Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - 5th February 1995. WBA 0 Charlton 1

edited February 2008 in General Charlton
Sunday 5th February 1995. The Hawthorns. Att: 12,084

West Bromwich Albion 0 (0) Charlton Athletic 1 (0) (Nelson 58)

West Brom: Naylor (Lange 70), O'Regan, Lilwall, Bradley, Mardon, Raven, Donovan, Smith (Ashcroft 46), Rees, Hunt (Taylor 60), Hamilton.

Charlton: Salmon, Brown, Stuart, Jones, Rufus, Balmer, Robson (Bennett 79), Nelson, Pardew, Whyte (McGleish 88), Mortimer. Unused sub: Petterson.

Referee: P Wright (Cheshire)

TV The match was covered live by LWT. It was the first time Charlton had won a live game since the 1947 cup final!

Skipper Garry Nelson was making his 670th league and cup appearance and it was the first time he had captained any side in his career.

Comments

• Was there.

Scott McLeish came on to 'Mcleish' ala Kenny Dalglish song.

Happy days.
  • I was there too.
    http://chicagoaddick.blogspot.com/2007/12/memories-of-west-bromwich-albion.html
  • Was there too.

Was it the one when some fans had a Curbishley out banner?

When they tried to unfurl it they was forced to put it away by other travelling Addicks
  • Any others there?
  • My earliest memory of seeing a Charlton game on the telly.
  • I remember watching this on the box. Nelse forced it in under the keeper with his trusty left foot. Think he couldve gone down for a penalty but kept going. Loved Nelse.

It was still Curbs and Gritty joint managers at this point.
  • edited February 2013
    I was there, our first win on live TV in decades I think! Not too much away support as the match came hard on the heels of the 1-5 at Bolton (Tom Hovi's only appearance) and the 3-4 home defeat to Derby after being 3-1 up.
  • Tom Hovi came on in that Derby came too. Marco Gabbiadini (or Gabradini as John Fuller used to call him on Clubcall commentary) ran rangs around him and Chapple.
  • Went to this one. We played really well and deserved to win.

• Me and Big Fat Pete were there, saw the banner come out and got put away quickly! BFP got a whack in the car park as we left. Massive baggie got out of his car, we thought feck we are dead. He proceeded to offer out the fellow baggie if he wanted a tear up and leave us alone! Other baggies took some CAFC kids in amongst them to look after them. All done in a flash but respect for the baggies, all except one!
  • Sponsored links:

• cafctom said:

My earliest memory of seeing a Charlton game on the telly.

Same... That or the loss at Wolves when Nelson get sent off.

• I was there. I don't recall the banner but I'm sure I heard a few of ours singing "Billy Bonds' red n white army." I'm guessing he'd not long ago left West Ham.

It was a good win in a pretty drab season. David Whyte got lots of goals but I don't recall anything much else happening. Oh and it was drier than our previous visit to The Hawthorns that is spoken about on another thread.
  • edited February 2013
    If its the game I'm thinking of there was deffo a Curbishley out banner on show for a little bit
    I remember coming out of the away end and wanting to turn right towards the baggie fans to get to where my car was parked and there were big segregation gates at the back outside behind the stand and they opened them a little bit to let us trickle though to where the baggie fans were exiting and the locals seeing a few addicks coming thru weren't too happy .....
    Swift action required to save myself from a kicking meant a quick lift of the local rag being handed out and positioning oneself with a woman and child and trying to give the impression of being a baggie family !
    Self preservation worked but it was a bit hairy , pretty sure GHE was in my motor and possibly faconwood too both had to use evasive action as well to mingle in .....no one spoke till we'd made it back to the car in one piece...
    Being a live game I will have it in on a vhs video somewhere, I taped every bit of charlton chuff on the telly for years(weirdo!)
  • I was there, our first win on live TV in decades I think! Not too much away support as the match came hard on the heels of the 1-5 at Bolton (Tom Hovi's only appearance) and the 3-4 home defeat to Derby after being 3-1 up.

I remember the Bolton game more than this one...heavy defeat on a heavy pitch,I think it chucked it down,my mate was thrown out.I must admit feeling a little sorry for Hovi when he came on as he was on a hiding to nothing.
  • Went up on the train for this and got the bus to the ground from New Street Birmingham. Deserved to win the game, was a little bit naughty getting back to the bus stop but once there no problems. Poxy bus journey to New Street though!
  • Anyone going to own up to this banner?
  • cafctom said:

My earliest memory of seeing a Charlton game on the telly.

Same
  • I had stonewall down as an oldie 40+ but the above post makes him a pup
  • edited February 2016

I had stonewall down as an oldie 40+ but the above post makes him a pup

I remember this game barely. Jim Rosenthal presented it I think.

We seemed to well during that little spell on tv

I remember wins at Brum(when it came apparent even being 4-1 up might not be enough as a Charlton fan) and West Brom and a draw at Wolves with Leaburn getting sent off early at similar times.
  • I was there, didnt miss a match in those days.

Proper old school Charlton turnout, 200 in a 7000 seater stand
  • Sponsored links:

• Anyone going to own up to this banner?

May be wrong but my recollection is that it was the little group which included Mark Kleinman - the City Editor on Sky these days
  • I see Tony Lange came on as a goalie sub. I met him last week he now works for Southern Railway as a Revenue Protection Manager . Really nice guy . We had a half hour long chat about his career .
  • There was a lot more patients with managers back then. In todays' money both Gritt and Curbs would have been sacked for sure just by the way the money is today.
  • I had stonewall down as an oldie 40+ but the above post makes him a pup

He just looks 40+
  • edited February 2016
    Low blow.
  • As usual the Programme can be seen here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/15707441881

The teamsheet can also be seen here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/7408306048

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/

Daily programme updates on twitter - follow @addicksjrp
  • Low blow.

sending hugs xxx
  • There was a lot more patients with managers back then. In todays' money both Gritt and Curbs would have been sacked for sure just by the way the money is today.

Two managers and a job lot of patients. I bet Gritt was glad to leave and free up some much needed office space.