Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - 22nd January 2003. Charlton 4 West Ham 2

edited January 2008 in General Charlton
There seems to be a bottomless pit of these games with our friends from over the water. A fixture that I always look forward to.

Wednesday 22nd January 2003.

Charlton Athletic 4 (2) (Jensen 42, Parker 45 52, Kishishev 90) West Ham United 2 (1) (Rufus (og) 19, Fish (og) 62). The Valley. Att: 26,327.

Charlton: Kiely, Fish, Rufus, Fortune, Powell, Kishishev, Euell, Parker, Jensen (Svensson 88), Lisbie (Konchesky 72), Bartlett (Johansson 85). Unused subs: Rachubka, Bart-Williams.

West Ham: James, Lomas, Breen, Dailly, Minto (Winterburn 73), Bowyer, Cisse (Johnson 62), Carrick, Sinclair, L Ferdinand, Defoe. Unused subs: Van Der Gouw, Hutchison, Pearce.

Referee: Eddie Wolstenholme ( Lancs)

Debut: Les Ferdinand, signed from Spurs 24 hours earlier, made his West Ham debut.

England: Parker's Man-of-the-match performance was watched by Tord Grip, the England manager's right hand man.

The victory was Charlton's 200th home win in top flight football.

Comments

• i loved the way West Ham didnt even score in the game!!
  • lol WSS.
  • This was the "too good to go down" West Ham team which went down wasn't it. For some reason which escapes me, I couldn't go. We did have some good games with the Hamsters though.
  • This was the game that said to me that Parker had come of age. I can remember Bowyer trying to put Parker up in the air and then about a minute later Parker leaving Bowyer in a heap on the floor as he took the ball off him.
  • I loved the look on Kish's face when he scored.
  • Great game!
  • West Ham's relegation season - can't beleve that was 5 years ago already.
    They had a team everone reckoned was "too good to go down" and they did make a fair old fight of it in the end. Weren't they relegated on something like 42 points?

They seemed to concede too many soft goals from centre midfield - and most of their problems seemed to come because they didn't protect their centre backs from centre mid. Exactly our problem last season in the Prem and early this.

Do remember that Bowyer incident that Guinness mentions. Bowyer was a particularly nasty piece of work that night and got his comeuppance when Parker guided him straight into the advertising board....kerump! LOL
  • Was a cracking game and it was great to see Parker play against Bowyer....also one of the few games when nasty little Defoe didnt score against us....
  • another boring premiership curbs win
  • I remember the West Ham players coming out for the second half first and the whole crowd singing "going down". I honestly think that contributed massively to the victory because there was no way those players were up for the second half. They looked terrified!
  • Sponsored links:

• King Claus's free kick for the first goal looked to be going miles wide when it left his boot but just about made it into the top corner, a truly magnificent free kick.
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]another boring premiership curbs win

:-)
  • I can remember the Parker / Bowyer thing, but i can't remember a single other thing from this game. None of the goals, anything.

And it was only five years ago.........
  • I only remembered Claus's free-kick when Ketman mentioned it. I think Kish scored two in a couple of weeks and then nothing........
  • the thing that sticks in my mind from this game is one period, during the first half I think. one of us had a corner in front of the north stand but a player was down injured for a good couple of minutes. Defoe was going to be manning the far post for the corner (so I assume it was our corner) and had taken up position. He endured a good couple of minutes of abuse from the whole stand while the injured player was treated. I am sure he visibly shrunk during that short time.
  • I think this match was the only time I've ever sat in the Jimmy Seed (home end of course).
    Arrived 5 minutes late because of the treck all the way round to the home entrance of the jimmy seed (past the east stand) and ended up missing the first goal. quality game.
  • looking at goalscorers, it looks like i arrived 20 minute late instead...shameful!
  • edited January 2008
    looking at goalscorers, it looks like i arrived 20 minute late instead...shameful!
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]i loved the way West Ham didnt even score in the game!!

I remember thinking of this match as 6-0 to us...
  • I was sat in the departures lounge at Dallas Fort-Worth airport. Spent the last 10 mins on the phone to Suzi who was giving me a commentary... I was almost deafened when Kish scored the 4th...
  • Sponsored links:

• Dallas Cowboys fixture was it?
  • I remember it well as I was living in West Ham heartland at the time.

I had one too many before the game and was desperate for a pee before half-time. I stood at the top of the East Stand behind the steward waiting for the whistle, so I could be first in the bog.

When Parker scored I went absolutelty ballistic, lost my keys and my gloves but ooh, how good that pee felt.
  • [cite]Posted By: ChicagoAddick[/cite]I had one too many before the game and was desperate for a pee before half-time. I stood at the top of the East Stand behind the steward waiting for the whistle, so I could be first in the bog.

When Parker scored I went absolutelty ballistic, lost my keys and my gloves but ooh, how good that pee felt.
    Bet the steward didnt feel the same
  • afka

drunk again buddy where you
  • Excellent Vid, great memories....
  • I had £2 on Charlton to win 4-2 and Rufus to score the first goal @ 450/1. Do you think the barstards paid up? Course they didn't. The ironic thing is that I always used to do Charlton to win 4-2 for every match with Jensen to score the first goal and on the one occasion I didn't do it......<weeps uncontrollably>
  • edited January 2008
    jensen and parker - don't care what anyone says - OUR best partnership in midfield for years.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]i loved the way West Ham didnt even score in the game!!

Bollocks. The 1st goal was a sublime strike by Eddy Cisse!
  • Rocking times..