Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Things you never knew about Scunthorpe

edited January 2008 in General Charlton
1. Scunthorpe are the reigning champions of Division Three North

2. Scunthorpe feature in a quiz question about two england Captains beginning their career with the club

3. When Glanford Park was opened in the 80s it was the first new football stadium built in England since 1945

Comments

• 4. Scunthorpe is blighted by the highest level of masturbation in the UK, averaging 3.6 tugs per resident a week (according to the 2001 census).
  • 5. It has been the only UK town to feature a swear-word in its title ("unth" - to pleasure a tortoise on Whit Sunday) since Little Shitlingville changed its name to Harlow New Town in 1968.
  • 6. in 1913 Fanny Hill was found guilty in the Assizes court of showing her genitalia in public, following a demonstration in the Public gallery of Scunthrope Town Hall in support of Emily Pankhurst's Suffrage Movement. The headline in the Scunthorpe Gazette was 'Fanny puts the cun t in scunthorpe'
  • edited January 2008
    7. The town used to be known as Shorpe until Simon Jordan went to live there. It was at this point that the local Council decided to change the name of the town to Scunthorpe in recognition of his residency.
  • edited January 2008
    8. When the Saxons invaded the marauding soldiers discovered a disproportionate number of women in the area. In the local dialect the word "hope" sounded like "horpe" so those soldiers optimistically seeking female company added the first syllable to "horpe" and that is how the place originally got it's name.
  • "4. Scunthorpe is blighted by the highest level of masturbation in the UK, averaging 3.6 tugs per resident a week (according to the 2001 census). "

3.6 a week is HIGH!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]4. Scunthorpe is blighted by the highest level of masturbation in the UK, averaging 3.6 tugs per resident a week (according to the 2001 census).

is that male masturbation only as "Tug" would imply
  • It maybe not for you, but I dont think the census included male/male activity DM.
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley_McMoist[/cite]7. The town used to be known as Shorpe until Simon Jordan went to live there. It was at this point that the local Council decided to change the name of the town to Scunthorpe in recognition of his residency.

Brilliant
  • 9. Scunthorpe got their nickname 'The Iron' after manager of the 1894/95 season, Thomas Stanley Feltching, was outed as the first known homosexual in football.

10. Scunthorpe have two team mascots, Scunny Bunny and Scunny Hunny, and neither are particularly funny wunny.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]9. Scunthorpe got their nickname 'The Iron' after manager of the 1894/95 season, Thomas Stanley Feltching,

Now I'm starting to worry about you, D. : - )
  • 10. 78% of all Charlton fans boarding the train from King Cross admitted they have not got the foggiest idea exactly where in the country Scunthorpe is.
  • to the left of hull
  • 11. 99% of Charlton fans surveyed had never heard of feltching.

I hope.
  • cromwell defeated the royalists there
  • keegan started his career there
  • 12. Scunthorpe are twinned with Fulham. On one weekend a year the Scunthorpe council travel to Fulham to do some Cottaging and they then all get a shara back up to Scunnie to do some Feltching ...
  • [cite]Posted By: Sir John Humphrey[/cite]11. 99% of Charlton fans surveyed had never heard of feltching.

I hope.

AFKA has dragged us all into his private hell.

WARNING! those that are easily shocked or of a nervous disposition should avoid looking up Feltching in Google
  • [cite]Posted By: Sir John Humphrey[/cite]11. 99% of Charlton fans surveyed had never heard of feltching.

I hope.

I have

In addition they are one of three English clubs with a swear/dirty word in their name. Along with ARSEnal and Crystal f*cking Palace
  • Maybe we should do a straw poll .
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Sir John Humphrey[/cite]11. 99% of Charlton fans surveyed had never heard of feltching.

I hope.

I have

In addition they are one of three English clubs with a swear/dirty word in their name. Along with ARSEnal and Crystal f*cking Palace

quality carts
  • [cite]Posted By: Sir John Humphrey[/cite]Maybe we should do a straw poll .

I didn't realise the significance of that until I looked up feltching

- geez is that disgusting or what?