Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dartford top of the league...

WSSWSS
edited January 2008 in Other Football and Sports
Just wanted to say well done to Dartford to getting to the top of the Northern Section of the Ryman league (why northern, silly decision...). Getting crowds of between 850-1,000 for every home game in a great little ground is good for our community and kudos to all the work the council, the club and the supporters have done to get them back home.

Often thought i'd be a Dartford fan rather than a Charlton fan if they did not get turfed out of Watling Street as my dad took me there a few times when we were not at The Valley.

Comments

• Options
    Are they higher or lower than Welling? How many leagues below the Conference are they?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]Are they higher or lower than Welling? How many leagues below the Conference are they?

Ryman Northern - Dartford

Ryman Premier - AFC Wimbledon

Conference South - Welling

Conference Premier - Ebsfleet
  • Options
    Cheers.
    Where are Bromley?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]Cheers.
    Where are Bromley?
    8th in the same league as Welling, who are 5th from bottom.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]Cheers.
    Where are Bromley?
    8th in the same league as Welling, who are 5th from bottom.

Too inconsistant to go up in the play-offs IMHO.

Saw them beat Thurrock 8 - 1 on Boxing Day. They then lost 2-1 to the same side on News Year Day
  • Options
    I knew I'd drag you into this one.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]

Often thought i'd be a Dartford fan rather than a Charlton fan if they did not get turfed out of Watling Street as my dad took me there a few times when we were not at The Valley.

Went to Wembley to see the 1974 Dartford - Morcambe FA Trophy Final, which they lost 2-1 to a late winner.
    I bet Dartford neve dreamed that one day they would play at Wembley.......

I remember as a kid in the late 60's watching Bexley United play Dartford in the old Southern League.
    Dartford always seemed to have the voodoo sign on Bexley Utd - but saw several old fashioned gutsy derby matches both at Watling Street and Park View Road.

John Hewie was the Bexley Utd player-manager & Eddie Werge was right wing.
    Left back was Vic Akers who ended up playing League football for Watford - and now manages the all conquering Arsenal womens team.

Bexley Utd folded in the late 70's and Park View Road was empty for a season or two before park side Welling Utd took it over.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]I knew I'd drag you into this one.

I knew that was why you posted the question but it gave me the excuse to say that I saw them win 8-1.

That's E I G H T
  • Options
    Anybody else remember Dartford or Bexley United in the old Southern League?
  • Options
    Saw a lot of Maidstone around that time as my next door neighbour was Dickie Guy's brother who played in goal for Maidstone.(EX WIMBLEDON G.K. FOR THOSE WHO DONT KNOW SAVED PETER LORIMER PENALTY AT ELLAND ROAD WHEN THE DONS WERE NON-LEAGUE IN A 0-0 DRAW).Always seem to remember the matches were pretty lively against Dartford on the terraces in those days as well.Also saw a few F.A. cup games in the 80's Bournemouth at home I seem to remember that was tasty as well at Watling Street.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My first football match was the 1974 Semi FA Trophy, Dartford v's Macclesfield , if I remember correctly....my second football match was the final....
  • Options
    Wembly '74 - you were there too, Gumpo......?
  • Options
    Just noticed Dartford are at home on the 26th - keep meaning to pop along and now we've got a spare day...
  • Options
    watched Dartford quite a bit as a kid.Remember a certain Paddy Powell 'tearing' down the wing.Saw them draw at home with Bournemouth when they should have won, in the FA Cup, mid 80's, and then get drawn away at Man Utd in the 3rd Round....they lost the replay though and missed out.
  • Options
    One of the stars of non-league football at the time, Paddy Powell played for Barnet before we signed him for £25,000 just after he'd played a blinder for them in an FA Cup match against QPR.

Barnet and Dartford would have played each other every year in the old Southern League, so Paddy would have appeared several times for Barnet at Watling Street.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Anybody else remember Dartford or Bexley United in the old Southern League?

I remember Bexley United when they were called Bexleyheath and Welling.

Got taken there as my first ever live match when I was about 5 (can't remember who they played), probably to test my attention span for going to The Valley.
  • Options
    Could well be Welling v Dartford in the Ryman prem next season.

Your gonna get it West Side !!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]One of the stars of non-league football at the time, Paddy Powell played for Barnet before we signed him for £25,000 just after he'd played a blinder for them in an FA Cup match against QPR.

Barnet and Dartford would have played each other every year in the old Southern League, so Paddy would have appeared several times for Barnet at Watling Street.[/quote]

I'm not the old Oggy :-).....It was Dartford I saw him play for right at the end of his playing days...1984-ish.
  • Options
    Got me there, Sir Johnny H.........!

I didn't realise he played for Dartford after he left the Jills.

As you'll probably realise his Barnet days were early 70's.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Wembly '74 - you were there too, Gumpo......?

Yep, I was there...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw Dartford at Hayes Lane in the FA Cup this season. Good support, poor team.
  • Options
    Poor team but top of the league????

Or just a poor performance on the day?
  • Options
    How many goals have Dartford scored this season?...Hardly a poor team...
  • Options
    Poor compared to Bromley. Didn't show anything at all really.

Remember Bromley are two leagues above them and doing well in the Conference South.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Poor compared to Bromley. Didn't show anything at all really.

Remember Bromley are two leagues above them and doing well in the Conference South.

That would be it then :-)......I didn't realise Bromley were so high..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Gump[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Poor compared to Bromley. Didn't show anything at all really.

That would be it then :-)......I didn't realise Bromley were so high..

Bromley will always be higher than Dartford in so many ways : - )
  • Options
    You can't beat the Pound Shops in Dartford High Street...

I was born and bred in Dartford....it pains me to see it in such decline..
  • Options
    Ditto Gump but you can blame Bluewater for that.
  • Options
    Another 2-0 win away from home this weekend to put The Darts 4 points clear.

Home match this weekend against Arlesey Town, may make the walk up the road to see this one seeing as we're not playing.
  • Options
    I'm going along on Saturday