Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

attention please

edited February 2008 in General Charlton
can you all look under your beds,behind the back of your sofa's for our creative midfielder.......looks like he/they might have gone missing!

Not only have we sold our one and only creative player, we didn't think it prudent enough to replace him with like for like. Both Ambrose & ZZ will run with the ball but neither can really make that pass that will unlock a defence. Holland has been magnificent since he entered the fray back in late November, but he can't do it either. Semoedo & Racon are both defensive too. Sam & Thomas flattter to decieve and their crossing is abysmal. New boy Cook earned rave reviews a season or two ago but has spent the last 6 months injured(spot a familiiar pattern?) and his goalscoring record of 10 in 140 says it all - reidy had scored 8 already this season.

As for those who think it was good business selling him because he has either a) injured too much or b) we made a profit on him should think about this. Does that make Kish a better player becuase he was always fit or if its all about profit then lets sell Moo2 , Semedo and Weaver for a few bob as we got them for nothing, pocket the change and watch us simk like a stone.

Good job i'm not going to Scunny tomorrow as i might have shouted myself horse slagging off Pardew and the board. Never mind, the club will make more money selling 10,000 £200 season tickets next seson for more chumpionship footie and hope we get promoted next year.......'cuase we aint going to do it now.

Comments

• Options
    good point golf,i cant see us goin up without Reid but i hope im wrong.
  • Options
    ah Golife, i've waited two days for this post, and you go and do it just as i'm going to bed !!!

Some people you can read like a book !!

I'll give em a big cheer for you tomorrow Golfie mate
  • Options
    I just keep seeing a tunnel at the end of all these lights.

Woe is me.
  • Options
    Come On. Golfie, are you saying that we´ve been lacking creativity in the past eight matches?

For me, Pards has done great business. Selling Reidy is good for us, because we balance the books on Gray, make 2.5m (more or less) and can afford two more Prem players on wages for the rest of the season. Reidy wanted to go, so let him. There´s now less financial pressure on the club, and our midfield still looks one of the best in the league. What is lacking in Ambrose, Zhi, Holland and Sam? For me, it is a perfect combination for the CCC. Reidy was a great individual player, but never a good captain. Matty´s taken over very well since he was injured and ZZ joint top scorer. Ambrose and Sam contribute with assists and goals. On the bench we´ve got JT and Semendo. Two players who would make most Championship sides.

Stop complaining. With this squad, we should definitely make the top four. Let´s say we don´t get promoted, at least we have financial stability from selling off Reidy and why not cash in on JT as well (2.5mill plus i would bite their hands off).

Come on the Addicks. Good on you folks who going up to Scunny. I´m gutted I canne make it, but give the lads a cheer. We´ve got a top quality team. Going up.
  • Options
    Great post Rufus, though Golfie's unlikely to absorb a word of it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]I just keep seeing a tunnel at the end of all these lights.

Woe is me.

And you're related to him. Christmas dinner must be a bundle of laughs round your mum's house.
  • Options
    GOLFIE
    why didn't you go to australia with ya brother and spare us your bollox.
  • Options
    It might be made in his normal slightly overstated style, but in my eyes Mr Golf does have a point.

We have still got to play most of the top sides at home, and many of them may well settle for a draw.
    It's in those games that the ability to pick a pass to unlock a defence, or curl in a 25-yard free kick, that could be the difference, and that is what Reid could do.

Cook might be prove a very good addition to the squad, but he seems to have played as many games as Cory Gibbs this season.

There's a reason why Sunderland were willing to pay that much for Reid, and that is he could be worth crucial points in the next few months.
    On balance I think the club have got a decent deal out of the transfer, but I don't think selling our best player is going to make it any easier to get promotion this season.
  • Options
    For me it all depends on exactly how good Cook is. Being honest, I don't know a lot about him, but judging by comments from QPR fans, it seems he could be a very good signing.

