Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How bad was Youga yesterday?

edited January 2008 in General Charlton
One of my non Charlton supporting mates watched the game on Sky yesterday and reckoned he was abysmal. When I told him he had been playing well in recent games, including against Blackpool where the crowd started chanting his name because he was playing so well, he couldn't believe it could possibly be the same bloke. Unfortunately I have only seen the highlights of the game so I cannot judge his performance.

Comments

• Options
    He wasn't "bad". Wasn't as good as in, say, the Blackpool game, but he certainly wasn't "abysmal". I would suggest that you politely tell your mate he's talking out of his crevice.
  • Options
    i thought he was pony yesterday actually.
  • Options
    he's a bit naive defensively i will admit to that but he wasn't pony far from it. going forward he's very good.
  • Options
    I think he'd have faired better had Ambrose not gone persistently AWOL with his defensive duties. Makes a full back look bad when he's got 2 players to mark.
  • Options
    Total Bollox. Anyone could se that Ambrose was instructed to come in field at every opportunity switching with Varney, that is the reason alone that he had six attempts on goal, no left winger in the world would have that many.

It was the same with Sam who also was told to cut inside that is why we did not see him racing down the wing.

The sooner people wake up and get the muck out of their eyes the better.

Ambrose should not be the scapegoat, he has scored alot of goals recently and is an easy target, why does nobody get on Iwelumo's back he's a total carthorse.
  • Options
    Good post Reams.
  • Options
    Cheers salad, you know the Ambrose boo boys really need to get a grip, he can't score everytime he goes forward or has a shot at goal, the thing for me is at least he is getting into the positions to have an effort on goal.

All you hear is boo boo Ambrose and yet Iwelumo has scored two in fourteen games, the guy is not a footballer, he is a player handy to throw on when we are a goal down with 15 minutes left but that is it but does he get booed? NO and it's becoming very annoying that Darren is a constant target when for me there are plenty of others just going through the motions.
  • Options
    Reams your spot on the money there mate, charlton fan seem to forget yesterday the pitch and the weather was sh*t and the boy in red play well and should have one it. It would have been only a few weeks ago charlton wouldn't have got anything out of the game.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Reamsofverse[/cite]Total Bollox.

If you can't be civil then find another website mate. Know of any?
  • Options
    Seems my Youga thread has been hijacked by the pro and anti Ambrose lobbies. What about Youga?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are you telling me what to do ??

Grow up, websites are all about opinions, not going along with the yes men, take a look through the threads and see how many swear words are used on here.

Fancy victimising me do you matey? Bad idea and by the way Im not your mate.

You sum this site up, I was having decent conversation and as always one of the neighbourhood watch comes along and gets involved. As I said one big clique
  • Options
    He was ok bing - just ok. Had trouble staying on his feet at one point, could have done better for their goal - although he was left up against their big fella for some reason - and was given the run around a bit by their bloke on the right who was (somehow) given MotM by Sky.

Ambrose on the other hand was clearly two bob/world class - depending on what specs you were wearing!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Reamsofverse[/cite]Are you telling me what to do ??

Grow up, websites are all about opinions, not going along with the yes men, take a look through the threads and see how many swear words are used on here.

You sum this site up, I was having decent conversation and as always one of the neighbourhood watch comes along and gets involved. As I said one big clique

Reams, I thought it was a tongue in cheek comment. What did you think of how Youga played?
  • Options
    2 goals in two games plus a double against Ipswich. You are clearly anti Ambrose which is your choice I suppose you think Iwelumo is mustard too don't you?

As I said Ambrose got in the positions in the first place which is more than most and like it or not we are a point better off because of him, I don't give a hoot how many he should have scored the fact is if Youga had not had made a mess of his marking we would have won the game 1-0 and we would all now be saying it should have been more instead of slagging Ambrose off for missing a couple.
  • Options
    its all about a balancing act, and what the manager sees as more important.

At spells this season we have had both Reid and Ambrose playing left mid and neither giving the full back adequate cover. Pards will know that, but will weigh that up against the fact Reid will come inside and give you something there, as will Ambrose.

I personally think its a week area of the side that a few teams have tried to exploit in the past few months. But as i say you have to balance it up with what Ambrose gives in an attacking sense. Its worked in the last couple of games, the challenge for him is to keep producing offensively.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Reamsofverse[/cite]Are you telling me what to do ??

What on earth are you on about? As bing said, my comment was tongue in cheek - but I've obviously hit a nerve somehow! I don't understand the aggression in your posts. "Victimising"? "Neighbourhood watch"? "Clique"? Sorry, but you've completely lost me!
  • Options
    To be honest bing everytime I come on here at the moment there seems to be somebody ready to have a cheap quip and it's getting a little bit boring if im honest especially when it refers to another site.

For me Youga had his poorest game for us yesterday, but hey we are all entitled to an off day, but what gets up my nose is blaming other people as if to leave the new guys alone.

Youga was at fault for their goal, he got caught the wrong side of Henderson and put in a nothing challenge, ive been a centre half so was my old man and if you can't jump to win the ball at least jump with who your marking.

Youga lost concentration and that was it 1-0, blaming other people is a nonsense, when you have a couple of midfielders who look to have more chance of scoring than your so called centre forward then there is something wrong.

