Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Garry Birtles - Comments during game

Did anyone else think that Birtles was well out of order with some of the comments he made last night ? Why on earth he felt justified in saying that Magic stamped on Davenport on purpose I will never know. Not what Isaw at any rate. The mans a p*rick. Can Magic sue for defamation ? ;)

Comments

• Options
    the bloke is an absolute idiot.
  • Options
    Was that who it was? I thought he had it in for Magic a bit, I saw the 'stamp' a few times and if he meant it he disguised that fact bloody well.
  • Options
    Me & Mr KBLS had a 'converstaion' about this & I wondered if I was wearing red & white tinted glasses. I don't think Majid deliberately stamped on him in fact I thought as he was falling over that blonde moaning Watford player caught his foot which made him land on his chest.

But the Sky commentators were really slating him.

Aparently it's because I've never played football to any standard that I don't see it for what it is.

I say pah!

;-)
  • Options
    Birtles was out of order !!! I was watching the game here with my yank wife and even she said it wasn't deliberate. Magic was off balance and just tried to put his foot down. What a twat
  • Options
    Then his comment about Magic feigning injury when he got punched in the face by Weaver and had to go off made me mad......how did that twat get that job ????
  • Options
    Henderson being the blonde haired twunt.
  • Options
    was watching the match with an everton supporting mate and even he said "has that Birtles got it in for you lot?"
  • Options
    so glad others have said about this. All through the game there was a negative slant towards us. Was really winding us up at the time.

And if he said one more time about 'making the keeper work'.....
  • Options
    To be honest if he has got a problem with us he is not on his own in the media.

He was getting up my nose with his constant 'make the keeper work'. Miserable sh*te.
  • Options
    I thought the bloke was an absolute idiot, he was blaing Magic for Davenpoart getting stretchered off when it was his own player that landed on his neck and then took down Bougherra, what was he supposed to do float over him?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As he is the Championship's version of Andy Gray (the other one) I would think we're stuck with him all season.
  • Options
    to be honest, i text Medders when Davenport went down and said "Bougy meant to do that". I did think he meant it but then saw it again and a couple of times after and changed my opinion.
  • Options
    gotta say I thought bougy nearly left us in the shite in the last minute,goin down like a tart.Which meant he had to go off for the corner luckily Pards quick thinkin got Fortune on quick.
  • Options
    he was bang out f order about the weaver bit - but personally i think he did stamp on the fella
  • Options
    Birtles is a complete cnut.

I used to work in Fleet St and used to go the high court when Paul Elliot was suing Dean Saunders for the tackle that finished his career.

Birtles was called as a witness and bowled into court with a sense of self importance, airing his views. The barrister ripped him to shreds and made him look a complete tit. At one point he lost his rag and had to be told by the judge to answer the question.
  • Options
    I thought it was deliberate, but was in a minority of one.
  • Options
    I thought it was a blatant stamp and can't believe I'm in such a minority! He didn't need to fall over and even when he did, he could've stepped out of the way but chose not to. As a player I think Bougherra's okay, but as a person I think he's a nasty piece of work. I still got memories of him rolling around at Hull like he'd been shot and then getting straight to his feet when the referee didn't give a foul. And why did he feign injury at the end? It could have left us a man short defending a corner until Pards took him off and the replays showed that Weaver didn't touch him. I know it's part of football now but I still cringe when I see Charlton players diving or putting on injuries to get players sent off/booked.

Birtles is poor though, I hate commentators who spend the game criticising players technique. He slagged Lloyd Sam off for not getting his shot on target even though he was at full stretch and spent most of the game moaning. He's only covering the Championship for a reason you know...............
  • Options
    Still haven't got over the whole 5 minute Benny Hill stretcher routine home to colchester (after he'd gave away the ball in the run up to giving them the penalty) - he just couldn't take it that he was shite! looking more solid but has a touch of the pantomime about him no doubt.
  • Options
    He's definitely got a touch of the El Karkouri's about him!
  • Options
    Re: The Colchester incident, we'd even got to the stage of getting a sub stripped off and ready to come on even though it was blatantly obvious that there was fook all wrong with him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: HandG[/cite]I thought it was a blatant stamp and can't believe I'm in such a minority! He didn't need to fall over and even when he did, he could've stepped out of the way but chose not to. As a player I think Bougherra's okay, but as a person I think he's a nasty piece of work. I still got memories of him rolling around at Hull like he'd been shot and then getting straight to his feet when the referee didn't give a foul. And why did he feign injury at the end? It could have left us a man short defending a corner until Pards took him off and the replays showed that Weaver didn't touch him. I know it's part of football now but I still cringe when I see Charlton players diving or putting on injuries to get players sent off/booked.