If it doesn't work out with Cook for whatever reason, then selling Reid can only have a negative effect on our promotion chances.
  • Options
    common guys ,the deal is done ,
    lets all move forwards and support our great team,
    HAVE FAITH ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Cook thing is a bit puzzling, as Fulham aren't exactly sitting comfortably in the league and in a position to be looking to develop their players for the future.

Hodgson can't rate him, as otherwise he'd surely want to throw a £2.5m winger into their squad to help in their relegation battle.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AllLeftFoot[/cite]The Cook thing is a bit puzzling, as Fulham aren't exactly sitting comfortably in the league and in a position to be looking to develop their players for the future.

Hodgson can't rate him, as otherwise he'd surely want to throw a £2.5m winger into their squad to help in their relegation battle.

maybe and hopefully, he is one of those players who is not good enough for the Prem. but too good for the Chumpionship
  • Options
    Of course we will miss Reidy. Quality player, as we all know.

I'll never forget the last minute winner he created at Bristol City ....... retrieved a suicide pass from Fortune in the centre circle, turned his marker and set off down the left channel; 2 defenders came across to kill him, but he outstripped (yes!) them both and floated over a peach of a cross that even Iwelumo steaming in at the far post just could not miss.

There was his value: Good vision, good touch and the ability to create something out of nothing.
    And that night at Ashton Gate he created 3 points - where most players had already settled for just a point.

But he's gone and move on we must. Nothing wrong, however, with our current midfield and creativity.

Since beating Blackpool 4-1, in the last few games we've played 3 of the top 4 sides and created
    hatfuls of chances - all without Andy Reid. Our critical weakness has been not converting these chances into goals.

The midfield creativity issue may very well arise when injuries/suspensions kick in.
    That's when we'll find out if selling Reid was a masterstroke or we've shot ourselves in the foot.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AllLeftFoot[/cite]It might be made in his normal slightly overstated style, but in my eyes Mr Golf does have a point.

We have still got to play most of the top sides at home, and many of them may well settle for a draw.
    It's in those games that the ability to pick a pass to unlock a defence, or curl in a 25-yard free kick, that could be the difference, and that is what Reid could do.

Cook might be prove a very good addition to the squad, but he seems to have played as many games as Cory Gibbs this season.

There's a reason why Sunderland were willing to pay that much for Reid, and that is he could be worth crucial points in the next few months.
    On balance I think the club have got a decent deal out of the transfer, but I don't think selling our best player is going to make it any easier to get promotion this season.

I think Golfie does have a point. 75% per cent of the time I agree with the fundamental point of his arguments and have defended him on here. I'm a little bit concerned by the sale of Reid. He had a unique ability in our squad.
    Nevertheless Golfie probably moaned when we bought him (I can't remember but he moans about nearly everything so probably).
    I re-iterate what I've said before. Have faith in the manager. He knows more than we do. I wouldn't go to Pards for personal financial advice and I wouldn't go to Golfie for advice on what players to buy or sell.
    Listen to your own arguments Golfie.
  • Options
    its like a lot of things in life...you hoard them because we think it might be useful one day, or worth something...but, in reality, you dont actually need it and you're getting along fine without it, you probably wont use it more than once or twce or even ever again...and every now and then, a bit of reality sets in and you bite the bullet, and if you're lucky and its worth something you sell it but more likely than not you've held on to it for so long its actually worthless and you just chuck it away...we had a result with reidy, he was still worth something...lucky us and good luck to him....
  • Options
    You wise old sage, ltgtr.........

I'm going to sort out my spare room today and see if there's anything I can flog on Ebay.
    You never know, I might even find a spare Championship footballer ........ ;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]You wise old sage, ltgtr.........

I'm going to sort out my spare room today and see if there's anything I can flog on Ebay.
    You never know, I might even find a spare Championship footballer ........ ;o)

lol. Can you lend me a few grand for a car if so?
  • Options
    We've done this argument to death over the last few days, at least selling Reid at a profit is good commercial business, but to get the best out of him he needs to be playing with three strong midfielders around him, which we don't really have. As much as he tries he doesn't have the engine for a 90 minutes box-to-box game, so to accomodate his skills and vision in the more physical CCC we have often had to play five in midfield, which means playing one striker less, therefore fewer scoring chances and in turn, fewer goals have resulted. If we had Darren Bent who could be relied on to convert a number of chances then I'd say that tactic is a risk worth taking, but try as they might neither Iwelumo/Varney etc are in that mould, therefore we need to be playing two strikers.

