Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official Site

On the scrolling banner thing it says that Reid is in Sunderland discussing terms, and that Greg Halford could come to SE7..

I know we've been talking about that all morning, but it now seems official!

Comments

• Options
    jesus how many more defenders do we need then ?

Basseey
    Powell
    Thatcher
    Youga
    Gibbs
    Sodji
    Moto2
    Fourtune
    Magic
    Macarthy
    Smeado
  • Options
    Halford is Mr Utility - he can play anywhere in defence or midfield.
    Has a lethal throw in
    Very powerful

I actually think he is a Charlton type pf player
  • Options
    If Reid goes I think thats the end of Charlton's association with PL football for a long time to come. To stand any chance of staying up, should we get there, we need players of Reid's calibre to be part of the squad, and then we need to build around them with the PL cash. Getting promoted in the summer, and then looking around for virtually a whole new squad to keep us there is a very dangerous gamble IMHO.
  • Options
    Its a profit and he's too injury prone.

We play better without him

Don't get me wrong - I love the guy and was the first to praise his signature but it's too good a deal to knock back!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]If Reid goes I think thats the end of Charlton's association with PL football for a long time to come. To stand any chance of staying up, should we get there, we need players of Reid's calibre to be part of the squad, and then we need to build around them with the PL cash. Getting promoted in the summer, and then looking around for virtually a whole new squad to keep us there is a very dangerous gamble IMHO.

dont be all doom and gloom m8 be positive like me ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]If Reid goes I think thats the end of Charlton's association with PL football for a long time to come. To stand any chance of staying up, should we get there, we need players of Reid's calibre to be part of the squad, and then we need to build around them with the PL cash. Getting promoted in the summer, and then looking around for virtually a whole new squad to keep us there is a very dangerous gamble IMHO.

dont be all doom and gloom m8 be positive like me ;-)

Loving the use of the smilies today Steve :-)
  • Options
    just cant stop myself now i've started m8
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    W***er

What happened to the agreement he had with Pards?

Pards nut him on the way out

Hope they are relegated
  • Options
    If Reid goes I think thats the end of Charlton's association with PL football for a long time to come. To stand any chance of staying up, should we get there, we need players of Reid's calibre to be part of the squad, and then we need to build around them with the PL cash. Getting promoted in the summer, and then looking around for virtually a whole new squad to keep us there is a very dangerous gamble IMHO.

Keeping Reid, not getting promoted & going bust is ever worse, imo.
  • Options
    Really like Reid's intelligent play and ability on the ball, but what is to say that his injuries would see him only play a few more games this season and a few next. That has been the unfortunate pattern for him in recent seasons. As long as Pards can re-invest a large share of the money we get for him, I'd take it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Halford would be a good signing, still think we would need a central midfielder, Holland or ZZ get a knock, who comes in ? ZZ is going off for a couple of games is he not??
  • Options
    local hostelries profits will be down.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]Halford would be a good signing, still think we would need a central midfielder, Holland or ZZ get a knock, who comes in ? ZZ is going off for a couple of games is he not??

Especially if we sell JT today as well.

What's the midfield going to look like against Palace if we sell Reid & JT and ZZ doesn't make it back in time.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Pavo[/cite]Really like Reid's intelligent play and ability on the ball, but what is to say that his injuries would see him only play a few more games this season and a few next. That has been the unfortunate pattern for him in recent seasons. As long as Pards can re-invest a large share of the money we get for him, I'd take it.[/quote]

Unfortunately, Pards has only got 13 hours in which to make this investment in time for a promotion push...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]Halford would be a good signing, still think we would need a central midfielder, Holland or ZZ get a knock, who comes in ? ZZ is going off for a couple of games is he not??
    Semedo.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Deserts us in our push for promotion and i bet we all give him a nice welocome back.

Like f**k i will
  • Options
    If we offload both Reid and Thomas then I feel certain we will see another winger come in. Wagstaff et al are probably a bit too young and that would leave us short on the flanks.
  • Options
    Basey!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Basey!

