight. Gorman & Dod are caretaker managers looking to preserve their position and whilst their football was relatively pretty to start with, the instruction to change their style happened quite early on in the proceedings - they were hardly sticking to footballing principles by doing so.

Ben Watson can produce sublime passes, Sean Scannell has pace and skill, Clinton Morrison is back to his pre-Taylor best and Paul Ifil, when fit which is alarmingly seldom, is one of the best wingers in the division. It is unfair to simply label us a hoof it and hope outfit.

One point worth addressing is that we have some exceptional youngsters. Hopefully Victor Moses will make the impact he has long been threatening to do tonight. He is a 17 year old striker who has been scoring goals for fun in our reserves & for England under-18's. We have an excellent academy which is bringing through some players that are a joy to watch, and they have been one of the brightest aspects of our slightly odd season.

I have to say my hopes of a 'glowing advert for the Championship' are said more from the heart than head - I do agree with the majority view that a turgid, midfield scrap is probably the most the likely outcome, and that will be interesting. Derry has been superb since re-joining us, Watson is playing the football of his career and Soares is improving game by game. At the Selhurst game I was very impressed with the Chinese international you have, and believe me, he will face a different midfield from us tonight.

Let's hope we get the game both sets of fans yearn for.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2008
    Watson can deliver from a set piece 40 yards outside the box. He is useless at corners, won't track back, is crap in the tackle and is ginger.

Scannell is twelve with a haircut striaght from Alien.

Clinton Morrison scores 80% of his goals off his shins - usually hitting him as the defender tries to clear. Slow, old and past it.

Ifill makes Anderton look like a fitness trainer - has he ever played 3 90 minute games on the trot?

Moses was awful in the reserve game against us.

What else have you got? The rest of your team are nothing but humpers and lumpers with no real skillful attributes other than stopping the opposition from playing. Derry? Soares? Hill/Hall/Halls/Hills (or whatever combination you put out). The only true class player you have appears to be Bostock - who won't even be playing as Villa have signed him and won't allow it.
  • Options
    I feel like I've just read the entire crystal palace website.
  • Options
    i think he just saying,is that this league is utter shite and he hopes that tonight's game will be better than the crap that has been served so far this season.
  • Options
    oooaaahmortimer, the voice of reason.

big puff.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    [cite]Posted By: matt_himself[/cite]

Let's hope we get the game both sets of fans yearn for.

Yes, a skillful open game for you and three points for us then everyone is happy.
  • Options
    we shall see.

If you are going MH, will be interested in your views post-match
  • Options
    Addickted - I was hoping for something more insightful that comment you made about Scannell (not to mention some of the other comments). I came on here to debate the match, as there seem to be few places and people actually talking about the game itself, and quite a lot of people seem to be wrapped up in tribal chest-beating nonsense which appears to benefit no-one. I am curious though, given your knowledge of our team, are you a secret Palace fan? Will you be humming 'Glad All Over' with your hand furtively over your mouth tonight as the teams run on the pitch, whilst holding your Steve Coppell keyring tightly in the other hand?

Henry - I want to see a decent game, a proper derby, but of course I want to see us win. I don't think it is a confusing statement to wish for a derby to be entertaining.

AFKA - Thank you for your comments. I will of course provide my thoughts, whatever the result.
  • Options
    quite a lot of people seem to be wrapped up in tribal chest-beating nonsense which appears to benefit no-one.

good fun though !
  • Options
    As an aside, you come on here and post sensibly, and i hope everyone is respectful of that and replies in kind.
  • Options

Henry - I want to see a decent game, a proper derby, but of course I want to see us win. I don't think it is a confusing statement to wish for a derby to be entertaining.

Matt, get off your high horse. Addickted's opinions, albeit slightly tongue in cheek, of the Palace players and squad are as valid as yours and you haven't attempted to counter any of them.