The key fact now is how good will Cook be? If he's as good as the youtube videos and the opinions of the QPR fans suggest, then his crossing ability from the left will create chances, even if he doesn't score often enough himself. So, I'd suggest that this looks like a piece of joined up thinking by Pards - we have in Gray and Iwelumo players who should be good on crosses/corners and can hold the ball up or flick on for Varney/McLeod/a midfielder to run onto - which wasn't necessarily happening before when we were playing one up front. Until now that we've been playing to our strengths, at least not consistently. Other teams have sussed out that with Reid and a five man midfield we are a little one dimensional - lumping the ball forward to Iwelumo and then hoping something will happen wasn't working, or at least it wasn't happening often enough to be a long-term successful tactic.

I didn't want Reid to go - I don't think anyone did, but given our financial constraints this looks on paper to the wisest solution (ie effectively swapping Reid for Gray, Cook and Halford), whether it'll be a wise footballing solution we'll soon find out.
  • Options
    He's got a good YouTube video? Now it all begins to make sense...!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AllLeftFoot[/cite]He's got a good YouTube video? Now it all begins to make sense...!

Yep, check it out...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aA6ssZiWD6A&feature=related

Two footed, a good crosser of the ball, chips in with a few goals, not afraid to run at defenders...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Name: Golfaddick
    Sex: Not for a while
    Favourite TV programme: One Foot In the Grave
    Favourite clour: Grey
    Favourite Song: Every Day Is Like A Sunday
    Favourite Film: Misery
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]The key fact now is how good will Cook be?

I think it is also how good is gray .. we need someone who can stick the ball in the back of the net, something no one has been doing consistently, despite chances being made.

Nice line on Soccer AM about varney doing a cheeky step over for the Sam goal
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Name: Golfaddick
    Sex: Not for a while
    Favourite TV programme: One Foot In the Grave
    Favourite clour: Grey
    Favourite Song: Every Day Is Like A Sunday
    Favourite Film: Misery

LOL! Made me smile, Offy.

Cripes! What d'you think of the other characters on here ........... ? ;o)
  • Options
    yeah go on off it lets have more of the same for other lifers!
  • Options
    Name: MCS
    Occupation: X-treme sports adrenalin junkie (but currently working in a printers)
    Favourite Actor: Keannu Reaves
    Favourite Film: Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
    Favourite TV programme: South Park/Bevis & Butthead
    Favourite passtime: recreational drug use
    Philosophy: "To have a good time, all of the time" (C) Spinal Tap
  • Options
    Name: nolly
    Favourite Film: The Firm (no, not that crappy Tom Cruise film - the "real" Firm)
    Favourite actor: Ray Winstone
    Favourite band: The Clash
    Favourite TV programme: Babecast or Babestation - can't decide
    Motto: "NO RUNNERS"
  • Options
    Name: LookOut
    Age: Hang on a sec, I have some software here that will give you the answer to the nearest nano-second.
    Favourite film: Weird Science
    Favourite TV programme: Was Tomorrow's World - now it's Robot Wars
    Favourite band: Kraftwerk
    First car: C5
    All time hero: Sir Clive Sinclair
    Least likely to say: "It's not working? Just turn it off and back on again"
  • Options
    Name: AFKA Bartram
    Height: 4ft 11in
    Favourite Comedian: Ronnie Corbett
    Favourite film star: Dudley Moore
    Favourite film: Honey I shrunk the kids
    Favourite band: The Minipops
    Ambition: To become a test pilot, for Airfix
    Most likely to say: "I am standing up"
  • Options
    whether reid is the person or not as we walked out the ground Saturday more tha one person remarked that we dont seem to have a player to play that defence splittin pass.
  • Options
    very good Offy !