Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Artex!!!

edited January 2008 in Not Sports Related
Been decorating my house since we moved in a couple of years ago.Now its time to do the dreaded hallway.Problem is, the wall by the stairs is covered in the stuff.
Now do i try and chisel it off(don't really want to do this) or can i get a plasterer to go over the top of it?
Is it costly to do?
Hope there are some addicks out there who are also stuck in an 80's time warp and can help!

Comments

• plaster it
  • you can use a wallpaper steamer to help if you go down the chiselling route but i would just get it plastered!

i did when i had the same problem.
  • edited January 2008
    I found this on a `help' site'. I know you can get DIY covering for artex etc that comes in a tub from most DIY stores.

If you have moved into a different house and want to remove at least some of the patterned textured coating from the walls and ceilings, there are two choices: cover or strip. Covering is the easiest choice. You can get specific products designed for doing this and all you do is to apply them on top of the existing patterned coating (with a plasterer's float) so that the surface is restored to a smooth flat surface which you can then paper or paint. Remember, though, that you will now have quite a thick coating. Stripping is the alternative. There are specific products made for stripping textured coatings, though they may not work on all types. If the chemical stripper does not work, you can try a steam wallpaper stripper to soften the coating so that you can strip it off by hand. A large hired type will work better than a DIY wallpaper stripper, but the job is messy and jolly hard work
  • it all depends on how heavy a pattern the artex has. If it has quite a rippled effect skimming it (plastering) can mean that you can still see the ripple effect through it when finished. The best thing to do is to flat artex it. If you want a number I have one of a guy who is very good and pretty reasonable.
  • Um ............. difficult call.

As much as the thought of getting a stripper in appeals, I think I would go for getting plastered!
  • You have to be careful with old artex, as it contains asbestos.
  • Pebble dash the inside. That's cutting edge design.
  • [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]You have to be careful with old artex, as it contains asbestos.

That's alright guiness.I was going to get the other half to do the scraping anyway.

[cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]Pebble dash the inside. That's cutting edge design.

Good call ! I was thinking of tarmacking the stairs.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]You have to be careful with old artex, as it contains asbestos.[/quote]

That's alright guiness.I was going to get the other half to do the scraping anyway.

That's ok then, you won't need to get her any oven gloves for St.Val's day.
  • Try scoring it and soaking it.....Ive done it in the past when the Artex has been too thick to skim.....steaming is effective, but you have a major chance of blowing the plaster underneath.