Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Site Speed and Stabilty Update

edited January 2008 in Troubleshooting
Hear ye, hear ye! There's been some site maintenance taken place over night, all in aid of sorting out our recent speed and stability issues. This is just an initial step, so please continue to bear with us. Things may be better, or worse, or exactly the same; it's difficult to say how the server will perform for you once the site fills up. I have my fingers crossed. Theoretically, it should be better. Nevertheless, we have laid the foundations for solving our issues and we will be there soon.

Comments

• What do we want? SPELL CHECKER
    When do we want it? NOW

; - )
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]What do we want? BOTTLED BEER
    When do we want it? MONTHS AGO

; - )

;-)
  • Spell checker works with Firefox - It highlights dodgy spellings in red. No alternatives are offered but its a start. (I think you have to have downloaded the right Firefox module).
  • Don't want to tempt fate Lookie, but all has been good for the hour or so I've been on for this morning....
  • The site just dropped me, Looky - and I lost my post.

The page came up with fatal error.

The error occurred on or near: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: User lookhere_lookout already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections.

Did we exceed capacity with too many users on at once?
  • Oops, sorry LoOky......meant to be a whisper, Duh!
  • Not so much too many users, but too many users accessing the database at once. One of the major problems we're having is that this message board software really hammers the database that runs it. That's because for every user a record is kept of what they've read and what they haven't. If they've got unread whispers etc. There's a lot of load on the system.

I think we're close to sorting it out though, that's the good news.
  • what's the bad news?
  • [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]What do we want? BOTTLED BEER
    When do we want it? MONTHS AGO

; - )

;-)

Go and speak to Razil. He said he really likes the bottled beer that's on sale now and has only kind things to say about the quality and price. : -)
  • [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]Not so much too many users, but too many users accessing the database at once. One of the major problems we're having is that this message board software really hammers the database that runs it. That's because for every user a record is kept of what they've read and what they haven't. If they've got unread whispers etc. There's a lot of load on the system.

I think we're close to sorting it out though, that's the good news.

Seem much improved at the moment.

Perhaps you'd be better off enabling the multi threaded server on your database :-)

Geek Joke!
  • Sponsored links:

• Can Spectrums handle multi threading Alex?
  • After yesterday when I couldn't get into the forum most of the day, the site has been running really well and pages have been loading fast tonight. Fingers crossed then Lookie?
  • Surely moving over to vBulletin would solve all the problems :)
  • The site fell over for me around 5pm to 6pm GMT today but this evening has been fine. No probs at all and loading properly.

Cheers for all your efforts, LoOky!
  • LoOky/AFKA,

I know this has been raised before, but is this an issue that we can all assist with? i.e. subscriptions or donations to pay for more server space??

This is a great community and it's bloomin' frustrating when it's down - so bad I've even dabbled with Addickted - Sorry Dan ;)

You've both poured a hell of a lot into this site, so can we all help out in some form?
  • Thanks Dave. We'll raise this again soon, but my main effort is to get stable and cruising again.