Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Burnley director Flood scathing on Gray

edited January 2008 in General Charlton
From the Lancashire Telegraph:

"I think my view is that the popular players get tempted by agents and other clubs and have more power than the board," he explained.

"If they want to go, it's almost like they are going on strike because they won't give you the productivity you want.

"They attempt, I think, in a genuine way to hold you to ransom, and I think that's almost where it got with Andy.

"The defining moment for me was when Andy's dad (and agent) rang me several times on Thursday.

"If he'd stayed we would have had a very unhappy player on our hands, plus I think (Charlton) would have continued to work away at him.

"That would have jeopardised any value we got in Andy Gray.

"It's sad, but that's how the popular players operate these days. They're very streetwise."

Comments

• Options
    Thats life, we've had it with numerous players, Parker and Murphy being the highest profile candidates. from Burnley's point of view, its a good way for their board to deflect criticism.
  • Options
    If my firm wouldn't let me go somewhere that was offering to double my salary then I think they'd struggle to get their desired level of performance out of me too!

(That said any Charlton players in the reverse situation, a la Scott Parker, are greedy scumbags).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PassItToLeaburn[/cite]If my firm wouldn't let me go somewhere that was offering to double my salary then I think they'd struggle to get their desired level of performance out of me too!

(That said any Charlton players in the reverse situation, a la Scott Parker, are greedy scumbags).
    lol
  • Options
    Why didnt they offer to double his wages
  • Options
    Very true, Leaburn. We've certainly been there, and might find ourselves there again if we miss promotion. At 30, it may not be him they're after though. Still, hopefully he's gonna just blast us to the Prem instead!!
  • Options
    Lets face it. The old loyal ways have largely gone. I don't blame the players. Football is a business now and all the parties to it are aware that the stakes are high.

Our club has been on the receiving end of this kind of player antics and no doubt from that, we've learnt how to do this with players we are after.

One things for certain, it will never be anything different now.