Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Plymouth ground

edited February 2008 in General Charlton
is it near the city centre? i've never been and i cant work out the location on the site - being a bit thick.

Comments

• Options
    from memory about 15 min walk i think mind you i woz blotto that day with Camiss,Lee Grain,Cousins,Dave Mehmet,Fat Swannie,Bod and little dean.
  • Options
    I don't think it's near the city centre. It looks like it's near the motorway

PAFC.CO.UK
  • Options
    no on the outskirts - a long ole walk
  • Options
    i was pissed
  • Options
    Long ole walk up hill if I remember rightly.
  • Options
    Definitely a cab job
  • Options
    okay ta. Will just cab it from the hotel i've already booked! keen.
  • Options
    Drove all the way first time got blotto in some local boozer fell asleep on the terraces we lost 1 v 0

went once by coach in FA Cup we won 2 v 1 i think , both more than a life time ago.
  • Options
    I remember going down there with my dad on Lewis's Coaches from Woolwich in the early 70's.The Plymouth end was taken by Charlton lads dressed in 'Clockwork Orange' garb.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]is it near the city centre? i've never been and i cant work out the location on the site - being a bit thick.

Ask Tavern hes been for weekender down there. Mind you it was a few years ago. Good laugh though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He did behave himself impeccably (sp?).
  • Options
    i doubt that very much!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_McMoist[/cite]I remember going down there with my dad on Lewis's Coaches from Woolwich in the early 70's.The Plymouth end was taken by Charlton lads dressed in 'Clockwork Orange' garb.

Remember it well - See comment from ivypil in link.

clockwork charlton

Remember it well - See comment from ivypil in link.
  • Options
    "i doubt that very much!"

I can vouch for him B. He behaved himself (to a point)
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Hi folks, I live over the big river in the Republic of Cornwall and work in Oggy land - loads of my mates are Greenies.

Walking from the railway station then turn right, pass under the bridge, over the roundabout, up the hill past the 'Penny Come Quick' pub (yep! really called that - and she does!) for about a mile before turning right at the busy road junction opposite the 'Brittannia' pub where the Argyle drink (you might get served if you're not too antagonistic).

It's then 200 yards or so to the ground.
    Or a bit before the big road junction, cut through the park to the turnstiles.

About 20 minutes.

By Car: From the main A38 (nearest thing to a motorway in these parts LOL) follow the brown sign that says 'Home Park' and turn off. It's then a couple of miles along a busyish road that directly passes the ground on your left.

Big carpark in between the road & ground, or limited street parking on the other side of that main road.

Everything's painted green, but apart from the crap colour it's quite a neat ground - holds about 19000 and they are about to replace the main stand soon.

Devonport End is where their crew are. We'll be shunted along to the away end behind the other goal. Decent enough view from behind the goal.

And if you're hungry, they'll flog you an oggy.
  • Options
    The supporters club did a plane charter from city airport to Plymouth in the early 90's, we were the 14838 squadron.
  • Options
    Just to let you know, there's only a couple of pubs anywhere en route on the way to the ground.

As I said in my directions above, the Brittannia (nearest pub to the ground) is the Argyle pub, but you might get served if you don't cause trouble.

The accepted away pub, is the Penny Come Quick, by the roundabout 5 minutes walk from the station.
    Allow 15 minutes walk up the hill and/or through the park before you even get to the turnstiles.

See you there!
  • Options
    thanks for the info oggy.

deliberating where to stay. taverns birthday - trying to find somewhere nice.

Is plympton a bit too far out?

anyway ill get told not to waste my money and a travelodge will do.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Curb_it ........... you don't want to stay in Plympton, it's just a sprawling suburban dormitory. All very nice if semi's & bungalows are your thing, and ideal only for a quiet early night.

Plymouth is by the sea and famous for the Hoe (where Sir Francis Drake played with his bowls, Spanish Armada thingy).

Plenty of hotels/BB around there. Handy for the City Centre shops, 10 mins walk from the railway station, the Barbican (old fishing harbour quarter full of pubs & restaurants) or Union Street (clubs, lap dancing venues, and late night boozing).

There's a Travelodge nearby in the city centre for £49 a night per room.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Curb_it ........... you don't want to stay in Plympton, it's just a sprawling suburban dormitory. All very nice if semi's & bungalows are your thing, and ideal only for a quiet early night.

Plymouth is by the sea and famous for the Hoe (where Sir Francis Drake played with his bowls, Spanish Armada thingy).

Plenty of hotels/BB around there. Handy for the City Centre shops, 10 mins walk from the railway station, the Barbican (old fishing harbour quarter full of pubs & restaurants) or Union Street (clubs, lap dancing venues, and late night boozing).
    Looks like Union Street for you & Tavern then Curb_It!! LOL.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]The accepted away pub, is the Penny Come Quick, by the roundabout 5 minutes walk from the station.
    Allow 15 minutes walk up the hill and/or through the park before you even get to the turnstiles.

quote]

There's talk of Plymouth fans taking the pub over has a home pub.;-)
  • Options
    Yes union street does sound appealing!

Okay thanks oggy, i only suggested it as i saw a lovely place to stay out there.
  • Options
    I'll keep an ear to the ground for you all ...... I work with loads of active match-going Greenies.
    We better not fricken lose again, I'll never live it down TWICE..... ;o)

Let you know more nearer the time, but the Penny Come Quick is still the recognised away pu
  • Options
    "Plymouth is by the sea and famous for the Hoe"

I think I may have met her last time we played down there!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Yes union street does sound appealing!

Okay thanks oggy, i only suggested it as i saw a lovely place to stay out there.

You're welcome, Curbsy.

Don't know why you don't all make a Friday night of it.

It's a long old way - come down the night before and make a proper session of it.
    Could turn into one of those legendary trips that get talked about for ages. :o)