Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

greedy geordies?

have just noticed that newcastle are playing tonight in eufa cup but have not had their game on saturday moved to sunday.
anything to do with that game being on ppv and if was moved they would lose the tv revenue?
these clubs want to make up their minds. either the players need an extra day to recover or they don't.
they have left parker, duff, carr and babayaro at home, (martins and rossi are unavailable) and looks like they are gonna use a teenage keeper.
is it time that the english clubs in the eufa cup were made to play on sunday (or saturday) irrespective of tv money.
it just stinks of double standards to me.

any opinions/solutions people??????

Comments

• Options
    They aren't necessarily being greedy just realistic, the revenue from a live game is £600K, no team can afford to turn that down, though I would have expected someone to have looked at the fixture list when selecting the matches and picked another game allowing Newcastle to shift the match to Sunday.
  • Options
    Newcastle need to bring in every penny they can, not too flush at the moment from what i understand.

You're right though, shows he things can be worked when a chequebook is waved.
  • Options
    perhaps sky could leave the choice of coverage of certain sunday dates until nearer the dates of the euro ties. then all clubs playing on thursday have to play on sunday with sky chosing 1 game and that coming out of their 'quota' for the season. might mean certain teams getting more coverage during 1st half of season but little in 2nd half.

if that makes sense.
  • Options
    600k?

About five weeks salary for Michael Owen.

They've only got themselves to blame if they're in financial trouble.
  • Options
    [cite] Addickted:[/cite]600k?

About five weeks salary for Michael Owen.

They've only got themselves to blame if they're in financial trouble.

or 1/20th of luque fee.

and don't forget the 52,000 best supporters in the country every week
    they are only in financial trouble because of throwing money at everything and that does not give them the right to pick and chose when they play, which effectively what they are doing. imo.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Newcastle's last financial results:

http://www.football.co.uk/newcastle_united/magpies_reveal_12m_losses_236274.shtml

Announced last week - the Geordies lost £12m in the last financial year.

In the last year they bought Michael Owen, Damian Duff, Obafemi Martins are paying Scott Parker some £50k a week and so on.
  • Options
    Might be a contractual obligation to Sky - see if Roeder moans about it on Saturday. I think the revenue from PPV games is a lot less than Sunday 4pm games - could be wrong, mind.
  • Options
    I think you are right inspector, there is a fair difference between a PPV and a normal Sky one.
  • Options
    Glenn Roeder has hit out at a fixture list which has left his Newcastle side facing three matches in six days.

The Magpies meet Sheffield United on Saturday, two days after facing Palermo in the Uefa Cup, then travel to Watford on Tuesday for a Carling Cup tie.

"It's utter madness," said Roeder. "To expect players to recover in less than 48 hours is ridiculous."

Blades boss Neil Warnock believes the Magpies did not ask to switch the game to Sunday because it is on television.

With the game picked as the late televised showing on Saturday, Warnock thinks Newcastle were unwilling to sacrifice the financial gains.

"I was a little bit surprised when I heard they wanted to play on Saturday but the finances are massive now so you can't really blame them," said Warnock.

"What is it they get? £350,000? We're talking professional footballers here and they should be able to handle it.

"Newcastle didn't give us the option to switch days. If they had done, we would have switched."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/6112648.stm
  • Options
    You can bet your bottom dollar the 9 players out injured will make a miraculous recovery as well
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The answer would be that on European weekends all premier league games are on the sunday. Although with the tv contracts alread negotiated and including Saturday games it would be difficult to introduce.