Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - Sat 1st Feb 1992. Brighton 1 Charlton 2

edited January 2008 in General Charlton
Saturday 1st Febuary 1992. Goldstone Ground. Att: 8,870

Brighton & Hove Albion 1 (1) (Walker 17) Charlton Athletic 2 (1) (Gorman 44, Lee 68)

Brighton: Beeney, Crumplin, Gallacher, Chapman, McCarthy, O'Reilly, Ribinson, Meade, Wade (Gall 68), Codner, Walker (Wilkins 25).

Charlton: Bolder, Pitcher, Barness, Pardew, Webster, Gatting, Lee, Bumstead, Gorman (Darlington 77), Nelson, Minto (Gritt 85).

Referee: P Foakes (Clacton-on-sea)

Comments

• I was there for that one. Great cross from Barney for Gorman's header and for the second Minto played a lovely ball in for Lee's diagonal run and he finished cooly.

I used to love the old Goldstone Ground, really old fashioned football ground the likes of which are becoming fewer and fewer.

I think Brighton's "Ribinson" is actually our soon to be Johnny Robinson!!!
  • I think this was the game when Ian Pitman (RIP) was up on the fence giving it to walker everytime he came near us. In the second half he took a throw in directly in front of us, Ian was mid tirade when walker turned round with his hands the air and said "come on mate leave it out!"

Spent the weekend down there and Eubank was fighting on the Saturday night. A couple of us went to The Zapp club (& got mashed) but the others watched the fight in a pub. One of my mates was so pissed he fell asleep in the bar and only woke up after it had kicked off and two blokes were clumping him and shouting "get out you cockney c*nt"
  • [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]I was there for that one. Great cross from Barney for Gorman's header and for the second Minto played a lovely ball in for Lee's diagonal run and he finished cooly.

I used to love the old Goldstone Ground, really old fashioned football ground the likes of which are becoming fewer and fewer.

I think Brighton's "Ribinson" is actually our soon to be Johnny Robinson!!!

Great ground - had some excellent days out down there with Charlton over the years. And we always took good numbers.
  • Was that the one where we were throwing a big pink teddy(cuddly toy) about in our end?
  • Ahhh the good old days of the hazy nineties

football was good then even though we wernt

sad thing is never again will it be that way far too much money in footie now

Groovy train by the farm i remember being played all the way there i am sure
  • remember that one,trying to keep up with a certain Mr Grain on the drinkin front,managed to for about 5 pints of Scrumpy Jack but just couldn't manage it.
  • didn't it start to get foggy in the second half?
  • Remember this vaguely, dont remember any fog though...maybe a sea haze.Would have been our last trip there I think,remember their awful Tescos kit and the away terrace having rubble and generally crumbling.Jermaine Darlington, now theres a name I'd forgotten.Think I saw every minute of his Charlton career.
  • 22 years ago this week, seems like last season!
  • I think this was my only ever game at the Goldstone - I seem to remember a nasty atmosphere between the fans before one of us started singing anti-Palace songs and the whole ground started singing together and the atmosphere lifted?

Maybe that happened every time we played them though :)

I live in Brighton now and have a friend who works in Harvey's the furniture shop which is one of the stores on the Goldstone Trading Estate built on the old ground. Apparently a couple of months ago some bloke walked in there and started taking photos of a sofa from loads of different angles. When my mate went over to see if he wanted any help he explained he had no interest in buying furniture but the sofa was on the exact spot that David Beckham scored his first ever free kick from (apparently... I've not checked if that is accurate). Some strange people out there.
  • Sponsored links:

• I was there, remember it being bloody cold. Great result tho :-)
  • I was there

Look at that crowd and we had 2k plus that day
  • I think that was the game with the teddy. I'm sure he had a Tesco bag over him. Lol
  • Loved those early 90s away days.
  • Was that the one where we were throwing a big pink teddy(cuddly toy) about in our end?

Yep. "Pink pink pink Te-ddy..."

He made a further appearance at Barnsley (1-0 Pardew pen..) and was thrown into a gated pen for some sort of electrical cupboard. Gate was open, so I liberated him and he now resides in Wales with an ex-girlfriend.
  • I'm sure we was singing if your names not down your not coming in. Charlie says, Es are good Es are good and rubbarb and custard tune. We were hardcore back in the day.
  • Wow 22 years! A few of us went to this game and stayed in some dodgy B&B. Seem to remember it was very foggy/cold. Great weekend though! This was the last game I could go to that season. Within a week I had headed off on a 3 month Raleigh International expeditition to Namibia, and unbeknown to me at the time, had met my future wife. This in turn lead me to Bermuda - she's Bermudian. If I had known, that it would be my last weekend as a single person I may not have gone to Brighton!!
  • Yep, threw my tea all over my brother when Lee scored. Bloody cold that day but great day out.

@Bermuda_Red If I had known you then, I would have had you buy a big round of drinks as it was effectively your stag.
  • Went to this with the Junior Reds....we were sat behind the goal, remember going nuts in the home end