Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Gray - first thoughts

edited January 2008 in General Charlton
Looked useful to me. Like Iwelumo has a bit of a presence, but certainly appears as if he is going to be a more useful link man than big Chris is.

Think £1.5m is a fair enough fee given his tally this season. Have a feeling him and Varney could make a pretty lethal combo if they click together.

Your thoughts ?

Comments

• Options
    more moblie than big chris, held the ball up well, good first touch and pretty physical too

like you i think it's got to be him and Varney together
  • Options
    I agree with that AFKA! Said pretty much the same in the game thread. His experience & solid goalscoring efforts give us a bit more of an edge than Iwelumo does(whilst he didn't play too bad today-definitely upped his game in the wake of the Gray signing!). With Varneys Garry Nelson-esque workrate tendencies, we could have a bit of a decent duo on our hands.

Grays experience will definitely help the younger strikers too!
  • Options
    Sorted. Gray and Varney it is.

Thought Moo2 and Youga were weak links today.

And Ambrose made a positive contribution, shame he didnt take one of those other chances. Thought the substitutions were spot on.

2 week break should be good for us.
  • Options
    edited January 2008

....Reflecting on debutant Andy Gray, Pardew added: "We've been after him for a while and his little cameo has given me a lift. There's still just a few bits to sort out but I'm 99 per cent sure it will all get sorted"

99% sure, Pards......?

I thought Youga was great going forward, nice touch on the ball and composed - Tommy Smith was a tricky character and Youga didn't win everything but quickly recovered his positioning bar a couple of times. The winger wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't beat his man sometimes.

Moo2.......not sure. Ran well with the ball when overlapping but not really any end product. Defensively positionally weak - he's often the wrong side of his man. Plus point: Shows plenty of zest and enthusiasm; I'm well impressed how he's willing to sprint 50 yards back if a move breaks down.

Sorry, done it again - this is supposed to be the Andy Gray thread. So - what I saw in 30 mins - yeah, a little bit of the Andy Hunt style.

Liked what I saw.
  • Options
    Sorry my fault for going off message.

Assuming the 1% is not an issue I would be surprised if we dont start with Gray/Varney against Stoke.
  • Options
    He never scored and goals win games. I say sell him. eh Golie???
  • Options
    I like him. Looks strong and tasty.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]I like him. Looks long and lusty.

Been out for a couple of sherberts tonight, DJ.......? :o)
  • Options
    he looked alright in the little time he had
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]
    2 week break should be good for us.

Only 9-10 days, we've got Stoke a week on tuesday.

Agreed about Gray, he's proven at this level and will do well with Varney. Iwelumo and Dickson will be good subs if we're chasing a game.
    McLeod will be loaned out to get some confidence.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hope he's as good as his old man was at Dirty Leeds (eddie)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: 12th Man[/cite]Hope he's as good as his old man was at Dirty Leeds (eddie)
    His dad is actually Frank Gray. Eddie is his uncle.
  • Options
    Got to say I was dis-appointed when we signed him but was pleasantly surprised to see the ball not bouncing off him everytime it was played to him, something that our other forwards should learn from. Whether he'll improve the team that remains to be seen.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite] Whether he'll improve the team that remains to be seen.

If it means he plays instead of Iwelumo then it's a definite improvement!
  • Options
    Come on Christopher....

You're namesake is our top goalscorer and without his goals we would be in a far worse off position at this point.

(not saying nobody else wouldnt have scored these goals, but credit where its due!)
  • Options
    DIdnt score BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

get rid
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]
    2 week break should be good for us.[/quote]

Only 9-10 days, we've got Stoke a week on tuesday.

What an idiot completely forgot about Stoke. They are out of cup too. Thats a big game with decent home performance from players and crowd needed. Surely Stoke wont bring too many so we must make 'home' advantage count.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Come on Christopher....

You're namesake is our top goalscorer and without his goals we would be in a far worse off position at this point.

(not saying nobody else wouldnt have scored these goals, but credit where its due!)

Don't get me wrong, i can completely give Iwelumo credit this season, winning us points against the likes of Sheff Weds, Bristol city, southampton, that we probably wouldn't have got without him. At times he's been given the thankless role of lone striker and i know he played a lot of games carrying injuries, but my point was mainly that i think Gray is a step up from him.
  • Options
    Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Andy Gray Is Poooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Didnt score didnt shoot didnt do squat

Mcleod in Gray out
  • Options
    If Pards reckons he can do the Toddy linking job then hopefully it strengthens us.

We've missed Toddy's quality at times for sure.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]If Pards reckons he can do the Toddy linking job then hopefully it strengthens us.

We've missed Toddy's quality at times for sure.

definately, didn't really see enough of him saturday to form an opinion, I suspect him and Varney will start against Stoke
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]DIdnt score BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

get rid

That would be funny if, it didn't have more than a grain of truth in it!!
  • Options
    Just thought i would start it early and DICKo still no league goal as well so so far today Iwellumo, dicko and Gray (ok the latter 2 by me are gonna get it until they score)

just because i dont mean it but dont let on
  • Options
    Not sure if this has been said elsewhere, but according to the OS, Gray has joined us as an emergency loan - is that Football speak for the deal wasn't officially completed in time, so we've loaned him in for a bit.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: NorthStandUltra[/cite]Not sure if this has been said elsewhere, but according to the OS, Gray has joined us as an emergency loan - is that Football speak for the deal wasn't officially completed in time, so we've loaned him in for a bit.

It was so Pards could play him on Saturday as we missed the 5.00pm deadline for permanent signings to play that weekend.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: NorthStandUltra[/cite]Not sure if this has been said elsewhere, but according to the OS, Gray has joined us as an emergency loan - is that Football speak for the deal wasn't officially completed in time, so we've loaned him in for a bit.

It was so Pards could play him on Saturday as we missed the 5.00pm deadline for permanent signings to play that weekend.

Now I understand, thanks Ketman!