Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Murray - Comment to South London Press

edited January 2008 in General Charlton
Story

Is this code for "Premiership clubs come and sign some of our players", or just him being honest about what may happen? Is he trying to get the message out to the fans that if we do sell, for example, Thomas that it will all be the wicked Premier Leagues fault and nothing to do with us wanting to cash in?

I'm not having a pop at him because the realities are, in our financial position, that we would not be able to turn down decent offers for some of our players, I just wonder whether this is the start of managing fans expectations?

Comments

• Options
    I think Murray is being honest. If you read the link below about Burnley director having a pop at Andy Gray and the way players use the system in order to get a move and or money then I think thats what he means might happen if a Prem club come calling for one of our desirable assets. I suppose Thomas is the most likely candidate at the moment. Mind you. What would you do if a new job was on offer at rate of pay ? I don`t blame players for getting what they can. We had Chelsea turn Parkers head and I suspect we have done it in order to sign a few as well.... Magic and Gray ?
  • Options
    I find it hard to see why anyone would want to waste money on Thomas - he is a bit-part player for us - who has never really done/achieved anything of note, with a questionable attitude. Realistically who is going to spend money on him & why? I could possibly see a loan deal going through - but if he has peeed off fans of his own team to such an extent, surely this isn't unnoticed via the grapevine by prospective employers.

I see this more as Murray issuing a come & get him plea to Boro & Derby.
  • Options
    There was a wicked premiership club called Charlton that went and poached a said Darren Bent from Ipswich and then sold him on for a tidy sum making money for both clubs.

Sadly we spent the money none too wisely.

We can hardly complain.
  • Options
    It's all just the law of the jungle ........
  • Options
    Since Derby have had their return to the CCC nailed on from day 1 of the season, they're no more a "big" club than we are.
  • Options
    Except they will be £30 million pounds richer........
  • Options
    Stating the bleeding obvious isn't he?
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Except they will be £30 million pounds richer........
    One season in the PL. In a few months they'll be no different to Watford. Are they a "Big" club?
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Except they will be £30 million pounds richer........
    One season in the PL. In a few months they'll be no different to Watford. Are they a "Big" club?

That wasn't really my point. I'm just saying Derby getting promoted with a weak side will earn them £30 million of TV money just for finishing bottom of the Prem.

Plus their £11million parachute payment.

If they're not too reckless with their spending now, they will begin next season in the Championship considerably richer than when they were promoted.

Look how Watford have transformed financially their nigh-on bankrupt club of 3 years ago.
  • Options
    Agreed Oggy but, even so, the implication in the SLP article that we/JT now couldn't resist Derby if they were interested in him is baloney.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ....assuming that we wanted to resist them, that is.
  • Options
    Usual media b*llox, I should think, PM.

The major pull for John Thomas would be playing in the shop window of the Prem to finally prove what he can actually do - and get himself yet another move & fat contract for next season.

So I reckon it's not so much we couldn't resist Derby, more like we couldn't stop John Thomas if he was desperate to move.
  • Options
    How much would Hoolihan from Blackpool cost?
  • Options
    I seem to remember they'd turned down £2m+ already but although a left-footer, he's more central. We could try Wagstaff if JT goes or even Izzy can't be worse at crossing than Jerome.
  • Options
    Probably not a lot if we offer to double his wages.....cynical to the end
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite] We could try Wagstaff if JT goes or even Izzy can't be worse at crossing than Jerome.

Izzy might be a fair bet.

He works hard, pacy, can invariably beat his man and gets in deep penetrating positions - and knows how to win a penalty. And defenders hate him running at them.

And not having the responsibility to score, the pressure's off.

Can he cross - yeah, I think so. Put in a peach of a cross for Dean Sinclair to score in the Luton cup tie.