Birtles is poor though, I hate commentators who spend the game criticising players technique. He slagged Lloyd Sam off for not getting his shot on target even though he was at full stretch and spent most of the game moaning. He's only covering the Championship for a reason you know...............

I seriously doubt he feigned injury at the end. Looked to me like he was on the receiving end of a Weaver punch. Why would anyone fiegn injury at such a time anyway?
  • Options
    To run the clock down and take the impetus & momentum from opponents who'd just won a corner.
    Oldest trick in the book.
  • Options
    I seriously doubt he stepped on him intentionally. It looked as if he was complaining to the ref about something or other just as his foot was coming down. As if he'd draw attention to himself before stamping on someone!
  • Options
    i thought it was accidental, his momentum and being nudged by the watford fella meant he was going that way and it was never a stamp he trod on him as lightly as he could in that situation but i make the twat birtles right by saying work the keeper cos our finishing was pitiful (again) and when we did work the keeper we scored with a basic shot that should've been saved
  • Options
    The way we all saw it at home was that Bougy turned to the ref to moan about something and as he turned the first Watford player was in his way and as he tried to step over him as not to tread on him he had no choice but to tread on the second player (Unless he's double jointed and can do some kind of splits in mid air!) and if you watch it again (and again - Thanks to Sky +) as soon as his foot makes contact with the second player he lifts it off straight away and and falls over. Personally (and I could be wrong - the only person that can tell us otherwise is Bougy) I don't think he meant it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MariaCAFC[/cite]The way we all saw it at home was that Bougy turned to the ref to moan about something and as he turned the first Watford player was in his way and as he tried to step over him as not to tread on him he had no choice but to tread on the second player (Unless he's double jointed and can do some kind of splits in mid air!) and if you watch it again (and again - Thanks to Sky +) as soon as his foot makes contact with the second player he lifts it off straight away and and falls over. Personally (and I could be wrong - the only person that can tell us otherwise is Bougy) I don't think he meant it.

Magic didn't mean it, there was definitely a negative slant towards us in the commentary - probably biased but I think they were trying to talk up the game because I don't think Sky enjoyed the first half so they tried to create some drama - does that make sense!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: HandG[/cite]And why did he feign injury at the end? It could have left us a man short defending a corner until Pards took him off and the replays showed that Weaver didn't touch him.

I'd like to see the replay again cos I saw something different to you. Looked to me that Weaver caught him square on the jaw.

He looked gone after that, don't think he was faking it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: NorthStandUltra[/cite]Magic didn't mean it, there was definitely a negative slant towards us in the commentary - probably biased

I don't know if its just me, but I have felt all season that there has been a media bias against us, either in failing to cover our games in the press, or just small bylines, or focussing on the opponenents or just slagging us off. i don't think we have ever been forgiven for getting rid of Mr "Face for Radio" Dowie.
  • Options
    At first I didn't think it was a stamp - but they showed it again from a low angle and his boot definetly appears to gain speed as it hits Davenports midriff. It also looked like he took a decent right hander from Weaver as well.

Birtles is still a tosser though.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: NorthStandUltra[/cite]Magic didn't mean it, there was definitely a negative slant towards us in the commentary - probably biased

I don't know if its just me, but I have felt all season that there has been a media bias against us, either in failing to cover our games in the press, or just small bylines, or focussing on the opponenents or just slagging us off. i don't think we have ever been forgiven for getting rid of Mr "Face for Radio" Dowie.

Not it's not just you! We were watching Soccor Sat before the match and you would have thought that Waford were playing theirselves everytime the mentioned the fact that Watford were playing in the evening KO they failed to mention that we were too!!

I hate Sky where Charlton are concerned - Glory Hunting Tw*ts!

Rant over!