Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New article: The Jimmy Seed debate goes South

edited January 2008 in General Charlton
Latest article from Ben Hayes on the link below

http://www.charltonlife.com/blog/?p=169

Comments

• Options
    OI! HENRY.

For those in the know, if you walk down floyd road in front of the chip ship on a post is a sign directing away fans to the SOUTH STAND.

So should this sign be changed to direct fans to the Jimmy Seed Stand?
  • Options
    Correct me if I`m wrong, but wasn`t it a council thing on our return to call the stands after points on a compass? The proper names are The Covered End, The Jimmy Seed Stand or previously" the away end "although as a kid I remember changing ends at halftime, The Main Stand (Mainly cos we only had one) and I remember the other being called the The High Terrace (for obvious reasons) and the council can do one ;)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]Correct me if I`m wrong, but wasn`t it a council thing on our return to call the stands after points on a compass? The proper names are The Covered End, The Jimmy Seed Stand or previously" the away end "although as a kid I remember changing ends at halftime, The Main Stand (Mainly cos we only had one) and I remember the other being called the The High Terrace (for obvious reasons) and the council can do one ;)

No, that was the excuse that the club hid behind thinking that they would be able to sell the names of the stands. As I pointed out long and hard in Voice of the Valley at least one Stand already had a name and the others should have been and still should other Charlton related names.
    [cite]Posted By: Badger[/cite]OI! HENRY.

For those in the know, if you walk down floyd road in front of the chip ship on a post is a sign directing away fans to the SOUTH STAND.

So should this sign be changed to direct fans to the Jimmy Seed Stand?

Yes it should. Where's Banksey when you need him?
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Always has always will be The South Stand for me.

Why should stands have names? Are there only four people who have made Charlton what it is today?
  • Options
    Can I just say how comes Arsenal still does not give 10% of their ground to the away fans.
  • Options
    The rule is 10% or 3k, whichever is the lower. I'm pretty sure the rule used to be just 10%, but then Man Utd complained and the rule got changed
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]Always has always will be The South Stand for me. You sound like a PC spouting labour leftie the way you feel the need to correct people who might dare have an opinion. Why should stands have names? Are there only four people who have made Charlton what it is today?

What a shame that you had to start throwing insults about. It was a good deabte.
  • Options
    Wow. Good argument. No answer to the questions then?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]Wow. Good argument. No answer to the questions then?

Wow, Insults someone and then expects to be taken seriously and have his questions answered.

Shame.
  • Options
    now now
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dear oh dear. I'm sorry. Didnt realise you were so sensitive. I also didnt realise saying someone 'sounded like' would be construed as an insult and I certainly didnt intend to upset anyone. Many apologies.

Now could you please, pretty please, answer my questions?
  • Options
    Personally, i can see merit in the idea that there are more than 4 people who have " made Charlton what it is today" but i feel that it is correct to honour JS by naming the stand after him, and certainly better than naming it after a commercial sponser.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]Dear oh dear. I'm sorry. Didnt realise you were so sensitive. I also didnt realise saying someone 'sounded like' would be construed as an insult and I certainly didnt intend to upset anyone. Many apologies.

Now could you please, pretty please, answer my questions?

Since your apology is so hollow and your view of me is so low I wonder why you still want to know what I think.

Got better things to do so I'm leaving it there.

Bye
  • Options
    Terrible.
  • Options
    No ones doing temselves any favours here and i'm off out so i've moved it.

might be worth editing and reposting?
  • Options
    I agree, we have a great stand, yet simply hand it over to a former managers name. What right does he have.

Reclaim the SOUTH STAND !! :-)

Or at least rotate the name through important characters in the club's history.

'Where you sitting today fella?'
    'I'm sitting in the Reuben Agbbola'
  • Options
    What about the 'Kenny Achampong Stand' .......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: StanmoreAddick[/cite]Personally, i can see merit in the idea that there are more than 4 people who have " made Charlton what it is today" but i feel that it is correct to honour JS by naming the stand after him, and certainly better than naming it after a commercial sponser.

I agree, they are more than 4 people who made Charlton. However IMHO Jimmy Seed would always be in the top four of those people.

When the Stand was first built in 1980 it was named the Jimmy Seed Stand. Before then it was an open terrance and there was no stand. At the time who else could it be named after? Bartram perhaps or Glickstien (sp). Since then you could make a case for Lennie or Curbs (but how would that go down now) or even Murray but in 1980 when the stand was built Seed was the obvious choice.

Ignoring the name that the stand has is IMHO a slur to the person it was named for. It would be the same if the names of the Woolwich Ferries were changed or Nelson's Column was "re-branded" as the iTunes Tower.

I can see the arguement about not "personifying" the history of the club around a few people but disagree with it. Many other clubs name stands and lounges after old players etc. That doesn't automatically mean we should but I strongly believe that in a time when the history of football is more and more seen to have started with premiership and the ownership of clubs is spread further and further across the globe that naming stands, lounges, bars, streets, having statues, banners etc connects us with and reminds us of our history. And if you know your history....

Anyway the article was meant to be about where to put the away fans rather than the names of the stands they sit/stand up in.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]What about the 'Kenny Achampong Stand' .......

Don't think the Facia is long enough to fit all the letters in.
  • Options
    The Covered End was official renamed last month, and no one at the club said no to it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]The Covered End was official renamed last month, and no one at the club said no to it

Should be called the "live, love, laugh and be happy" stand : - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]The Covered End was official renamed last month, and no one at the club said no to it

hm26_b.jpg
  • Options
    Turn on
    Tune in
    Go to work late on Mondays
  • Options
    I strongly believe that in a time when the history of football is more and more seen to have started with premiership and the ownership of clubs is spread further and further across the globe that naming stands, lounges, bars, streets, having statues, banners etc connects us with and reminds us of our history. And if you know your history....

Great point Henry. We all live for today's result's, in the hope of a win THIS Saturday (Sunday, whatever day suits Sky etc.), but the history is what makes the CLUB. I never knew Jimmy Seed, or saw the great Sam (no, not Lloyd), but feel I know something of his qualities even if I wasn't passed over the shoulders of 75,000. To lose that is to lose our identity. It's also a collective "thank-you" for the kind of loyalty we'd love to see now.
  • Options
    Great post Paddy
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Paddy7[/cite]I strongly believe that in a time when the history of football is more and more seen to have started with premiership and the ownership of clubs is spread further and further across the globe that naming stands, lounges, bars, streets, having statues, banners etc connects us with and reminds us of our history. And if you know your history....

Great point Henry. We all live for today's result's, in the hope of a win THIS Saturday (Sunday, whatever day suits Sky etc.), but the history is what makes the CLUB. I never knew Jimmy Seed, or saw the great Sam (no, not Lloyd), but feel I know something of his qualities even if I wasn't passed over the shoulders of 75,000. To lose that is to lose our identity. It's also a collective "thank-you" for the kind of loyalty we'd love to see now.

Spot on Paddy
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

Might be a bit of a misnomer when we are losing 0-1 at home to Preston and being booed off at half time......... ;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]Always has always will be The South Stand for me.

Why should stands have names? Are there only four people who have made Charlton what it is today?

If that's the case, we might as well rename Bartrams just the "club bar" and take down his statue.
    As Paddy, Henry & co point out we do live for todays results.

But it's the legends of the past that ground the club and give us a sense of achievement and belonging.
    Just like our feeling for The Valley itself.