Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Norwich Game - Just got back

edited December 2007 in General Charlton
took me longer to walk to my car than to get home gloat, gloat!!:-)

A battling point is how I would sum it up.

The game started with McCarthy and Sodje in central with Magic playing right back. The game was fairly even when we scored. Big Chris headed one straight at their keeper and Thomas had a good run ending with a weak shot. The goal was well taken by ZZ. Sodje's tackle looked pretty much the two footed variety that they are clamping down on. I didn't see whether he won the ball but he certainly lunged in and the Ref reaction was pretty instantaneous. Sodje knew he was going off and was walking when the Red Card was shown.

After that we reorganised with Semedo moving to Right Back, so we played a 4-4-1 formation. For the rest of the first half Norwich pressed and forced a few corners plus a number of shots which were off target. Our main threat came from surging runs from Thomas. Unfortunately as is often the case, his final delivery was poor.

The second half started with McLeod on for Big Chris. I assume this was tactical because Pards was hoping he could stretch them with his pace and also get them to defend deeper. It worked to start with but McLeod just couldn't find the right touch or run to really cause them trouble and we spent to much time with aimless balls forward trying to find him. Norwich kept at us and we defended resolutely. It just seemed a matter of time before they would get a break and sure enough it came from yet another corner.

The last ten minutes was pretty nervy but we held out. We created very little going forward. There was one shot which just missed the upright but little else I can remember.

Overall a well fought point but very little fluency in our play.

As for the team

Weaver- Played well, made some good saves and punches/takes - 7
Magic - I thought he had a good game, both at RB then in the centre - 8
Sodje - Stupid challenge - 4
McCarthy - Played well, won a lot in the air, no carthorse type play - 8
Sir Chris - Tried hard, kept going, not enough in the tank - 6
Semedo - I really like this lad - excellent in midfield - filled in very well at RB - 8
ZZ - Took goal well, tried as ever to influence the game - gave the ball away too much for my liking - 7
Holland - Excellent, captains performance. Hard working plus some deft touches - 9
Thomas - Threat to them all game, just wish he could find the killer pass or shot - 8
Varney - One or two good runs but didn't hold the ball well when played into his feet - 6
Big Chris - Missed one good chance, battled well as usual. Subbed at half-time - 6

Subs

Mcleod - unable to make much impact and subbed before the end of the game - 5
Sam and Racon - not on long enough

Comments

• cheers Bing, good write up. Well be interesting to see if others agree / disagree
  • Didn't get a proper view of Sodje's tackle (ho ho) but the ref chose to ignore a few of Norwich's more agricultural tactics. Under the circumstances, it was an excellent, battling point, but Varney was clearly not up to form and McLeod was wretched in the second half. Agree with bingaddick on Semedo's skills, and Weaver kept us in it.
  • Norwich dominated before Sodje got sent off. Look a different side to the one at the Valley when we won 2-0.
    Semendo was my man of the match. Varney playing out of position does not look interested. Big Chris played with a knock. Shame McLoud subbed off. He wasn't doing great, but he's low on cofidence, and subbing a sub is not going to help him.
    McCarthy defended well. Weaver did some great shot stopping, but looked edgy on crosses. Well earnt 1 point.
    Full stadium, but away support not very vocal.

Mo2kill for Leicester please pards. and a defender on the bench. today's bench: racon, sam, mcloud, dicko.
  • Got back about 30 minutes ago,fair description from bing, was a very nervy last 10 minutes, we really need to sort out our disciplnary record.
  • [cite]Posted By: rufusisadogsname[/cite]Varney playing out of position does not look interested.

I heard he had been pretty ill last week, probably took a lot out of him. Manager shouldn't be playinghim though if he is not fully up to it.
  • Why recall dickson and put him on the bench,varney didn't have any energy today.
  • Pards reckoning before the match with the chosen team selection, was probably he didn't need a defender on the bench.

Bougherra & Semedo could be switched around - and with Sodje off, that's exactly what Pards did.
    If he'd had to sub Powell, then Semedo covers & Holland moves to right back, as against Hull.

