Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pards plans busy month

edited January 2008 in General Charlton
taken off OS:

Alan Pardew has described the concept of transfer windows as a 'restriction of trade' - but ruled out marching on Brussels to change the system.

The Addicks boss told the media on Thursday that he intended to be 'busy' in the transfer market this month, but refused to elaborate on the players, clubs or even positions involved.

"I think my record in transfer windows speaks for itself," he said. "I'm pretty busy in most windows, and I probably will be this time as well.

"I've made a lot of phone calls because we still need to improve, and there may be little changes here and there that will do us a world of good.

"We've looked at the first part of the season and we're looking a little bit short, so we'll try and change it around a bit if we can."

He added: "We've spoken to a number of clubs that I'm obviously not going to give details of, covering about three different positions which I'm not going to elaborate on."

On the subject of the transfer window itself, Pardew was outspoken, describing them as 'illegal'.

"Basically, I think it's a restriction of trade, it's illegal in my eyes," said Alan.

"Is it the only business in the European Union where you can't move to a new job? I think it is because I can't think of any other trade, and I find it bizarre.

"I don't know how it stands up. Players must be the only employees that are unable to move to another job. I think players should be able to move subject to their employers coming to an agreement on that move, but these are the rules that are set down and I have no problem working within them."

When asked by a cheeky reporter if he would lead a march of managers to Brussels to get the law changed, Pardew responded in kind.

"I've not got that big a bee in my bonnet about it," he said. "I've got bigger things to worry about such as safer streets and that our kids are being brought up right - I would definitely march on those issues, but not transfer windows."

One player who will not be recruited during January is right-back Danny Mills, whose loan spell at the club ended just before the end of the year and joined Derby County for the rest of the season on Friday.

The Manchester City defender was unable to feature in the last two matches of the year due to suspension, so his last act in a Charlton shirt looks to have been receiving a red card against Hull City for foul and abusive language.

"In his time here he played well for us and we're missing him in and around the place a little bit," said Pardew.

"But I have to reflect on all that went on and there were a few times that he went close to the wire, as we know, before he got sent off.

"I can't afford that situation anymore, plus I've got Yassin Moutaouakil, and maybe it's time for him to come into the team."

Frenchman Moutaouakil started for the Addicks in Saturday's 1-1 draw against West Bromwich Albion, and Pardew said the summer signing deserved the opportunity to make the right-back berth his own.

"After Yassin got injured at Stoke, Danny came in and did well, then Yassin got injured again so he's only really just come back," explained Alan.

"He didn't see a lot of football when Mills was here, which was a shame, because he could have put pressure on Danny.

"Yassin brings us thrust. Any team that wants to win at home needs thrust, and we've lacked a bit of that.

"Mills and Chris Powell, with all due respect to them, are very good defenders but are quite staid in their defensive approach, and Yassin is a little bit the other way. That would be an asset to us, and can put the opposition on the back foot."