Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - 16th January 1988. Forest 2 Charlton 2

edited January 2008 in General Charlton
16th January 1988 City Ground. Att 15,363.

Nottingham Forest 2 (0) (Plummer 48, Webb 83) Charlton Athletic 2 (0) (Lee 71, Jones 86)

Forest: Sutton, Chettle, Pearce, Walker, Foster, Wilson, Plummer, Webb, Glover (Wilkinson 68), Gaynor (Crosby 86), Rice.

Charlton: Bolder,Humphrey, Reid, Mackenzie, Thompson, Shirtliff, Bennett, Campbell, Jones, Lee, Mortimer. Unused subs: Williams, Crooks.

Referee: R Hart (Darlington).

Prior to the kick-off, Forest manager Brian Clough was presented with his 15th Manager of the Month award.
Lovers of the game will still ask why was this highly talented and motivated man overlooked for the England managers job?

New Voice: The match saw the launch of Charlton fanzine 'Voice of the Valley', the latest manifestation of popular discontent with the clubs situation. It would run for 104 issues over a period of nearly 14 years.

Comments

• IMO, this was one of the best games of football we were involved in during our 4 year stint in the old 1st Division. I've still got it on video somewhere at home.

Interesting to see the attendance.
  • Remember this one well, was standing in the old terracing far corner, not many of us there. Remember getting my first copy of the Voice on the train up from Rick of the other spelt Everett. This was when I was a proper saddo & used to go to all away games on my own.
  • I went to this one with the Junior Reds!!! Great day out and to get a draw up there was a right result because they were one of the top three or four sides in the country at the time.

We were seated in the bottom of the stand right next to where we scored our two goals and when Jones' goal went in we all went mental and did the same at the final whistle. As we were walking out celebrating one of the Forest fans, an old bloke, said, "Fookin hell, you'd think they'd won the fookin league the way they're carrying on!"

Jones's goal was a beauty, Robert Lee got in a great cross from the right and Jones scored at the back post with a top header. I am sure Robert Lee's goal was a rare header too?
  • Was a good day that yes not many there,i remember having a few beers back in London after and heading to me fav club at that time Daniels in Eltham.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Remember getting my first copy of the Voice on the train up from Rick of the other spelt Everett.
    Who? Your Dad?

;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Remember getting my first copy of the Voice on the train up from Rick of the other spelt Everett.
    Who? Your Dad?

;-)

It's a good job your in Cardiff tomorrow West Side, that's worth a slap :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Tavern[/cite]Was a good day that yes not many there,i remember having a few beers back in London after and heading to me fav club at that time Daniels in Eltham.

Not quite a good day as I seem to recall we ended up bottom of the table that afternoon.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Remember this one well, was standing in the old terracing far corner, not many of us there.

Had moved to Worksop the previous week - so this was a handy game to go to. Was there amongst the forest fans - went with two friends of mine one of which was a Forest fan who didn't want to stand. The other had never been to a match before.
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]This was when I was a proper saddo & used to go to all away games on my own.

I am proper saddo now as I go to all the home games on my own.
  • One for the bump
  • As usual the Programme can be seen here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/11964718005

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • Sponsored links:

• 30 years today. Making anyone feel old?
  • Yep was there too - great game and it memory serves me well (probably wrong) there were some other Cl there that day with me too.No worries about booking train/ match tickets in advance - just turn up on the day - Miss those days.COYR
  • Was at this game as well.
  • Yep was there too - great game and it memory serves me well (probably wrong) there were some other Cl there that day with me too.No worries about booking train/ match tickets in advance - just turn up on the day - Miss those days.COYR

There was indeed a few of us there together mate

Yes.

Remember getting into Trent Bridge post match on the way back to the car to have a quiet wazz, then not being able to get out again. in the end had to climb over a wall at the other side of the ground and spent the next hour trying to find out where the car was.
  • IMO, this was one of the best games of football we were involved in during our 4 year stint in the old 1st Division. I've still got it on video somewhere at home.

Interesting to see the attendance.

Look back at all other attendances during that era and they were shocking.

I have seen us at Old Trafford with only 35k there.
  • Really good game as I remember, Jones the goal sending us home happy. I think that season we never got out of the bottom 3 until the penultimate week and it all ended with the battle of Stamford Bridge. Never a dull moment in those days for sure.
  • Really good game. We deservedly got a draw and the Jones header was excellent (he got a number of those for us).
  • Jones was a lot better than many gave him credit for in my opinion. His scoring ratio wasn't bad especially when you consider his Charlton career ( apart from a handful of games at the end) was in the top flight.

He never quite lived up to his record fee billing particularly because he replaced Jim Melrose.

Also it was Mark Hughes and Ian Rush who stopped him getting more Welsh Caps. I think subconsciously we expected someone close to their level. But then as now Wales were a peculiar mixture of League One and World class players side by side
  • The other players didn't rate Jones. Met them in a club one night and I asked them why he didn't feature more and they said he wasn't quite good enough. I thought it was harsh but maybe they were looking at his overall contribution rather than just goals.
  • Sponsored links:

Yep, certainly does. Thought we’d blown it near the end despite playing well, so went nuts after our even later equaliser. Fortunately there weren’t too many Forest fans around to notice, very poor turn-out.

I was living in Nottingham at the time so this was like a home match for me. A year or so later I did some accounting work at Forest, which offered some insight into the murky world of the football business in the late 80s, probably its darkest days. This included being called “a little shit” by the great man Clough himself, which I considered a huge honour.
  • Presumably the Jones was Andy?
  • Presumably the Jones was Andy?

Yes mate.
  • Addickted said:

30 years today. Making anyone feel old?

Yes.

Remember getting into Trent Bridge post match on the way back to the car to have a quiet w@nk, then not being able to get out again. in the end had to climb over a wall at the other side of the ground and spent the next hour trying to find out where the car was.
  • I was in a private box at this one, was a bit surreal as they piped the sound of the game in via speakers. I went with a couple of lads from work and we went beserk when we scored, aided and abetted by the free booze and lush spread.....good day out.
  • Simonsen said:

Presumably the Jones was Andy?

Yes mate.
    Thanks
  • Simonsen said:

The other players didn't rate Jones. Met them in a club one night and I asked them why he didn't feature more and they said he wasn't quite good enough. I thought it was harsh but maybe they were looking at his overall contribution rather than just goals.

Plus it would also be fair to say that Jones certainly did not mind a Light Ale - saw him on it a few times myself.
  • Simonsen said:

The other players didn't rate Jones. Met them in a club one night and I asked them why he didn't feature more and they said he wasn't quite good enough. I thought it was harsh but maybe they were looking at his overall contribution rather than just goals.

Plus it would also be fair to say that Jones certainly did not mind a Light Ale - saw him on it a few times myself.
    He was a big lad when playing, I dread to think how much he weighs now.
  • Bought first copy of VOTV on the train from @Airman Brown . Paid with a fiver, he gave me change for a tenner. He walked away and I thought about the extra 4 pints that I'd just fluked (beer was c. £1.20 a pint in 1988). 2 minutes later he came back - got his rightful money, and VOTV was saved from early bankruptcy. In a sense, I nearly stopped us getting back to The Valley.
  • Simonsen said:

Think that is fair comment . I was just saying he did have some qualities .

Perversely his rival for a place in the team Carl Leaburn was the opposite of Jones . Often he would be selected because of his all round game rather than ability to score . Shades of this with Maginnis who I think holds the ball up and does his defensive duties well .