Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New level of interest

edited November 2006 in General Charlton
I think most people have noticed a renewed/reinvigorated interest in Charlton this season.

I know a number of long-term/very long-term fans who have been energised this season having settled in to something of a malaise in recent years.

More seem to be interested in travelling away again and most seem to be optimistic about the future in the face of our current plight and this seems to be reflected in the views on this board.

I know the Dowie appointment was met with a wide spectrum of views - from those who didn't want him because of his Palarse connection or because they weren't convinced of his tactical acumen - to those who thought he would be a breath of fresh air - and in the middle (probably the majority) those who were prepared to trust the Board and wait and see.

Another paradoxical aspect of our league position is the increased coverage we are getting in the media. After years of being ignored we are now much higher profile - with our adversity attracting interest. For example, have we ever had fans interviewed for TV before this season? There is endless speculation about Dowie's position on both TV and in the papers, when for many years you had to search to find a couple of inches of coverage tucked away at the bottom of a page or we were the last club mentioned on the football shows - if mentioned at all.

Is the current wave of renewed interest by fans as a result of bonding in the face of adversity or is it the tactics and style of play employed by Dowie - or is it something else?

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    You make some good observations there and inanswer to your question at the end .... both.

If we come through this period of aversity then I think we will be stronger as a club and as a team. We needed to be shaken out of our boring mid-table malaise.
  • Options
    For me personally I always used to go to Charlton on my Own, never with anyone else, might sound sad but true. I sat with the plastics in the North West, did not sing much as was told to siddarn & be quite when I did. I Asked for this years Season Ticket in North Upper have made some nice aquiantances/friends through Netaddicks/Charlton Life & where I sit is more vocal / more passionate. I now enjoy my matchday experience far more & I am enjoying the football more post Curbs, have made a more of an effort this year going away because of this.
  • Options
    Spinner - as you say the likely answer to my question is a mixture of both plus a few other factors as well.

Ketman - moving position is one obvious way to get a new experience and make new acquaintances but I was thinking more about the general feeling of togetherness that seems to be being generated recently - somewhat akin to the Back to the Valley days of yore.
  • Options
    great interview from the fans thos wasnt it? -:)

I think its both. When you're down you need everyone to get up! and i think fans are actually enjoying the football on display - apart from last weeks. I know last season i snored my way through most games but am really enjoying these... that arsenal game being the best for me so far.

Im going to wigan next week, wouldnt have considered it at all if i hadnt been enjoying it but also feel that the team need better away support than they got last year.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Like most, watching Charlton became a chore, and a very bad one at that. I've always travelled to away matches but the thought of sitting/standing through 90 mins of sheer boredom followed by x number of hours driving on a boring motorway led to my decision over the past two seasons that sitting in my armchair staring at the walls became more attractive. I will now be heading to Reading and have also been to Fulham this season - not a lot of away games I grant you - but it will be one more than last season. I just want the players to show some passion when playing for charlton, well just 90 minutes worth. If we are not good enough after that, then so be it. This season, there is a strong hint of that togetherness......that is why its now being reflected in our support.....Up the Addicks!