Or Thatcher back and Youga on wing?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]W***er

Hope they are relegated

Agreed, its not the fact he wants to play for a bigger team for more money i've got a problem with, but we're led to believe he made a promise to Pards that he'd stay for the season and he's upped at the first sign of interest. Unless this is Pards' call, i'm very disappointed in Reid. If there was no agreement then fair enough, but if you make one, you should stick to it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]If Reid goes I think thats the end of Charlton's association with PL football for a long time to come. To stand any chance of staying up, should we get there, we need players of Reid's calibre to be part of the squad, and then we need to build around them with the PL cash. Getting promoted in the summer, and then looking around for virtually a whole new squad to keep us there is a very dangerous gamble IMHO.[/quote]
    How can you say that when he singularly failed to make any difference last season? Ah, injuries you might say. But he is clearly injury-prone and so it makes good sense for the benefit of the Club to accept a fully-valued offer for him.
    Losing Reid will not only NOT prevent us from challenging for promotion, it will rid the club of a major distraction of a player, whose absence by injury has not adversely affected our performances one jot but whose return would once again have de-stabilised the shape of the team.
    Looking at the comments on this board I can honestly say that he must be the most over-rated player in the 35 years that I've been following CAFC.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]W***er

Hope they are relegated

Agreed, its not the fact he wants to play for a bigger team for more money i've got a problem with, but we're led to believe he made a promise to Pards that he'd stay for the season and he's upped at the first sign of interest. Unless this is Pards' call, i'm very disappointed in Reid. If there was no agreement then fair enough, but if you make one, you should stick to it.

Right so lets blame Reid now shall we? An injury prone footballer who has a very short career ahead of him where he can earn decent money. Would you stay for more money/kudos elsewhere?

Its obvious whats happened here. Pards got a "verbal assurance from him" so Reid initially didn't actively pursue a way out. Pards wants him to stay but knows that if a Prem club come in and matches Charlton's value of £4M then the club will almost certainly want to sell him if the player indicates he's happy to go. Pards tells Reidy whats happening, that the club won't stand in his way if he wants to go. Reid agrees and the deal is done. This is the way most of these things get done. Sure in Parkers case, he threw the toys out of the pram and refused to play. I don't see this being the case with Reid, I just think the deal is right for all parties (except some fans) and gentlemens agreements don't count for much under those circumstances.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite]
    [cite]Losing Reid will not only NOT prevent us from challenging for promotion, it will rid the club of a major distraction of a player, whose absence by injury has not adversely affected our performances one jot but whose return would once again have de-stabilised the shape of the team.

Fully agreed. I did not want to lose Reidy but have to admit I was concerned as to how the shape of the team would change once he is fit. At the moment it is working and any disruption could change that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]Deserts us in our push for promotion and i bet we all give him a nice welocome back.

Like f**k i will

Agree...and deserts us to play for a club who are odds on to go the other way. Not about money then?
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Right so lets blame Reid now shall we? An injury prone footballer who has a very short career ahead of him where he can earn decent money. Would you stay for more money/kudos elsewhere?
    Bing, we're talking about more money for 6 months at the most so yes, I do blame Reid, very much so.
  • Options
    If Halford is not good enough for a poor Sunderland side, why do we want him? We have Semedo and Racon (and Arter, Wright, Shelvey in the wings) as cover in midfield, Semedo, Sankofa, Fortune, Sodge in defence - and I don't rate him much, nor did Coppell or Keane
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]If Halford is not good enough for a poor Sunderland side, why do we want him? We have Semedo and Racon (and Arter, Wright, Shelvey in the wings) as cover in midfield, Semedo, Sankofa, Fortune, Sodge in defence - and I don't rate him much, nor did Coppell or Keane
    We don't, it's a token gesture, kidology. He's being offered to soften the blow of losing Reid and we may as well take him on if it costs next to nothing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Right so lets blame Reid now shall we? An injury prone footballer who has a very short career ahead of him where he can earn decent money. Would you stay for more money/kudos elsewhere?
    Bing, we're talking about more money for6 months at the mostso yes, I do blame Reid, very much so.

But C_F_W, he isn't going just to suit himself, he's going because it suits the club. Its a mutual consent thing. If Sunderland were offering peanuts, I have no doubt we wouldn't sell him and he would stay.
  • Options
    Right, the official site isn't working - something is being announced then.