Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fixed speed cameras

edited December 2007 in Not Sports Related
If you get a double flash does that mean the camera was loaded?

At what speed can you get an automatic ban

Any tricks to contest?

Never had a point on my licence to date guess it was a matter of time if it gets processed

Comments

• There are loads of myths of how to get out of fines mate but come on, give us all of the gossip...

One of the myths (or is it??):

-You can send a the cheque in the past for the wrong amount (i.e. £1 over) then they will send you money back and if you don't cash it then nothing happens
  • you will probably get offered the opportunity to go on speed awareness course and not get the points if this is first offence.
  • every camera takes a double flash as it takes 2 pictures of your movement to work out the speed you are doing

you might get lucky though - a hell of a lot of gatso's have no film, yet they will still flash all day long
  • If your are sure that its not a driver recognition camara, ask for a photo, as you were sharing the driving with Partner/wife/brother/sister/mate, delete as appropriate, as you were feeling ill that day, and cannot be sure who was driving at that point, make sure the driver is fully briefed on your car!! as I know of someone who ended up with a nick for no insurance as well as a speeding ticket after taking the blame for a mate. and remember it is classed as perverting the course of justice.
  • edited December 2007
    If its your first offence take it on the chin. If its your 12 pointer get a letter from your employer stating how valuable you are to them and how losing your licence could result in you losing your job and others rely on you for employment so tney would need to be laid off, you should then avoid a ban .. I did
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]If its your first offence take it on the chin. If its your 12 pointer get a letter from your employer stating how valuable you are to them and how losing your licence could result in you losing your job and others rely on you for employment so tney would need to be laid off, you should then avoid a ban .. I did
    Alternatively, say you're an MP, police officer, footballer, alex ferguson as all these people seem to get away with it. it's a joke
  • sorry, TCE, even this trick has been rumbled. Now the onus is on the OWNER of the vehicle, if you cant say who was driving YOUR car, then YOU are landed with the fine.

Funny......I thought we were living in a democracy !

I am fairly clued up on this having had 12 points on my licence and not getting banned due to "undue financial hardship", ie, as I need my car for work, banning me would mean that I could be out of work and depriving a family of their income. I drive around 25,000 miles per year, mainly around s/e london/kent and essex where there are hundreds of cameras.

I'm not sure what Latimer is concerned about - if you having got any points on your licence 3 ain't going to do much harm. An automatic ban comes in at 100 mph on a motorway, not sure what is is on A roads. All mine have been for doing 40 in a 30mph zone or 50 in a 40mph zone.
  • I think there is a harsher catagory when someone is caught exceeding the speed limit by more than 50%

As golf says- if it's your first 3 points, take it on the chin, but make sure you advise your insurance company, or better still broker, on renewal.
  • 30 over the limit gets you a banwhatever the limit.

I've never heard of what Ledge said, I'd have done one of those years ago if it got me off 3 points. No-one has ever proved to me any of the myths I've heard anyway so take it on the chin old bean
  • edited December 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite] I've never heard of what Ledge said, I'd have done one of those years ago if it got me off 3 points. No-one has ever proved to me any of the myths I've heard anyway so take it on the chin old bean

Common practice now Carter, been gradually brought in recently by local police authorities- I got 3 points for dong 35 in a 30 on the 28th June 2002 in the brighton area who introduced the "speed awareness course" for offences after on or after 1/7/2002 :-(
  • Sponsored links:

• There's a fixed speed camera on London Road not far from where I live. If you approach it from the opposite direction near the middle of the road at a decent speed you can always make it flash, which is a good laugh when someone is doing 29 mph in the other direction and they shite themselves.

In answer to your problem Lats, an angle grinder within a day or two of the flash has been known to ease anxiety.

ps. Hows the M11/A14 for roadworks as coming up on Saturday to stop at my sisters in Twyford in conjuction with the game?
  • edited December 2007
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]sorry, TCE, even this trick has been rumbled. Now the onus is on the OWNER of the vehicle, if you cant say who was driving YOUR car, then YOU are landed with the fine.

I am fairly clued up on this having had 12 points on my licence and not getting banned due to "undue financial hardship", ie, as I need my car for work, banning me would mean that I could be out of work and depriving a family of their income. I drive around 25,000 miles per year, mainly around s/e london/kent and essex where there are hundreds of cameras.

I'm not sure what Latimer is concerned about - if you having got any points on your licence 3 ain't going to do much harm. An automatic ban comes in at 100 mph on a motorway, not sure what is is on A roads. All mine have been for doing 40 in a 30mph zone or 50 in a 40mph zone.

If you and your family were/are that reliant on your income then what on earth were you doing consistantly breaking the law in the first place then?

Am not saying this just because it's you - have a look back and you will see that I am consistant on this issue - but if you speed and speed often then you shouldn't be on the road. Maybe if your family actually suffered because of your stupidity you might see the error of your ways and realise that it's NOT "all right" - not that it's their fault you are irresponsible.
  • edited December 2007
    what made me laugh when i got my 4 points for doing 43mph on tower bridge at 11pm on a sunday night - it's 20mph - was they said I saved £40 by pleading guilty,wow like I care about that, it's the points/insurance that causes the financial problem for 3 years not the measly £140 fine...