If he'd lost another centre back, then Semedo would have covered.
    And if he lost Semedo.......

.......then he had Racon on the bench.
    See, Pards grew up under the master tutelage of Curbs. ;o)
  • edited December 2007
    Fair summing up. Only thing I would disagree on would be Hollands mark 9 out of 10????????????

It should have been 10 out of 10. What a performance, he won every tackle, every 50/50, covered every inch of grass, never lost the ball, passed it one of ours every time, made blocks and organised everything like a true captain. Then he led the team over to the away fans afterwards.
  • Yep, can't disagree with Bing's summary. I thought Semedo was running the show in midfield until Sodje got sent off. I'm not a big fan of Holland but have to say, i think he had his best game in the shirt yesterday. It was a good point under the circumstances but also a frustrating point as I'm certain we would have gone on to win if Sodje hadn't been sent off.
  • why on earth was Sodje coming out into midfield territory.
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]why on earth was Sodje coming out into midfield territory.[/quote]

????? He was about a yard outside the penalty box
  • Not from the tv footage i will check again.
  • He was when he started the tackle!!!!!
  • McLeod was subbed as a sub?

The ultiamte humilation for any player
  • Fairly good assessment, but I do question Pardew subbing McLeod. Varney had been suffering with cramp for some time and was much less effective than Mcleod when McLeod was substituted. Holland was great today, and I agree that losing Semedo from midfield cost us dear, he looked quality for 30 mins. Thomas was the main threat for us and he found 3 men on him most of the game.
    The 1st 20 mins saw us on the back foot a lot, but after the goal we looked totally in control until the sending off. After that just a hard worked point.
  • agree with most of what's been said. Holland was outstanding and Paddy and Boogie were pretty solid. Semedo is an unbelievable footballer. Looks comfortable in any position. He came as a centre half but hasn't played there yet.

I wasn't surprised McLeod was subbed. He was lazy and didn't look up for it. Perhaps he was uncomfortable playing against his new employers (if rumours are correct).
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    I wasn't surprised McLeod was subbed. He was lazy and didn't look up for it. Perhaps he was uncomfortable playing against his new employers (if rumours are correct).

we can but dream!!
  • Tsk, McLeod may come good
  • [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]Fair summing up. Only thing I would disagree on would be Hollands mark 9 out of 10????????????

It should have been 10 out of 10. What a performance, he won every tackle, every 50/50, covered every inch of grass, never lost the ball, passed it one of ours every time, made blocks and organised everything like a true captain. Then he led the team over to the away fans afterwards.

He did get my highest mark!! You have to reserve a 10 for something extra special imho!
  • I stayed up there with family and was reading their local paper this morning and it was saying how robbed they were!! As for the game and performances it has already been summed up on this thread but I would like to add a couple of points, firstly why the f**K were the Naaarwich fans singing your not fit to referee after the sending off? he gave them a free kick and also sent the player off what else could he have done? plus how funny was it when everyone stopped because we should of had a free kick but he was waving play on!
    Secondly good old valley gold! great in numbers there but very quiet, bet we'll have half that amount at Leicester but will be much more noisey.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Al the Addick[/cite]I stayed up there with family and was reading their local paper this morning and it was saying how robbed they were!! As for the game and performances it has already been summed up on this thread but I would like to add a couple of points, firstly why the f**K were the Naaarwich fans singing your not fit to referee after the sending off? he gave them a free kick and also sent the player off what else could he have done? plus how funny was it when everyone stopped because we should of had a free kick but he was waving play on!
    Secondly good old valley gold! great in numbers there but very quiet, bet we'll have half that amount at Leicester but will be much more noisey.

I think we were quiet but I put that as much down to

1. boxing day hangovers
    2. the sort of game it was after the sending off. It was nervy and backs to the wall and that rubbed off on the fans

than any surfeit of Valley Golders
  • edited December 2007
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]

I think we were quiet

our away support not being as passionate as most teams' maybe??