Iwelumo, McLeod and Thomas out

another striker and a tough tackling midfielder in is what we need
  • Options
    I wouldn't of picked one out for the goal, i could of blamed three of the four defenders - Youga for the wrongside, Bougherra being attracted towards the ball and leaving his man, Moo2 for not seeing this and shifting along. Combo of all three for me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Reamsofverse[/cite]To be honest bing everytime I come on here at the moment there seems to be somebody ready to have a cheap quip and it's getting a little bit boring if im honest especially when it refers to another site.

And that was me today was it? Blimey, you shouldn't be so sensitive mate. Chill out - I'm a lovely bloke really!
    ;o)
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Ok Off_it I apologise, but it would be nice to generally be accepted when I come on here to discuss Charlton Athletic without the odd dig here and there.

I think a few people would do well to know that this is the only other site I go on and if im honest it's because I enjoy it.

Sometimes I don't feel very welcome because im from elsewhere and because of it im held at arms length.

Im Addicks mad at the end of the day, the fact that I run another site shouldn't have anything to do with it, im not here to be different mate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2008
    No worries reams.

I wouldn't worry about feeling welcome. It doesn't bother me. I just come on here, post shit and bugger off again - well, it's what everyone else seems to do so why not me too! As for all that "clique" stuff, I don't really see it myself. Mind you, I don't like anyone on here!
    ;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Reamsofverse[/cite]

Iwelumo, McLeod and Thomas out

Selling our top scorer will really help the promotion campaign.

McLeod looks to be a very good player, just needs some confidence to start putting those chances away.

Thomas, can't disagree, get rid.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Reamsofverse[/cite]Total Bollox. Anyone could se that Ambrose was instructed to come in field at every opportunity switching with Varney, that is the reason alone that he had six attempts on goal, no left winger in the world would have that many.

It was the same with Sam who also was told to cut inside that is why we did not see him racing down the wing.

Ambrose should not be the scapegoat, he has scored alot of goals recently and is an easy target, why does nobody get on Iwelumo's back he's a total carthorse.[/quote]

I'm not knocking Ambrose's offensive qualities, though am I? What I am knocking is his lack of defensive awareness.

If we were/are continuing to play with a lack of width, yet Watford were playing with width, then that is Pardew's fault for not balancing our team to give Youga sufficient cover as there were plenty of times he was outnumbered - and thus as a consequence, in my opinion that made his performance look worse than it was.

I don't think I class myself strictly as an Ambrose 'boo-boy', indeed I don't boo any of our players, but his in-effectiveness in the defensive third of the pitch routinely infuriates me. He is often caught ball-watching, has little idea of how to get goalside and lacks that physical side to his game - highlighted by a cheap free kick he gave away deep in our half the result of his naivety with how to defend properly.

That said his offensive qualities have all been there to see in recent weeks. I'm genuinely pleased he scored, but I fail to see why he's utilised out on the left wing when he's not left footed and in a position that requires a modicum of defensive awareness, something I think he's always lacked.

Back on topic I didn't think Youga was particularly bad yesterday and we still have the two best fullbacks in the division - which is all the more pleasing when you consider combined they've cost us £400k
  • Options
    Reams,

Those on here who know you, know you are mad on the Addicks. Keep posting, it all adds to our enjoyment and perspective on the club we love. I am a mere member of CL and recently your site as well and I enjoy both of them.
  • Options
    Surprised Big Chris is coming in for so much stick, I thought he did okay yesterday, won plenty of headers and was always involved in the game.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]

Mind you, I don't like anyone on here!
    ;o)

We don't like you either, Off_it.....you always so damned reasonable and, well, nice!

;o)
  • Options
    Back to topic..... for the Watford goal yesterday, Henderson dropped deeper from his normal position to the edge of the box to draw Bougherra from the centre; Bougherra started coming to follow his man.

Youga is now up against a much bigger bloke and not the player he was tasked to mark. He's also wary of conceding a foul in that position, perhaps a penalty and for a split second he hesitates and Henderson gets in front of him, wins the header looping the ball over Boogie whose caught marking no one.

Ball drops to unmarked Ellington on the far post, who calmly rolls the ball into the net.
    Where was Moo2 ......there's the ball watcher.
  • Options
    I think you've confused me with Len Glover Oggy!
  • Options
    Sorry, Offy ....... I liked your reply to big bad tempered reamsy. Made me smile.

Len's a nice bloke, too. Isn't he doing time...?

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Back to topic..... for the Watford goal yesterday, Henderson dropped deeper from his normal position to the edge of the box to draw Bougherra from the centre; Bougherra started coming to follow his man.

Youga is now up against a much bigger bloke and not the player he was tasked to mark. He's also wary of conceding a foul in that position, perhaps a penalty and for a split second he hesitates and Henderson gets in front of him, wins the header looping the ball over Boogie whose caught marking no one.

Ball drops to unmarked Ellington on the far post, who calmly rolls the ball into the net.
    Where was Moo2 ......there's the ball watcher.

I only watched the highlights but actually I saw it much as you've described it Oggy. Youga was not decisive in his challenge but in wasn't just all down to him.