I did hear you could fill in the form and not sign it, but that's probably an old wives tale.
  • edited December 2007
  • edited December 2007
    Lats, this site might help you.
    UKspeedtraps
  • Also this

Re the info, not an endorsement of the service
  • [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]30 over the limit gets you a banwhatever the limit.

I've never heard of what Ledge said, I'd have done one of those years ago if it got me off 3 points. No-one has ever proved to me any of the myths I've heard anyway so take it on the chin old bean

my sis in law just got offered one and a mate as well as opposed to getting 3 points because it was a first offence.

you pay for the 1 day course get no points and no fine - honest guv it happens and don't think it has been about that long
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]sorry, TCE, even this trick has been rumbled. Now the onus is on the OWNER of the vehicle, if you cant say who was driving YOUR car, then YOU are landed with the fine.

If you and your family were/are that reliant on your income then what on earth were you doing consistantly breaking the law in the first place then?

Am not saying this just because it's you - have a look back and you will see that I am consistant on this issue - but if you speed and speed often then you shouldn't be on the road. Maybe if your family actually suffered because of your stupidity you might see the error of your ways and realise that it's NOT "all right" - not that it's their fault you are irresponsible.

hear hear off it
  • The ID trick DOES still work - as long as you admit to the offence.

"Honestly Officer, both my wife and I drove up and down that road at least 10 times that day, helping a friend move and we don't really know which one of us was driving at the time of the offence".

Burden of proof is then in the enforcing authorities hand.

Either that or register the car in the name of someone who lives abroad - The Algarve is where I use ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]Either that or register the car in the name of someone who lives abroad - The Algarve is where I use ;-)
    Here you go Algarveaddick, a nice little sideline :)
  • On this subject, was on the a2 near Bexleyheath, i came on the a2 on the turn in just before the gravel hill turn in, going towards Dartford.

Think i was doing about 55, didn't see the camera flash, although i could easily have missed it.

Anyone know how long the letters take to arrive to your door?
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Latimer[/cite]If you get a double flash does that mean the camera was loaded?

Any tricks to contest?

Never had a point on my licence to date guess it was a matter of time if it gets processed

So come on Lats, what was the damage?
  • edited May 2008
    Just read on the Directgov website apparently it takes up to 14 days to come through the post.

Hopefully i was lucky, if not, my dad won't be a happy bunny lol
  • Also anyone else seen that new camera half way down Gravel Hill?

Was driving up the hill on the other side and saw two people flashed.

Cameras are being placed in loads of places now.
  • [cite]Posted By: Bexleyheath_Red[/cite]Also anyone else seen that new camera half way down Gravel Hill?

Was driving up the hill on the other side and saw two people flashed.

Cameras are being placed in loads of places now.

Yeah got flashed by it the other day , well sneaky that one
  • edited May 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Latimer[/cite]If you get a double flash does that mean the camera was loaded?

Any tricks to contest?

No such thing as an automatic ban as such as you can claim financial hardship and the court may use its discretion and simply add points and a fine. That said the rule of thumb is 30 miles over the limit, when they will consider a ban.

Financial hardship is discretionary, so if you plead it, thye may just say tough you should have thought about that before comitting the offence. Once you have been allowed to continue retain your licence they will give a period of time during which you will not be allowed to plead hardship again, mine was 4 years. I received 6 points and £500 fine.;
  • [cite]Posted By: Bexleyheath_Red[/cite]On this subject, was on the a2 near Bexleyheath, i came on the a2 on the turn in just before the gravel hill turn in, going towards Dartford.

Think i was doing about 55, didn't see the camera flash, although i could easily have missed it.

Anyone know how long the letters take to arrive to your door?

55 should be ok, the limit is 50 mph, your speedo is calibarated to +/- 10% and usually reads over you actual speed. If you have a sat nav, compare the speed on that to your speedo.
  • Sat Nav i wish, can barely afford petrol with the prices keep increasing.

Apparently all these new digital cameras don't flash, is that true?

Either way i'll just have to wait and see if the letter comes.
  • I got three bastard points on my license for doing 56 in a 50 - on a dual carriageway, at 2:45 in the morning, with no-one within five miles. Stupidly, it was in Northamptonshire (where they have refined collecting revenue from traffic fines to such an art that they now collect fines issued by constabularies all over the country) so I should have known better. What drives me nuts about it is that there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for there to be a speed limit on the road concerned (it's a totally rural area, with - as far as I can make out - no history of accidents) and the camera was hidden away and didn't flash (God knows how they got the picture, it was pitch bloody dark). Simply designed to extract money from you - not in the slightest bit implemented to prevent accidents.

I've never so much as come close to getting any other fines.
  • i think it was the RAC looked at the stats off the 600 accident blackspots against the 600 highest earning speed traps one one matched. They pointed this out but not one has been moved.
  • Watch yourself in Cambridgeshire on the A 14. Average speed jobs for miles!