Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reidy on Leaving - Well done mate

WSSWSS
edited February 2008 in General Charlton
Former Charlton skipper Andy Reid will be supporting the Addicks from afar when they take on near neighbours Crystal Palace.

After sealing a £4m switch to Sunderland on transfer deadline day, the 25-year-old schemer would like nothing better than a derby win against the Eagles on Friday night (7.45pm).

"Whenever I get off the pitch now I'm playing for Sunderland, the Charlton result will be the first one I look for," said the Irishman.

"It's a fantastic club and I don't see any reason why the players and the staff can't go on and win promotion whatever way that will be. And it will be nice to keep that momentum going with a good win over Crystal Palace on Friday."

Reid revealed he was surprised at the speed of his move to Wearside, but admitted the lure of a return to the Premier League was too good to turn down.

"I went up on Wednesday and spoke to Roy Keane, and we took it from there," he explained.

"Sunderland are a massive club and it was a chance to play in the Premier League, which is the place to be.

"And such is the nature of the way finances are in football at the moment when you get relegated from the Premier League, you have to look at the bigger picture - and part of the bigger picture was getting the money for me.

"While I was sad to be leaving Charlton - because it's a great club that has always been good to me - it was too good an opportunity to turn down."

Reid joined the Addicks in summer 2006 from Tottenham Hotspur in a deal that ultimately amounted to £2.812m after ex-head coach Iain Dowie ended his frustrating spell at White Hart Lane.

The Dublin-born midfielder had made his mark at Nottingham Forest before moving south in an £8m double deal with Michael Dawson in January 2005.

He made 27 appearances in a season and a half with Spurs, scoring once, and during a similar spell in SE7 he featured 40 times, scoring on eight occasions.

Reid's persistent hamstring injury in the second half of last season restricted him to just one game under Pardew, and left him to watch on from the stands as the Addicks lost their top-flight status.

And no one will ever know if Charlton would have stayed up had the midfielder been able to contribute to the survival bid.

Reid returned fitter, stronger and more influential this season, skippering a new-look side and netting six times in 23 appearances before a knee injury, sustained at West Bromwich Albion in what proved to be his last Addicks outing in mid-December, consigned him to the treatment room.

Now he has joined the Black Cats' battle for survival, and he reflected: "It is a bit of a reversal. Last season, if I had been fit, I would have given anything to try to help Charlton stay up.

"And in the summer while I was recuperating and getting ready for pre-season, everyone around the club and the training ground were so great to me."

Working with Sunderland boss Keane, a man with whom he once shared the international midfield stage, was also a big factor, but Reid had nothing but praise for former boss Pardew and the Charlton team.

Andy continued: "The manager was great with me, even when I was injured last year. He helped me an awful lot and was a big factor in me getting back to the level of performances I got to.

"Obviously I'm sad to leave, because they are a great bunch of lads and I loved every second of playing with them and my time at Charlton."

Reflecting on the Addicks fans, Reid, who always enjoyed a special relationship with the Valley faithful, added: "I enjoyed my time there and was proud to play for the club.

"Unfortunately, things didn't work out the way I wanted, but although I didn't get to finish the job at Charlton, I hope the fans realise the opportunity was too good to turn down.

"However, I genuinely hope the club get promoted and do well. It's a fantastic club, and it will be great to see the name of Charlton back in the Premier League next season."

Comments

• Options
    top geezer.....still glad we have the money in the bank for him though.
  • Options
    Sounds rather like we pushed him out the door so we could get our hands on the dosh. Shame.
  • Options
    Yeah, I will cheer the boy whenever I see him play.
  • Options
    Actually makes me sadder he's gone, great attitude, football needs more players like that, he knows how much stuffing Palarse on Friday means to us, you could tell that by his face at the end of the game at the sh*thole early this season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Nug[/cite]Actually makes me sadder he's gone, great attitude, football needs more players like that, he knows how much stuffing Palarse on Friday means to us, you could tell that by his face at the end of the game at the sh*thole early this season.

Let's hope the players who are left behind realise it - this game could get the fans onside and the team on the up. It's not a must-win at this stage but I really think it's a pivotal moment in our season.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Sounds rather like we pushed him out the door so we could get our hands on the dosh. Shame.

If he was prepared to stay then we should never have sold him. That decision could really come back and bite us in the arse if we don't get promoted.

I remember his reaction to the win at shitehurst, top bloke!!
  • Options
    nice comments
  • Options
    As i said last week when the story broke, we forced him out rather than Reidy putting in a request.

Didn't have to take the £3.25 + add-ons & I'd much rather have Reidy to push for automatic promotion and get £40million + next year in the Prem than have the money in the bank and get £10m in paracute payments next season by not getting into the top six.

