Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

IF Reid goes I just hope that

edited January 2008 in General Charlton
if we are not bringing anyone else in that the Club tell us so that I don't have to watch SSN all night in the hope that we will sign a player.

Comments

• Options
    We won't bring anyone else in, they'll sell Reidy at midnight and then not have enough time to complete another deal - it's the same every transfer deadline day.
  • Options
    Yet we are meant to be happy about it ??
  • Options
    Not happy but can you just accept it and support the players that ARE with us for the rest of the season and that stand an excellent chance of promotion.
  • Options
    Who is "happy" about it ? I just aint willing to shoot the Board at dawn and do remember where we were and what they have done.

Parker was much worse.

Kinsella much worse(his knees had gone but we should have stuck with him)

Paul Elliot + Paul walsh to Luton for f**k all , much worse.
  • Options
    the condition of any sale like this must be, a replacement lined up and can be brought in or a significantly enhanced fee.
  • Options
    I dont want to shoot the board and i dont think i have with any of the posts the annoyance for me is calrity let people know the last day of the window is a day that i wish i never woke up for as it is always bad news

only a few weeks ago Pards stated that he had an agreement with Reidy to keep him here until the end of the season.

Talk sport stating Charlton are holding out for money and Halford.

so none of us know what is happening really i dont have anything other than respect and admiration for our board and i have never ever blamed them for relegation as 15 years of good decisions cant be ignored i blamed the boo boys that drove a wedge between curbs and the fans more for that at the time,

and in reflection more on the poor team that was left behind by curbs but i would still buy him a beer and thank him along with Muzza,Simmons and all
  • Options
    In these situations a player must be told, your valuation by us is £5m for example, should anyone come in for you it can only be in a situation where we can find a suitable replacement. Tell any star players this and they really cannot argue.

The problem is the board seem willing to sell players at the last minute without a replacement, and as has been said here and on other threads this is not good business and will probably cost us our promotion prospects. This is what annoys me and I think many others on here.
  • Options
    it is not as though the club are planning to sell a walsh or a parker or a murphy or a bent etc. it is Reid for goodness sake!
  • Options
    I think he's similar to Murphy in relation to the rest of the team.
  • Options
    exactly Razil the timing is my bug bearer
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Murphy deal is completely different, Curbs was trying to offload Murphy in order to get Bowyer and Ambrose from Newcastle in a deal which fell through (Murphy being a good personal friend of Souness wanted this also). Curbs then sulked and told Murphy he was no longer first choice so Murphy went to Spurs when the offer came in.
  • Options
    Are we looking at this in the long term or short term, if we go up Reid is one who can cut it the premiership, if we sell and go up we only have to buy a replacement in the summer at possibly more money, what the club also have to take into account is that Reid is loved by the fans, and may leave them felling a bit flat and questioning the clubs ambitions, secondly if i was Reid i would look at my past moves, i.e Tottenham and did it really work? why move when u have the amband,earning ok money, may play premiership football next year and more importantly respected by the fans, management and club,money cant buy that
  • Options
    I imagine Reid relishes the chance to play for Keano.
  • Options
    I think the board are resigned to yo yo ing now, so having Reid long term who because of his fitness and injuries might not be the premiership player we need, might not be that important.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]if we are not bringing anyone else in that the Club tell us so that I don't have to watch SSN all night in the hope that we will sign a player.

get yourself a good night's sleep and buy a paper in the morning, large. that's what i'll be doing.
  • Options
    "Kinsella much worse(his knees had gone but we should have stuck with him)"

The Kinsella story was entirely different - he chose to go to Villa to get them back for stitching us up with JLloyd Samuel from what I heard.

I remember being at Lakeside that day and I saw him with his wife and thought to myself...why isn't he at the Valley getting ready for the match!
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    We've already got a player lined up. He's a striker from Burnley called Andy Gray. About £1.5m but don't tell anyone.

If people are unhappy we are losing Reid then that I understand that. He an obvious talent albeit injury prone and we have to play a certain way to accomadate him but it is all this "it's the last day" bit I don't get.

Maybe we should have taken the first, much lower offer for Reid on Jan 1st and then waited until today to buy Gray at the last minute when Burnley would have had us over a barrell and could have asked for even more. Would everyone be happy then cos we "got a replacement in"

Over this window it looks like one major signing in, one major signing out. Does it matter what order the transfers were made?

We took a player off Burnley that they didn't want to sell and now it looks like Sunderland are doing the same to us. It was ever thus it's just our place in the food chain that moves up and down.

