Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Could you ever emmigrate?

edited November 2006 in General Charlton
i.e. leave the UK & live/work abroad for a long period (5 years + or forever?)

why and where would you go?

200,000 left in 2005

Comments

• Options
    ie, ie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Oh Yes, Ibiza for DJ'ing in Summer, chilling in Winter.

or

New York would happily work there if the opportunity arose been there a couple of times & actually feel at home.
  • Options
    i never thought i would be able to, but i have considered it more in the last few years.

When it come down to the crunch, i think i would miss family too much.
  • Options
    Take them with you ....
  • Options
    spent a year in oz. wanted to permaently move there but lack of qualifications restricted that. tried to get residency and failed. that was in my mid 20s but wouldnt want to do it now... too far and miss too much.

lived in Hong Kong for 3 years after my failed residency attempt. brilliant time but didnt want to live there permanently. very very safe place to live tho... missed that on my return.

I wouldnt want to move right now but perhaps in a few years time. somewhere nice and hot in spain and where i dont daily have to walk pass yellow boards appealing for a witness to an assault/mugging/violent attack.
  • Options
    [cite] Curb_It:[/cite]somewhere nice and hot in spain and where i dont daily have to walk pass yellow boards appealing for a witness to an assault/mugging/violent attack.

Hmmm ... so people are regularly assualted on your daily routes ....

.... would you say that you sometimes suffer from memory loss?
  • Options
    what are you trying to say spinner?!

only late on a friday night, and sometimes a wednesday, and nearly always on a thursday!
  • Options
    Spent a couple of years doing the original Auf Wiedersien Pet in Germany and enjoyed my time there (seem to recognise all those characters portrayed in the prog too!). But now I wouldn't mind living in Australia - either FNQ or WA.
  • Options
    I thought about moving to Kent once, but I am over that now thank God!
  • Options
    North London ..... I think NOT
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was once offered a job in Bermuda by a guy I used to do broke for but turned it down..... What was I thinking!

The missus and I have been seriously thinking about moving to Turkey. 3 bed house with swimming pool is £60k..... Problem is I can only say hello and order a kebab & beer in Turkish!
  • Options
    Could I ever emigrate? I have done, twice.Spent my years aged 21 - 25 in USA and forgot about Charlton after 2 years by getting hooked on American Football (easily done) Then moved to France 4 years ago and only visit the valley infrequently but MoD and streaming do help. Miss the buzz of matchday itself but not much else; UK is overpriced, noisy, frightening, crowded and you have to spend so much effort to go anywhere or do anything. Getting to the valley from Kent and home again, takes for ever and costs a lot! The devotion needed is now outweighed by apathy and a feeling that I ought to spend the not inconsiderable sums of money required in a more satisfying way.Yes - emigration is possible however devoted a fan you are: I saw my first match in 1950 and voted for Firmani as one of Charlton's most influential players a week or two ago.Doubt if I will ever return to live in UK now......Charlton won't go down though - finish about 15th I think.
  • Options
    The missus and I have been seriously thinking about moving to Turkey

I've been looking at buying a villa on the Aegean Coast - Marmaris to Bodrum and living there part of the year and letting it out over the summer. A decent two/three bed + swimming pool etc will cost around £100-200k.

A friend has a couple of villas plus another under construction which I persuaded her to name Eden Valley Villa:

http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/Turkey/holiday-villa-Aegean-Sea-Coast/p14600.htm?uni_id=21942
  • Options
    As for emigration...living overseas isn't as bad as the Sun says (a quote from afriend). I've been living in Germany for six years, know enough German to live and get by, but it isn't a problem if you don't know much German as everyone speaks English. There are enough ex-pats out here for us to form our own cricket club, plus there is the ubiquitous Irish pub with Sky for footie and rugby.

I miss some things...pies! Charlton and watching Test cricket on TV and being able to go to see Kent play. On the otherhand it's warm and friendly and I earn more money doing my job here than I did in the UK and have less stress and hassle plus the cost of living is cheaper, and the internet keeps me up to date with news. Overall the positives outweigh the negatives.

My next move is likely across Germany to live in Bavaria/Austria and at some point I want to buy a villa in the Med to live in/rent out. Maybe Turkey cos it's cheap, but you can only stay three months at a time if you don't have a working visa which I'll never get, or Greece somewhere.

I've no desire to live in overcrowded Britain again but who knows, if things change I'll be back.
  • Options
    Intresting subject for me, I was thinking of posting a 'should I stay or should I go' discussion.

I have just been offerred a job in Western Australia (I guess I'd have to take the family..) with residency at the end of it if I want.

Its 2 years working in rural WA which is just about the least densely populated place on the planet compared to living in Chalrton and one of the most densely populated places.

Not sure about making the change but they do have Sky TV, Test Cricket and the internet so not sure it would be a big change although it would make this season my last for a few years....What do you think?
  • Options
    keeping in touch via net is no problem these days

i see pretty much every cafc game live on tv or delayed recording - saturdays game is on at 3pm here, 10pm uk time so i will be avoiding the score all day

i do miss test & other cricket on tv - but now use TVU player which shows a lot of cricket & i see all uk tv thanks to the fab uknova

the things you think you'll miss - you don't as you adapt / things that never crossed your mind - you sometimes do (i.e radio 5 when driving to & from work, proper curryhouses, minor things really)..........
  • Options
    Missing a good curry house has never been a problem - there are two in town, one - the Rajpur - is the best curry house I've ever been to.

