Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Out Muscled

I'm getting sick of hearing the above term. Anybody would think we are a team of midgets!
The only way we seem able to compete is if we stick 5 in the midfield. This is fine to grind out a 1-0 away from home, but at home you need to be getting at the opposition and get the crowd going at the same time.
We either need to get a Parker/Sidwell type in the midfield or a big strong mobile player (Magic for example) that allows us to play 442 at home and not be out muscled by the oppo.

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]I'm getting sick of hearing the above term. Anybody would think we are a team of midgets!
    The only way we seem able to compete is if we stick 5 in the midfield. This is fine to grind out a 1-0 away from home, but at home you need to be getting at the opposition and get the crowd going at the same time.
    We either need to get a Parker/Sidwell type in the midfield or a big strong mobile player (Magic for example) that allows us to play 442 at home and not be out muscled by the oppo.

Unfortunately other teams are bigger than us and more robust physically.

We continually make the mistake of trying to compete physically (where the oppo will nearly always win) rather than play our football.

Yesterday was a case in point. We looked like Wimbledon in the 80s at times.
  • Options
    its not a problem if you outplay teams, but we're not doing that at the moment.

Physical teams will always be outdone by teams that pass with a high tempo and good movement and stretch play. We're caught in a bit of a no mans land in that respect at the moment.
  • Options
    My feeling before the match was that Hull were the sort of team that we could play football round and Thomas, Sam, Ambrose and ZZ playing football would induce plenty of free kicks and maybe a penalty or two. It never happened though. There were a couple of spells in the 1st half when we looked like we could do it, but it juts fizzled out as Hull put in tough challenges and all of the above four showed how little bottle they have, not once did Ambrose challenge for a ball in the air, presumably through the fear of getting lumped.

I am almost tempted to drop Iwelumo, not because he has done anything wrong, but he allows the rest of the team to take the easy route and juts have it lumped up to him, that tactic is sussed now, he is crowded and nudged everytime the goes up for the ball and its a sure way to return possession to the opposition. Who would I put in - who knows!!!!

In the window we need to get in one maybe two players who as a first quality has bottle and is not afraid to take a lumping, then lets worry about their skill level.
  • Options
    Judging by yesterday's performance we were carrying too many players carrying injuries who shouldn't really have played.

After Pards had warned that some players were extremely doubtful, I think most of us were surprised to see Powell, Ambrose, Iwelumo & ZZ start yesterday. And I thought it showed that those 4 were carrying injuries.

And players carrying injuries don't put themselves about for fear of further aggravating their injury.
  • Options
    I am almost tempted to drop Iwelumo, not because he has done anything wrong, but he allows the rest of the team to take the easy route and juts have it lumped up to him, that tactic is sussed now, he is crowded and nudged everytime the goes up for the ball and its a sure way to return possession to the opposition. Who would I put in - who knows!!!!

he's been well and truely found out now, doesn't win anywhere near enough in the air for me and all to often gives away a free kick.....needs to be dropped/rested (however you want to phrase it).
  • Options
    i was lookin forward to seeing some squad players come in.Racon,Dickson and i really fancied us with them champin at the bit instead i got the old Ambrose back and JT running down blind alleys.