Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Paddy McCarthy

Anyone out there still want to slate Pardew for buying McCarthy? I thought the big man was great today, really solid in tough conditions against a right tough lump in Henderson.

He's sure no Richard Rufus but he's an honest pro who gives it 100% and you can't ask for more than that.

Give me him over Diawara, Faye or El Karkouri any day of the week.

Comments

• Options
    And I think he seems a cool organiser in a back 4 with MOO2,Bougy and Youga who look a little more volatile.

So I would say its quite a good combination for a team that wants to play football.
  • Options
    totally agree,after a shakey start i think his recent performances have been very good.I thought he was our mom,does anyone know who won mom on Sky?
  • Options
    Bang on, Ormy. And credit where it's due.

He does lack pace, as we know - but today he positioned himself well, got in some good 'last man' saving tackles and organised the back four reasonably well.

As long as players are not allowed to run at him (think Lisbie for that penalty) he's sound.
    Reminds me a bit of Eddie Youds ......no real pace but solid defender who invariably gets the basics right.

And maybe good captain material.
  • Options
    Watfords Smith was MOM
  • Options
    Tommy Smith,ur avin a bubble!
  • Options
    We don't give a toss about Watford.

Who was OUR man of the match?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]Watfords Smith was MOM

in all seriousness though?

i can't think of one thing he did, apart from run past Youga after the thirty-ninth time he slipped over
  • Options
    Paddy 4 me!
  • Options
    he's won me over with his attitude and application i thought he was first class
  • Options
    I have been impressed with his recent performances and he actually looks an assured footballer when the balls at his feet, which rather makes a mockery of the McCarthorse tag that some were giving him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Absolutely agree. Humble pie - I thought he was ****ing useless when we first bought him. Oddly enough, I thought he had a good game at Palarse then dropped off the face of the Earth. SInce he's come back into the side he seems a completely different player and I'm warming to him more each game. Still don't think he's a good footballer, but he's 100% committed and, as IMTPM said, he is a good organiser in a back four that looks very much like it has the ability to run around like headless chickens.
  • Options
    He did play well today. Solid. I first saw him at full back and was shocked by his lack of pace and inability to run with the ball. Certainly happier in the middle.
  • Options
    I guess it's about playing to a player's strengths - you've got to play him in the position he's suited to get the best out of him.

Obvious I know, but there's plenty of managers out there who are prepared to play players out of position - and then wonder why the player struggles.
  • Options
    Got to say I am same as Leroy thought he was shocking at first but he's been great of late. he bollocks everyone around which is what is needed - i'd even be tempted to make him captain.
  • Options
    He is probably ok until he comes up against the next quick striker that runs at him or turns him. Hasn't got pace and I am not convinced. Whilst we have pace in the other back positions hopefully he might not get exposed so much, I accept his attribute is in the air and effort. We are still letting too many goals in hence to many draws and not enough wins, clean sheets are required and we are not getting them with the current centre half pairing.
  • Options
    The question posed was who was Skys MOM.

And the correct answer was Watfords Smith.

My MOM was actually Ambrose. I genuinely thought he was the most creative.

Made me laugh when he got booked as it showed he cant tackle but he did at least try.
  • Options
    Hopefully Ambrose will be left in the side for a while now. I know he is not as fluid as Thomas appears to be wide left but he was much, much more dangerous when cutting in as he has always been. Look at his stats for the season (assists and goals) and compare it to Thomas'. I don't have them nor have I seen them but to my mind that would be a good marker as to whom is the better player.

I might even stop calling him Sharon now.

Or maybe not, it's affectionate!!!
  • Options
    naa diawara was prem class, none of our current crop are - no disrespect to them.
  • Options
    like not jumping and letting the ball bounce over him twice at wigan last year? seeing that in the flesh took a lot of forgiving i tell you
  • Options
    ISLS be fair, I think he had a hang over at the time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was definitely one of the people slating Paddy at the start of the season.

Credit where it's due I thought he was our MOM yesterday.

I agree with the other posts. When it's backs against the wall battling you need, he's a good player. But he lacks pace and is slow to turn and will always struggle in those circumstances.

Whether he remains in the team depends on Sodje's return to fitness, after his "Fish accident" sliced his arm/hand at home on glass and whether Fortune comes back in.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]naa diawara was prem class, none of our current crop are - no disrespect to them.

raz mate please Diawarra was not prem class - he was getting there but too slowly
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    And maybe good captain material.

Pretty sure he was Leicester's captain last season
  • Options
    Yes, Diawara had so much Premiership class that he could not even get into the side that was relegated.

The bloke was terrible from the start, improved slightly to become just about incompetent.

God knows how he would have coped with this league with the amount of aerial stuff flying about.
  • Options
    very well put Ormiston.