I often listen to the radio on the internet and as someone says upthread you can get streaming video for TV and sport these days so no real need to miss anything.
  • Options
    yes..
    my 2nd home is ibiza for various reasons so that would be my first port of call..

my dad's side of the family are from New Zealand ( i have a dual passort!!) so that WILL be my retirement place eventually when i have made my money!!
  • Options
    Australia does have poor curry houses, but being relatively close to Singapore which has some of the best Indian food on the planet it should not be so much of a problem, plus I can cook..

How did your families react to the move?
  • Options
    am i the only one that would seriously love to do the australia / new zealand thing, but know they just couldn't handle the length ofthe plane trip ?

Hate / fear flying with a passion (the CIFC lads that went to Ayr with me will testify), 10hrs to Mexico, nearly killed me. Doubling it would be unbearable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite] carlingaddick:[/cite]yes..
    my dad's side of the family are from New Zealand ( i have a dual passort!!) so that WILL be my retirement place eventually when i have made my money!!

Whereabouts are your Dad's side of the family from? I went to NZ a few years ago, and absolutely loved it. If it wasn't so bleeding far away, that'd be my choice of place to emigrate to.
  • Options
    [cite] BlackForestReds:[/cite]The missus and I have been seriously thinking about moving to Turkey

BFR - We're looking just around the coast in Fethiye area (seems to be a bit cheaper and safer considering the bombings in Marmaris) and thinking of doing the same thing.

Turkish is surprisingly easy to pick up if you can speak German as its seems to follow the same grammatical rules. Have been out there on hols three times now and know enough to get by, order a meal etc
  • Options
    [cite] aliwibble:[/cite]
    [cite] carlingaddick:[/cite]yes..

Whereabouts are your Dad's side of the family from? I went to NZ a few years ago, and absolutely loved it. If it wasn't so bleeding far away, that'd be my choice of place to emigrate to.

Just outside Wellington.. a town called Paraparaumu..
    been there loads of times.. love the place
  • Options
    AFKA BHartram said : 'am i the only one that would seriously love to do the australia / new zealand thing, but know they just couldn't handle the length ofthe plane trip ?

Hate / fear flying with a passion (the CIFC lads that went to Ayr with me will testify), 10hrs to Mexico, nearly killed me. Doubling it would be unbearable. '

I flew Emirates and had an 90 minute stop in Dubai and 90 minutes in Singapore. Made it seem more like three 7 hour flights than one long one. Even the wife found it ok and she doesn't even like flying to Spain. Did it non-stop previously but it was a drag although I was with other winners from a competition and we had a great laugh and drunk BA/Qantas dry. WOULD move to Oz tomorrow but don't have enough points even with the rellies sponsoring me. Oh to be a hairdresser. New Zealand is beautiful but a severe employment shortage.
  • Options
    the old points system eh large! i know a few haridressers got in, plenty of brickies/plumbers/sparks. lucky bleeders. thats the only time i really really regretted not studying harder at school.
    i prefer to break it up these days. ive done it a couple of times non stop, not a pleasant experience.
  • Options
    The plan is to take some time out once hubby retires (5 yrs ish) & then travel around the world. Hopefully in that time we'll find the ideal location to buy our goat farm to make lovely cheese.

Never wanted to even visit Oz let alone live there.

Delhi or Lesbos would be my dream locations to emmigrate to. As for missing stuff, I hope I would. May make me appreciate it more.
  • Options
    I hate flying more than Mr T! I aint getin on no plaaaannee fooooo! Afka, i make you right not liking it, its just plain wrong.
  • Options
    [cite] CharltonDan:[/cite]
    [cite] BlackForestReds:[/cite]The missus and I have been seriously thinking about moving to Turkey

BFR - We're looking just around the coast in Fethiye area (seems to be a bit cheaper and safer considering the bombings in Marmaris) and thinking of doing the same thing.

Turkish is surprisingly easy to pick up if you can speak German as its seems to follow the same grammatical rules. Have been out there on hols three times now and know enough to get by, order a meal etc

The bombings in Marmaris and those in Kusadasi (near Izmir) were the work of Kurdish seperatists with whom Turkey has been waging an on-going war for several years. You've more danger of getting killed in an earthquake than a terrorist bomb. Fethiye is a bit cheaper and you are close to Dalyan airport and property is cheaper there than up the coast.

If you have good handman skills perhaps the best thing is to buy a couple of villas and renovate them for the tourist trade/sell them on.
  • Options
    Can't understand why no interest in visiting Aus, it has spectacular geography and probably the friendliest English speaking people on the planet.

When in Sydney earlier this year I had quite a long chat to some one I had never met on a commuter train out to the suburbs - I can honestly say that when I commute into London now and when I was a regular in the past I can't remember ever having a conversation with someone I didn't know (unless maybe drunk). I found it a bit scary to be honest - and Sydneysiders have a reputation as being miserable.

By the end of my time there I was nearly starting conversations..

Couldn't have got through the points system without a job offer and sponsorship.