Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thoughts ahead of the Chesterfield game

According to PA there is no clause stopping Carson from playing tonight so I for one am hoping that he plays - he's a class above the other two and Myhre may be injured anyway.

Comments

• Options
    I think it will be a tight game tonight, but i'm actually confient we will come through ok.

The fact they have seen off West Ham and Man City means they should be treated with respect, but i think that will work in our favour. We are aware they can be a danger, and i'm hoping their confidence in knowing they can achieve a result will see them push up the field a little too much, leaving us a chance to break.

Be very interested to see what sort of side Dowie fields. I still feel Bent should be rested, not only is he important, we have to get others scoring. Its unhealthy relying on one attacking player so much.

Unless players are carrying niggles, i would like to see the bulk of the side retained, as if we can go away from home and get a win, and lets face it, we haven't done it in 12 months, it will give confiednce going into Saturday.

Not knowing much about them, be interested if any Chesterfield viewing could fill us in a bit.
  • Options
    does make me laugh that there is plenty to say about inane london songs, barmaids, fags etc, yet no one has nothing to say on tonight !

Will be the furthest we have ever got in the competition, yet unless you are going, people seem slightly uninterested ?

Has this comp dropped down in peoples perceived importance in the past few years ?
  • Options
    well i want to see a full strength team out tonight as dont want any fook ups or extra time. Im sure its you thats been saying that we are going to give someone an absolute shoeing soon and i believe tonight is the night !!! :-)

well here's hoping!
  • Options
    I cant go, as i cant get the required time off of work! So i dont wanna tork abaaarrrt it.

Cant even listen in on t'internet as my Bro is back from Uni and he hogs the net and the room that the net is in!

All in all fumin.
  • Options
    Would be more up for it if I was actually going. We have been quite lucky in respect of home draws over the last couple of seasons, finally we have been drawn away but I have no more holidays left so cannot go & am gonna sulk about it instead.
  • Options
    not jumping ahead, does anyone know when the next round is ?

I think we will win 1-0 tonight, AET.
  • Options
    i think its the week before christmas normally. so be about 19th/20th?
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    You are right about Benty, the biggest reason to rest him is that we are too reliant on him, we have got to get over that and look for goals from Hasselbaink etc.

The key against these lower league teams is not to let them score from set pieces ..... we haven't scored from a corner since January, but I if Chesterfield score I bet it's from corner(s).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Johnny Aah[/cite]
    I think we will win 1-0 tonight, AET.

I also think AET, but i think we will win on penalties.

Could be a late journey home for some !
  • Options
    LOL late journey home 34-33 on penalties!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2006
    [cite]Posted By: 04_MCS[/cite] Cant even listen in on t'internet as my Bro is back from Uni and he hogs the net and the room that the net is in!

All in all fumin.

04- I think it's on 94.9
  • Options
    I just hope we don't pick up any more injuries. A win would be nice though, obviously!
  • Options
    To lose would be very embarrassing- but injuries far worse.
  • Options
    Exactly Stanmore, exactly.

I've had my traditional bet on us winning the thing outright, but to be completely honest I'm not that bothered either way (although the dough would come in very handy!) This season is all about the league for us - and staying in the bleedin thing.
  • Options
    Cheers Stan, i will listen into this for sure.

Come on you reds
  • Options
    I can't stand listening on the radio. They make it sound like someone's clean through on goal and must score then when you see it on TV the bloke's out by the bloody corner flag surrounded by defenders! Well, you get my drift anyway. Updates on Sky 405 for me will do.
  • Options
    i also hate listening to us on the radio, i get twice as anxious than if i was there...
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Exactly Stanmore, exactly.

I've had my traditional bet on us winning the thing outright, but to be completely honest I'm not that bothered either way (although the dough would come in very handy!) This season is all about the league for us - and staying in the bleedin thing.

I can't agree with writing off the League Cup - it would be fantastic to win it, so it should be taken seriously. Dowie seems to have the right approach, rest a handful with minor knocks but play what is in essence a first team.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]i also hate listening to us on the radio, i get twice as anxious than if i was there...

Radio for the last 20 minutes.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]i also hate listening to us on the radio, i get twice as anxious than if i was there...

Radio for the last 20 minutes.

That certainly makes sense SS, might try that myself! Whats the KO time tonight??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Has to be the whole 90 for me- just have to know!

With Sky sports news on as well-

Sad -aren't I!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]does make me laugh that there is plenty to say about inane london songs, barmaids, fags etc, yet no one has nothing to say on tonight !

Will be the furthest we have ever got in the competition, yet unless you are going, people seem slightly uninterested ?

Has this comp dropped down in peoples perceived importance in the past few years ?

I think a combination of anxiety about our league position and future status combined with years of being let down in this competition has affected interest and excitement in it.

Curbs always put the emphasis on the league first and foremost and I think many of us now adopt the same attitude.

I know I do.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: 04_MCS[/cite][That certainly makes sense SS, might try that myself! Whats the KO time tonight??

About half way down[/url

Just testing my new trick- no taking the p!
  • Options
    On the other hand a quarter-final away to the Arse at the Emirates the week before Christmas would be one hell of a night out.
    They'd have to give us 5-6,000 minimum.
    C'mon Dowie - put the best side out and let's get in the last eight
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]On the other hand a quarter-final away to the Arse at the Emirates the week before Christmas would be one hell of a night out.
    They'd have to give us 5-6,000 minimum.
    C'mon Dowie - put the best side out and let's get in the last eight

Geezer, they give out that allocation to away teams in prem fixtures, i reckon it would have to be more if in the cup! I make you right, that'd be a right ol knees up!
  • Options
    COME ON YOU SPIREITES!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortain[/cite]COME ON YOU SPIREITES!!!

You dont mean that closet charlton fan ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: 04_MCS[/cite]
    You dont mean that closet charlton fan ;-)

LOL, we are in a relegation fight now so if you win its another thing to keep yu occupied other than the league so i'm in two minds who i fancy tonight. But you've got to want the underdog to win as a neutral haven't you?!?
  • Options
    I mak you right mate, i mainly want the underdogs to do ok, just not tonight! I fancy a cup run, they are ace!
  • Options
    Can't beat a good cup run mate i agree.
    You'll love it if you go all the way and get to cardiff mate (i presume the carling cup final will be held there this year?), it's a cracking city for a cup final.