No, not confusing but it is contradictory to praise Warnock's "effective" football that has brought you some success but still want or expect flowing open football especially as that would hand the advantage to CAFC as Warnocks knows.

Warnock is doing what every manager should. Getting the most out of his players and playing a system that best suits their skills and abilities. Curbs did the same for many years but eventually Charlton fans tired of it.

Moses was indeed poor in the reserve game he played against Charlton and was outshone by a number of young Charlton players in my opinion. Scannel may well become a good player but Soares and Watson (england u21s if I remember rightly?) were being touted as wonder kids a few years back and while still making a career in the Championship have yet to set the world alight. Far too early to talk about Moses and Scannel as real talents and especially when it seems that Chelsea and Villa are sniffing around them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2008
    Henry - I wasn't getting on my high horse.

You cannot judge players by reserve games - you judge them in first team games and Scannell has proved his worth this season, indeed, even chipping in with a quality goal during the run. I think you are slightly twisting my words when you say I was looking for 'free flowing' football - indeed, if you refer to my opening post, the qualities I was most looking for were "committment, passion and a bit of flair". It is not against Wranock's philosophy to state this as sometimes, we have played under him some quite attractive football, particularly when he adopts a 4-3-3 (usually at home) and things click. Which they have done, occasionally.
  • Options
    That would be the same infamous 4-3-3 we played under Curbishley for a few years. The one where it looks suspiciously a lot like a 4-5-1 but the wingers play half a metre in front of the three defensive midfielders...
  • Options
    Thanks to MH for actually being the only one in the last day or so to actually come on here and start a proper discussion.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]Thanks to MH for actually being the only one in the last day or so to actually come on here and start a proper discussion.

Agreed, regarding his comments about how players look in reserve football/first team football he's spot on. How many England youth internationals have we had over the years at Charlton? All great promising prospects...but how many have made it and become first team regulars? The answer is not enough and reserve team football, while it can be a reasonable guide, is simply not first team stuff and performances, good or bad need to be taken with a pinch of salt. Of what I've seen of Soares and Watson I've been impressed, they are still young and still have much football ahead of them, most likely in a better team than Palace, or Charlton.
  • Options
    As for what sort of a game we'll get, invariably the anticipation in derby matches is greater than the performance, and I expect an error strewn 90 minutes of football played at a tempo too fast for the skills of most of those involved. It'll be interesting to see which team looks the cohesive and can perform under the pressure. Some players thrive under noisy crowds, others tend to hide.
  • Options
    Well Scannel came on inthe 4-4-3 and Palace looked a bit better but he was in youga's pocket all night and I don't think they had more than one shot on target and that was straight into Weavers arms.
  • Options
    Well, I'm not quite sure what Palace were a glowing advert for tonight, but it wasn't the Championship, and it certainly wasn't football.

Would love to be a fly on the wall listening to Warnock explain that to Jordan...
  • Options
    Don't be harsh inspector, it was the ref's fault....
  • Options
    As a Charlton fan I would say it but........ football was the winner tonight.

Pardew is creating a team around players who can play 'football'. If the best we can do in the lumpers category are Holland and ZZ it gives an impression of a team with skill flair and pace. I think the only player who doesnt fulfill that category is McCarthy.

The problem is that sort of team wont always produce results eg Scunny and need to convert the chances when they come along. Thankfully we did tonight. Sheff Wed is going to be a real test to see if the team can keep the momentum going after the emotion of last nights game.

And thanks to MH for some excellent posts.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Welcome M_H..

Good to have another articulate opposition fan to add to SoS, Mortain and the others who contribute to this board, as AFKA says, hope the replies are given with the same respect you give us.

I also thought that football won today, we outplayed you and demonstrated that we are a better team of better players.

Colin's done well geeing up your team and the run you had was excellent and, i'll admit it, had me worried however I think you'll end up mid- table as, from what i've seen, there isn't any great quality to see in your team.

How do you see this season going now?