Yes, its that simple.
  • Options
    When a player leaves your club, as a loyal fan the sentiments Reidy has expressed is all you ask for.

It's all about money but a bit of fair play from the player doesn't hurt.
  • Options
    How did you manage to find something to moan at in that post....FFS!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks Reidy always give you a clap if we ever play against you again.

Now waiting for Alex Song to come back to the club. Get knocked out Cameroon
  • Options
    Thanks Reidy. Enjoyed watching you in a Charlton shirt. Nice to know you still care about our club.Hope we can all be happy Friday night.
  • Options
    Well done Reidy - that's brilliant.
    Except I am even more gutted now about him going :-(
  • Options
    followed him at Forest & always hoped he'd play for us

think we all (included him) wished it had turned out different

but heh, I have a great picture of himself & me (oh & my best bud) presenting him mom, so I got to meet him in the end

good on ya Reidy, enjoy the craic & you'll always have a hearty welcome in the Killer household!
  • Options
    Yeah all good but

dont a lot of players say this stuff do teh really mean it ?

Do they really give 2 hoots
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]Yeah all good but

dont a lot of players say this stuff do teh really mean it ?

Do they really give 2 hoots

Normally I would agree with you but the look on that players face at the end of the Palace away & Southampton Away games celebrating with the fans leave me in no doubt he loves Charlton.
  • Options
    and he went around the club to say cheerio to everyone
  • Options
    Well he did not give me a buzz before he left ;-)
  • Options
    and the way he said about how cold it was up north.....
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    [quote][cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]Thanks Reidy always give you a clap if we ever play against you again.

Now waiting for Alex Song to come back to the club. Get knocked out Cameroon[/quote]

Your wish is not granted I'm afraid - went through against Ghana last night.

Did anyone else see Bikey push the stretcher man over and get sent off? Really weird. Also looked like the stretcher man was about to push the Cameroon physio over before Bikey got to him.......what the hell was going on there?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3ptEXSTB_4
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    so basically he left cos he's greedy and couldnt be arsed to steer us back to the prem for another 6 months, feck him is my opinion, but then why should he be any different to the rest of the greedy bastards.

:)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PassItToLeaburn[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]Thanks Reidy always give you a clap if we ever play against you again.

Now waiting for Alex Song to come back to the club. Get knocked out Cameroon

Your wish is not granted I'm afraid - went through against Ghana last night.

Did anyone else see Bikey push the stretcher man over and get sent off? Really weird. Also looked like the stretcher man was about to push the Cameroon physio over before Bikey got to him.......what the hell was going on there?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3ptEXSTB_4

missed the earlier game unfortunately, but that later game was quite funny that last goal was superb, and drogba did an'arf look p'd off :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]so basically he left cos he's greedy and couldnt be arsed to steer us back to the prem for another 6 months, feck him is my opinion, but then why should he be any different to the rest of the greedy bastards.

:)

Like any human being? If someone offerd me 3x my salary at another firm I'd be off, no questions asked.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    It isnt just a business, e.g.how many people get paid full pay for half a year when they get sick? 6 months aren't gonna make that much of a difference. Footballers sign contracts of a limited duration, unlike most 'normal' people. Indeed its akin to my plumber buggering off to another job cos he is being offered more elsewhere despite agreeinng a price/contract with me.

I'm sure there are many other differences between footballers and human beings..

:D
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]As i said last week when the story broke, we forced him out rather than Reidy putting in a request.

Didn't have to take the £3.25 + add-ons & I'd much rather have Reidy to push for automatic promotion and get £40million + next year in the Prem than have the money in the bank and get £10m in paracute payments next season by not getting into the top six.

Yes, its that simple.

What colour is the sky on your planet?
  • Options
    It's grey, a dowdy dark grey sky and the grass is grey and the flowers are dead and the sun is black.......BLACK..........BLACK!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PassItToLeaburn[/cite]It's grey, a dowdy dark grey sky and the grass is grey and the flowers are dead and the sun is black.......BLACK..........BLACK!!!

LOL
  • Options
    what is the point of developing a team with assets (more talented players) if you sell them, I could understand a massively overstated bid of 6-7m or so suceeding, but really there is no point in running a club if you let people go who are going to get you where you want to be - it's not like we are overrun with talented footballers. A player like Reid is what differentiates you from other clubs in this division.
  • Options
    yes, he's certainly made a difference in the past 8 weeks. Reid is a great player but injury prone. £4m for such a player is a good deal. He can have all the talent in the world but if spends half the season in the treatment room what's the point?
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    true last season, not so true this season - how many games have we actually won in his absence? and its not like we've replaced him with someone.. is it?