I'm off now but I'm glad to read the support for Richard Murray and the rest of the "proper" directors on this thread and others. They are not gods, they have made mistakes a plenty which they are well aware of as they have, literally, had to pay for some of them but in my eyes they are still well, well in credit.

They have consistantly moved the club forward and maybe there will come a time when they will sell. Even if that is financially and in football terms good for the club I will still be sad to see them go.
  • Options
    There is always one who has to ruin a good moan aint there Henry

to much non biased sense in that post you geet
  • Options
    To everyone slagging off the board:

Have you ever considered that they maybe have no choice in the matter?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well it's something to consider, our board are amazing and it infuriates me beyond belief to see people slagging them off.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    If Reid goes i just hope.................... he breaks his leg in his first training session
  • Options
    He is going because we want the money.
  • Options
    why it is all about opinions dont let it bother you relax we are all happy today
  • Options
    I think Reid will fit in far better with Youga who will push up on the left if Andy moves inside, where CP/DM were more defensive minded. The important factor is having a creative midfielder when (if) we go up. To replace him won't be easy, and may cost more, although if Pards rates Houlihan as much as I do and gets him, I'll be happy.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Henners,

On a minor point no direspect intended or ingratitude to them, but the board have not 'taken us forward' for several years. During this time we failed to improve on our league position, or indeed consolidate it, we've also failed to expand our support or capacity indeed to put it more plainly as a business our turn over has shrunk and we are struggling to live up to expectations (correct me if I'm wrong) - However I don't think they can actually be criticised for any of that given the nature of the business we are in.

More significant is this last minute stuff - I fail to see how this can be good business and is therefore a justifiable gripe, the board knew that Reid was under offer and were holding out for a better deal, indeed they may have no choice, nevertheless with this in mind they should (and may well do) have a replacement(s) lined up.
  • Options
    One in and one out (if Reid goes) so far = replacement.

You could argue it was poor business gambling on buying Gray before the Reid deal was sealed (it might still fail) but no one seemed to complain about that.

If you sell at the end of the window you will normally get a higher price - as it seems we will for Reid - so it is good business in income terms. In playing terms that's a different arguement and something only Pardew can really speak to. My view is that it's a good swap as it strenghtens the overall squad but that just another punter's view.

Plus the loan market will open up again in Feb so there is still an option to strengthen then when the ACON is over.

Other than the last two seasons I disagree. We have moved forward and capacity HAS increased as have attendances. And this was achieved when our competitor clubs were benefiting from huge outside investment but we still lived with them. Not painting the situation now as wonderful but in some ways we were victims of our own success as it meant our cost base increased. That meant that the impact of relegation was going to be worse for us than for, example, Watford, who had just gone up and not acquired the expensive players and big stadium overheads.

Perhaps in hindsight we should not have allowed the cost base to increase ie increase the players wage bill (or fund the womens team for 7 years) but we did as that meant we could sign better players and so stay up. Of course if we had gone down but the board had said "look, we've been relegated but look at the balance sheet, we've made a profit" they would have been attacked for lack of ambition/being tight gits/not being passionate enough/not taking a gamble".

I blame Sue Townsend. Everything was OK until she stepped down. : - )
  • Options
    I thought you'd gone....

I am talking about the last two seasons, praps three, we are on the downward curve of what is a remarkable period of sucess in our history though no doubt. The fact that this covers your tenure is of course worrying..

;)

Gray isnt a replacement for Reid, from pards own lips he's a replacement for Toddy. I take your point, but we are weak in the wide areas, financially of course i can see one financing the other.

I'm just hoping that if perhaps both he (Reid) and Thomas go and we can pull in somone who can stay fit and be effective in getting some service to the front men, and therefore replace both.
  • Options
    Lets all cheer up now the main man has spoken all is good at the club

cheers SAP
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Henners,

On a minor point no direspect intended or ingratitude to them, but the board have not 'taken us forward' for several years. During this time we failed to improve on our league position, or indeed consolidate it, we've also failed to expand our support or capacity indeed to put it more plainly as a business our turn over has shrunk and we are struggling to live up to expectations (correct me if I'm wrong) - However I don't think they can actually be criticised for any of that given the nature of the business we are in.

I don't think it has been the board's lack of willing to take us forward, just that too many other clubs have sold out to multi-millionnaires/billionnaires and leap-frogged us in terms of their spending and squad building. That has extended now to the CCC with QPR and Derby being sold. The only way they could keep up with West Ham, Villa, Portsmouth etc (let alone the big clubs) is either to sell out, or go heavily into debt. The former is an option while the latter is firmly off the table, at least I hope no-one wants to see us doing a Leeds and mortgaging the club and the next X years of TV revenue to achieve short-term glory.