Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Premiership - How predictable is it?

Just noticed this morning as the Prem results rolled in that contests between the "big four" and the rest are getting increasingly predictable and you have to wonder how much longer they can keep this going before people start to vote with their feet and wallets.

Look at these scores, these are all games that 10-15 years ago would have been considered "tricky" for the away side but these days you just so rarely get an upset.....

Birmingham 0 Chelsea 1
Fulham 0 Arsenal 3
Reading 0 Man Utd 2

Its just so depressing, don't you agree? In some ways I dread going back up because you get the feeling that playing the big four home or away is a bit of a waste of time.

Comments

• Options
    Agree ormiston and I watch a lot of premiershit football due to being so far from home. It's predictable and boring but we'll still watch it.

I can't wait for OooAaar's comment on this - it'll be as predictable as the premiershit is these days (I still see his point though, the champs is exciting but a relatively poor standard - our situation is catch 22 IMHO though).
  • Options
    I find though that every football-savvy Canadian I know, and given the size of the football club I play for thats a lot, supports (without fail) one of Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal or Liverpool - they are beside themselves with excitement about the EPL! I would not shed a tear if the 4 of them buggered off to a TV European League & left the rest of the clubs to get on with it. The Premiership as a competition would be infintely better without them.
  • Options
    But most leagues are the same you have the top teams that will win the league so what can be done. Say the top four did move to a euro league, maybe for one or two seasons it would be close in the prem but you would soon get another top tier for sky would show them much more and so the money gap would mean it would happen all over.
  • Options
    seriously thinking about handicapping the Predictions League game as there are two schools; Those that pick any old game and those that pick 3 of the big 4 every week. And i know which one is most successful..... :-(
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafc_in_perth[/cite]But most leagues are the same you have the top teams that will win the league so what can be done. Say the top four did move to a euro league, maybe for one or two seasons it would be close in the prem but you would soon get another top tier for sky would show them much more and so the money gap would mean it would happen all over.
    Agreed. I think the new TV deal should be completely equal - 20 live games for every team (or something like that). That way everybody gets the same basic TV deal money and also the same Live TV money.
  • Options
    The top 4 positions should get less money due to the Champions League slots with the remaing money spread much more evenly.
  • Options
    as predictable as the premiership (top end) is the quality of football is superb and easily the best i've seen in my 30 years of watching football and long may it continue ...
    yeah in an ideal world everyone would have a chance but i recall liverpool being dominant in the late 70's and eighties with the odd touch of arsenal and man utd and arsenal in the nineties so in all my life there's only been a few clubs capable of winning it , the problem is a villa, everton or a forest may never have a chance of breaking the mould as happened previously...
    but i know i'll watch ALL of match of the day and only odd bits of the championship round up program
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]as predictable as the premiership (top end) is the quality of football is superb and easily the best i've seen in my 30 years of watching football and long may it continue ...
    Do you really think so? Seriously? I've been more entertained watching darts than I have premiership football in the last two months. Honestly - I haven't seen a single game that has held my attention for more than ten minutes. Name me the last great premiership game you saw - with good quality football and excitement - if you can put three in from the last two seasons I'll be surprised.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Sky have utterly ruined football in this country.
  • Options
    agree with your last bit Leroy, but not on the entertainment factor.

Man U in particular have been playing some amazing stuff of late, destroyed Newcastle with a footballing lesson last week for example. Arsenal and Spurs always play good football, and Chelsea are a bit more entertaining to watch now post-Jose. Pompey play with a lot of pace and power, Villa have rose a level, and even Boro were playing some good attacking football yesterday.
  • Options
    exciting live sky games IMO;-) last season spurs 2 newcastle 3
    west ham 3 spurs 4
    this season spurs 4 villa 4
    spurs 2 birmingham 3
    arsenal 1 chelsea 0

and there has been plenty of excitement in other matches

goals galore and excitement, maybe not the greatest quality but there's plenty of dour quality available in serie A and i know which league i'd rather be watching ....
    sky have turned the game into a big money thing but that's led to better players coming to the premiership admittedly at the cost of home grown players progression being slowed down (the cream will rise to the top, eventually anyway) as vancouver says above it's a catch 22 situation...
    i'm pretty sure the average amount of goals per game in the top division of english football has risen since the beginning of the premiership as have average crowds
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]I would not shed a tear if the 4 of them buggered off to a TV European League & left the rest of the clubs to get on with it

The European Superleague break away will never happen. To make up a 18 team league you would take EPL (4), Spanish (3) Italy (3) Germany (2) Portugal (2) France (1) Holland (1) Scotland (1) Norway (1). Some teams that are used to finishing top 3 in their domestic leagues will have to finish, at minimum in the 10th position and that would not be acceptable. Fewer away supporters would travel to away games, creating Lutonesque type atmospheres and traditional domestic rivalries will always out score fabricated european league games. Sadly we are saddled with the money bag top 3 plus Liverpool, who exploit our game and artificially look good.

BTW if Liverpool do get taken over by Dubai Investment Company, will they then officially have a board room ful of dics
  • Options
    i have yet to watch a chumpionship game and thought - yeah,this is where i want charlton to be.
  • Options
    Yes it is predictable but at least now we have 3 teams capable of winning it in Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea. In many previous years it's been a 2 horse race. And there are 3-4 teams challenging for 4th place although Liverpool will probably get it.
    But name me a major league around Europe which isn't predictable?
    Spain - it's going to be Barca or Real.
    Italy - Inter are currently streets ahead of everyone.
    Scotland - Celtic and Rangers
    Portugal - Porto always stroll it.
    France - Lyon always stroll it
    Holland - PSV or Ajax
    Germany is about the only league right now. Bayern cocked it up majorly last season but reacted by spenidng about 50-60m in the summer so will be right back winning it again pretty soon.

At least with our league the quality of football is generally better and more exciting to watch than in other countries.
  • Options
    Agree with you there Chris, at least we have 4 big clubs. The rest of the world love our football, Ive travelled a fair bit and everywhere Ive been you find Prem footi.

Ive also seen plenty of great games this season and have no complaints against what Sky have done, just hope we can have our 50 mil next season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]i have yet to watch a chumpionship game and thought - yeah,this is where i want charlton to be.

And this season I've yet to watch any Premier football whatsoever on the telly.
    It's completely passed me by and I've had no interest at all since Charlton were relegated.

But while the Championship is an interesting enough diversion for a season, I've spent more than enough years watching Charlton tread water in League backwaters - so promotion at all costs has to be my target. And evidently the club's too.

So fingers crossed, I'll be following the Prem media circus next season - and looking forward to 2 mins of Charlton at the end of Match of the Day.