Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was. Tue 9th January 1979. Charlton 1 Maidstone 1

edited January 2008 in General Charlton
Tuesday 9th January 1979 Chalrton Athletic 1 (0) (Flanagan 77) Maidstone United 1 (1) (Coupland 13) The Valley. Att 13,457.

Charlton: Wood, Shaw, Campbell, Gritt (Peacock 61), Shipperley, Berry, Brisley, Hales, Flanagan, Madden, Powell.

Maidstone: Guy, Kinnear, Edwards, Hill, Aitken, Merrick, Silvester, Gregory, Coupland, Fusco, Budden. Unused sub: Wallace.

Referee: B Martin (Notts)

Sent Off: In circumstances certainly unprecedented in Charlton's history, Flanagan and Hales were sent off for fighting each other in the 86th minute.
The two players had words after Hales had been caught offside and as they walked back to the centre cirlcle, they continued to argue and Hales suddenly lashed out a couple of times at Flanagan who replied with a punch. These events were all witnessed by the referee, who, after consulting his linesman, sent both players off.
Three days after the game, Chalrton sacked Hales and fined Flanagan £250. Hales was later reinstated and fined two weeks wages. Later that month, Flanagan walked out over the handling of his transfer.

Replay:

Monday 15th January January 1979. Maidstone United 1 (0) (Coupland 87) Charlton Athletic 2 (1) (Campbell 23, Robinson 53) The Athletic Ground. Att: 10,591

Charlton: Johns, Shaw, Campbell, Gritt, Shipperley, Berry, Brisley, Peacock, Robinson, Madden, Powell. Unused sub: Warman.

Lights failure: With only 70 seconds remaining the floodlights went out and the game was suspended for 19 minutes.

Record crowd: The attendance was a record for Maidstone, but many more climbed fences to gain entry.

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2008
    I remember the game. It was absolutely dire. We were playing badly, were losing and the crowd was behaving like Charlton had a team made up of Kishishev and McLeod's families!!

They had scored early through Coupland (who if I remember rightly was a school teacher at Ramsden school and a mate of Lennie Lawrence)

I had a really bad feeling that they were going to dump us out and the ignominy of that. We didn't look like we were going to score and the game was moving closer and closer towards the end when Flash scored our equaliser.

This stirred the crowd but the play didn't improve. Suddenly there was mayhem as Killer and Flash squared up to one another and punches were thrown. I think Killer threw the first and Flash retaliated. In stepped the ref and off they both went.

A kind of hush decended on the crowd, borne out of disbelief. I remember thinking "blow the f*king whistle Ref and put us out of our misery". We didn't have long to wait.

It was a surreal end to a bad dream. One to tell your kids about although not for the right reasons.

The next day the papers were full of it.

The club/Nelson made a statement and announced that Killer would never play for us again yet retained his registration; this led to the club being held in restraint of trade and thus Killer was later reinstated. Flash was to be fined. It was an unholy mess.

I didn't go to the replay. I didn't think I could stand it if we lost.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    What a great memory. All part of the Charlton Folklore. I dont know why not many people believe me but I told my brother about 15 minutes before it happened that Hales and Flanagan would have a fight and he told me not to be stupid. Heard some great stories from Charlie Hall who was a family friend and had them corroborated by others that what went on inside afterwards was quite scary.
  • Options
    The story I heard was that this was the culmination of a long simmering row - Flanagan felt that Hales didn't put the effort in, turned up late for training etc and grabbed the attention while he was putting the graft in, when it came to the match someone said something and it boiled over.

I seem to remember they kissed and made up at the first game back at the Valley, there were those of us who wondered what would happen...
  • Options
    Went to both games, obviously the away game was only down the road for me.

I stood in the covered end just to the left of the goal in our normal spot and about five minutes before kick-off a couple of dozen familiar faces from Maidstone strutted across towards 'the right side'. A minute or two later was a bit of dancing and prancing that was about it as I recall.

I'd have never lived it down had we lost.

At the replay there was quite a bit of agro when the lights went off. Never realised it was for that long though. We all swore blind that they'd done it on purpose to get the game replayed again and I vowed to go down there one evening and dig the pitch up it they got it abandoned.

Kenny Hill who played in both games is now quite a good mate.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite] Heard some great stories from Charlie Hall who was a family friend and had them collaborated by others that what went on inside afterwards was quite scary.

So come on then, you tease, what happened? Whisper it if its too scandalous to publish.
  • Options
    They had Halesy on Talksport yesterday afternoon talking about this in light of the Arsenal spat.
  • Options
    Went to both games.....Maidstone were my second team in those days...I used to go and watch them quite regularly...used to get some useful crowds too.....There was quite a few punch ups at both games.....it actually kicked off around me on the East Terrace.....and again just before the match at Maidstone and plenty after....that was probably more exciting than either game to be honest...was rather packed down at Maidstone...remember kids jumping over the fences and getting chased by the OB
  • Options
    Coupland left Ramsden which is now called Priory a few years ago,dealt with him quite a lot in business.
  • Options
    Flanagan was guest at a CASC Essex Branch meeting a while back and claimed that whilst they are not exactly close friends, he and Hales get on OK now.

