Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Get things in the right order

edited February 2008 in General Charlton
Last Wednesday I was reading the comments onh this board and had I not been at the game to see what was being described to me I would of thought we were the team to beat all teams and were a matter of a few points of skidding into the top 2.

As it is we did indeed put in a manly performance against the Stokies and it was decided we'd turned the corner and were a match for any of these physical sides. As it turned out we (by the sounds of it) decided not to show for the scunny game. Does that mean we're not going up anymore? I don't know, but and this be a big but is it really the end of the world it's being made out to be?

So we might lose a couple more players (I'll still be there), so we might not get to go watch us get beat at Old Trafford (I'll still be here), so we may miss out on watching the flavour of the month premiershit footballer of the decade make a tit out of one of our defenders (so what) we will defo miss out on all that brilliantly patronising gear we get from being on match of the day, but that's life and I'm sure one day I'll come to terms with that.

We may also see (miserable funkers look away) a team come together of young, hungry (yet perhaps inexperianced) players come together and have a real hard learning curve of something like the play-offs to slap them in the chops at the end of a tough season playing in front of expectant crowds. I vaguely remember the last time a side looking like the one we have now coming good and it seems slightly familiar.

If anyone cares to take the time to look back on the side we had inbetween 1995 and 1998 and claim they as a whole were beter than what we have now I would lbe interested to hear it.

Another year in this division at the moment is the worst we are looking at. SO F*CKING WHAT???

If the hard core fans on here don't feel the same then I feel for your loss of premierhit football to admire.

I wish we luck it up so we can be a Derby next year.

Comments

• Options
    Great post Carter agree totally apart from us being more of a Sunderland next year and palace being the derby with the least points in premiershit history and sir chris powell scoring in the last minute at shithurst.

well you can dream I suppose.
  • Options
    sort of agree with you -although I think you undermine everything with your last comment.

I certainly don't miss premiership football with its 4pm sunday kickoffs and i certainly don't want to do a Derby and have 9 points by early Feb and be so out of it that all people are asking is who the other 2 relegated teams are gping to be.

Don't mind the championship and over the past 30-odd years of supporting CAFC have spent the majority of them watching us in this league (or its counterparts div 1 or div 2 depending on what the top division is called).

Would like us to go up every now and then - make an appearance on MOTD for more than 30 secs and upset a few of the big boys by beating them in their back yard.

but most of all i would like to support a team that makes me proud. Don't care if we win,lose or draw but would like to see us put up a fight, play some good attractive football - about the only games that has happened this year has been Palace away, Saints away, Ipswich home (first half) and laterly blackpool and Stoke (both home). For most of the rest it has been patchy at best and some has been quite depressing - losing at home to QPR, Burnley and Colchester and watching paint dry at Norwich,leicester and scunny.

i don't expect to be told every season that we have signed the latest wonderkid but nor should I have to put up with selling our best players at 2 mins to midnight on Jan 31st without replacing them. Since the sale of Parker 4 years ago we have gone backwards and will continue to do so until we have a couple of decent strikers who can score more than 20 goals a season and a couple of attacking midfielders who know how to a) cross a ball that beats the first defender,b)shoot when are in sight of the goal and c) can pick a pass to their felow man standing more than 20 yards away.

So, mainly agreeing with Carter I do not expect us to go up this season and more importantly don't think its the right time to either. A Charlton team of 10-15 years ago would have had the likes of Rufus,Robbo, Kins, Brownie - all who gave 110% for the cause and fought for the club. Nowdays its a miracle if a player is here more than his contracted 3 seasons. We need to rebuild a solid squad of palyers - make them a team to be proud of , so one day we can experinece another wembley 98.
  • Options
    Good post Carter but why only mention the teams we had between 95 and 98!

If you would have asked does anybody feel that the 2000 Championship winning side that we had was any better than what we have now I would have to say yes and by a very long way.
  • Options
    So would I reams,Cart's most of the people moaning went up to scunny on Saturday when it was absolutely freezing and spent good money goin up there.My moan is a team second from bottom seemed to me to want it more,some might say they had only 1 shot,however with the 11 v 11 if we had matched them for desire we would have gone on to win comfortably.So after tuesday night and the performance put in I think I have a right to moan and know the answers why we were such a pile of dross on saturday,no more no less no spin just expect 100% if that isn't good enough fine,but anything less than 100% is not acceptable and should not be acceptable.
  • Options
    I only mentioned 95-98 as it is the most recent group of players to play for a few seasons for us on the bounce in this league.

I was also being sarcastic re the Derby comment!!

Fair play Steve I didn't go to Scunny and I would feel the same as you, all I've ever asked for or expected from a Charlton XI is that they give it their all and I'm really disappointed if they didn't.
  • Options
    They gave their all, they were just average.
  • Options
    Not that the relegated teams will have 30 million quid in there back pocket.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]They gave their all, they were just average.

Oh crap! Ok than scrub my last few posts and damn my optimism!!

We're all going to hell in a handcart!!

Is anyone else ridiculously excited about the Palace game today?
  • Options
    I cant wait till friday! even though Im restricted to listening to it on the radio whilst at a work recruitment event, damn friday evening kick offs.

Nice post Carter its a level head on those young shoulders. It all rings true mate, ive always erred on the side of blatant optomism which gets me by in life but leads to many an argument with my glass half emty missus.
  • Options
    Good post Carter
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is all about fans expectations. Scunny did to us what we used to do teams in the 1990s. But because we have been in the Prem, financially/ground wise are now a bigger club, have a higher profile we are 'expected' to beat Scunny and others. I include myself in this. I expected Scunny to be a good day out and we would get 3 points.

10-15 years ago we would have been delighted to be 5 points off a promotion place with games to go.
  • Options
    Nice post but I wish I didnt have to read about the 'old days' after every defeat.

The way I see it, we are a decent striker (20-25 a season) away from being in with a good chance of promotion.

Unfortunately this seems to be Mr Pardews achilles heel - £7m on three strikers and I dont think they will get that between them.

If we are talking about the old days, Mendonca or Hunt would have loved that chance Iwelumo had in the second half.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Reamsofverse[/cite]Good post Carter but why only mention the teams we had between 95 and 98!

If you would have asked does anybody feel that the 2000 Championship winning side that we had was any better than what we have now I would have to say yes and by a very long way.

The Championship winning team did not come together overnight, it resulted from the sale of Bowyer two / three years previously and crafting and building by Curbs / Reed and Day. Of course, you could also compare this team with the exciting teams between 69 and 84, thankfully message boards then did not exist.