I remember it all well, particularly the replay at Maidstone. There was a train strike kicking in from later that night and because of the floodlight failure only just made it back to London in time for the last train back to Basildon. It was all pretty hostile at the game, and I remember it being pretty crushed in the ground. Greenwich Council would have had a great time with their health and safety rules.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Tel-in-Oz[/cite]Went to both games.....Maidstone were my second team in those days...I used to go and watch them quite regularly...used to get some useful crowds too.....There was quite a few punch ups at both games.....it actually kicked off around me on the East Terrace.....and again just before the match at Maidstone and plenty after....that was probably more exciting than either game to be honest...was rather packed down at Maidstone...remember kids jumping over the fences and getting chased by the OB

Tel, I don't remember the punch ups at the Valley to be honest. On the other hand they used to happen pretty regularly at that time and I wasn't caught up in it so it probably just hasn't registered in my memory.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I had my then Fiance with me at the game so we stood on the East Terrace. It kicked off right up in the top corner by the Bartram entrance, and again in Floyd Road. Bing...shudder the thought that you would get caught up in such an act mate....
    :-) (for the record...I didnt either).
  • Options
    Just a crazy night at the Valley, wasn't it?

We were all amazed that it had actually came to blows and players from both sides tried to pull them apart.

The referee didn't seem to know what to do at first, he was just as bewildered as everybody else.
    After an age discussing with his linesman, he pointed to the dressing room and even though both players went separately, they were still shouting at each other across the pitch - so God only knows what happened in the dressing room....

Brunello, mate, spill the beans - after nearly 30 years I don't suppose it will matter?
  • Options
    Remember it like it was yesterday and the replay when the lights went out, even though I was only 12 at the time. The sending off was a surreal can only happen to Charlton moment.

I remember I sided with Flanagan initially but changed my mind after. It was an extraordinary bit of man management to get them two playing together again.

Come on Brunello.... Dish it.
  • Options
    Not quite a Northwich disaster.
  • Options
    and another
  • Options
    lol ... what a memory ... went to both games and these are the type of incidents you don't forget.

Tel ... don't recall the trouble at the Valley ... although I was in the Covered End --- where you should have been! Spending time with a girlfriend at Charlton ... whatever next!!!
  • Options
    I was there standing on the Large Slope and remember looking on in amazement as Hales and Flanagan traded Blows ...and so surreal when the Ref sent them off

Still remember the Maidstone players Chuckling and standing there as they did not have a clue what to do--

They had to be one of the best Frontline partnership CAFC have had
  • Options
    Two Chelmsford players had a bit of a barney last night at Bromley, despite being 3-0 up.

My mind immediately went to this and so I was calling for them both to be sent off. But they just got a talking to! Inconsistence plagues referees!
  • Options
    Remember both games quite well. Same thoughts as everyone else for the home game, total shock at what happened but also total relief that we hadn`t lost to them on the night at the Valley.

The replay was a lot better though, we went down on a Lewis coach and there were loads just jumping over these really low walls to get in. The Charlton section was packed solid, couldn`t move in there and I can remember the goals and then the lights going out and the fences that separated us from Maidstone got ripped down during the blackout.

As someone said earlier, just par for the course in the life of Charlton Athletic.
  • Options
    Mancini could never have lived with Killer and Flash could he?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ah, those were the days, Charlton players showing some fighting spirit on the pitch and at home. :-)
  • Options
    I missed the fight completely as I'd gone to the loo. After the game me and a mate were walking up Cemetery Lane, we were only 15 at the time, a mark 3 Cortina, full of blokes pulled up next to us, one of them shouted "you"re gonna f---ing get it Charlton", we legged it but knew they would catch us in the car, somehow we managed to climb over the cemetery wall, one of them even climbed over and tried to find us. I laugh about it now, at the time I really thought we were going to get filled in.
  • Options
    Remember it well, it put Charlton all over the back pages , for all the wrong reasons!
  • Options
    No squad rotation in those days, a full strength team to play non league Maidstone at home...not that it did us much good.

All I remember were the endless stories about the fight in the Kentish Times afterwards!
  • Options
    Remember both matches, was gutted that the 4th round match away to Bristol Rovers was called off as we were going to go down there (in my brother-in-laws car) but it was called off and re-arranged for a midweek game so missed out on that one, seem to remember losing that one 1-0.
  • Options
    Went to the rearranged 4th round match. Freezing cold night lost 1-0 as you say. Walked back to Bexleyheath from Valley (went by coach), got in at 2am and then up for school next morning!

Thought was going to die in the Maidstone replay after our second goal. Massive surge and everyone fell on top of each other. I reckon I had 3 people on top of me and I was face down on the terracing. Thought nothing about it at the time as was milking the goal, but if it happened now post Hillsborough, would be panicking big time.
  • Options
    ..........think that 1979 was probably my first year supporting the club (would have been 13 at the time). Remember the incident like it was yesterday, even though I don't recall ever seeing any video footage of the incident since it happened. I was down the front about a 3rd inside our half, stand up against the railings. I recall that the large fence was up in those days stopping you getting onto the pitch.

Memories! Sigh.................................
  • Options
    Maidstone (my local team) on a return to the good times now!!
    Over 2,500 on NYD against Sittingbourne is an incredible crowd for that level of football.
    All it needed was a ground back in the town! A disgrace that it took this long!!
  • Options
    I was there, with my grandad - he couldn't stop laughing. The most surreal thing was seeing the opposition trying to pull them apart!
  • Options
    Remember the floodlights going out at the replay for about 10 minutes or so!