Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

latest 'con' from sky

edited December 2007 in Not Sports Related
They charge you an extra £10 a month for additional HD boxes per box even if you already have multiroom, to**ers.

Comments

• Options
    is HD all it's cracked up to be ? I have Sky, not even Sky+, but have a HD Ready TV. Would you upgrade to Sky HD bearing in mind I'd get Sky+ as well ?
  • Options
    Large - my answer is yes it is worth it as HD is great, although there are not that many programmes yet so check out if what is HD is what you would watch. Also with the Sky + box it is far easier to record on the hard disk - even the Lass can do it!
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I don't think its worth having two given the lack of content, and the additional cost, but one for watching live football and movies, plus some American shows like atlantis and galactica, BBC hd football (not as good) however Robin hood and some other shows aren't too bad/worth having
  • Options
    I agree razil, As with most firms they don't seem to do much for customer loyalty. I 've just purchased a new HD TV due to my old set blowing up. I looked into getting a HD box but the sneaky buggers have raised the price for HD boxes since the last time I looked for one in the summer.
  • Options
    We've had HD for pretty much a year now, and am considering ditching it. Yes it's great and the picture quality is superb. However, for £10 a month extra it's not enough... not enough channels or programmes (unless you like watching 'Later with Jools Holland' over and over again)
  • Options
    BBC have recently announced that HD freeview boxes should be available in 2009.

Perhaps a bit early now but it will be the only option in a couple of years
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]We've had HD for pretty much a year now, and am considering ditching it. Yes it's great and the picture quality is superb. However, for £10 a month extra it's not enough... not enough channels or programmes (unless you like watching 'Later with Jools Holland' over and over again)

What no egg chasing in HD? ;-)
  • Options
    Yawn!

;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: joeaddick[/cite]I agree razil, As with most firms they don't seem to do much for customer loyalty. I 've just purchased a new HD TV due to my old set blowing up. I looked into getting a HD box but the sneaky buggers have raised the price for HD boxes since the last time I looked for one in the summer.

Freesat - the BBC and ITV's satellite answer to Freeview - launches next year, so you'll be able to get HD stuff from them without paying through the nose for Sky.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T[/cite]BBC have recently announced that HD freeview boxes should be available in 2009.

Perhaps a bit early now but it will be the only option in a couple of years

Because analogue TV needs to be switched off to free up the space for HD, London and the southeast will probably be the last to get HD through the aerial since we're the last to switch over (in 2012).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2007
    I've got Sky + and multi-room. Sky + is brilliant even though the box occasionally freezes. I could never be arsed to f*ck around with recording onto VHS or DVD. With Sky + its a total no brainer, whether you record things in advance, pause live tv or even start watching things you are halfway through recording. My mate has an HD TV and an HD box (bought on Ebay) but he hasn't bothered to upgrade because there are so few programmes yet being broadcast in HD format.

My brother in law has Virgin HD and we watched the England Russia game there recently on BBCHD. I thought the picture was terrible - lots of pixelation/ red distortion. It was that bad we swiched to standard BBC. I'm no techie it seemed to me that the HD decoder/processor couldn't decode/process the data fast enough to catch up with the camera movement in real time.

I still have a Flat CRT widescreen TV as my main TV. I have a non HD LCD TV in my bedroom. I am yet to be convinced on the smaller TV's, that HD LCD is any real improvement on CRT models. The LCD TV I have is certainly not as good a picture as my CRT and I object to having to pay more for an HD pitcure which will bring me back to CRT quality. As far as the larger TV's are concerned they are clearly an improvement on what went before but I haven't got the space (or the wife's permission) to get a really big TV.
  • Options
    Thanks for the link Inspector...I didn't know about that...It says in the blurb it's.... "Just a one-off payment for the digital box, satellite dish and installation - so you pay once, and watch forever".
    Does this mean you need a different dish to the one Sky provide?
  • Options
    BBC HD sport is not as good as SKY's,

Also you do still get the digital mpeg blocking effect on large similar colour areas, and standar defintion (SD) digital TV on these new big LCD/Plasma sets will expose this more particularly through the HDMI rather than the scart, its still not brilliant in HD.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: joeaddick[/cite]Thanks for the link Inspector...I didn't know about that...It says in the blurb it's.... "Just a one-off payment for the digital box, satellite dish and installation - so you pay once, and watch forever".
    Does this mean you need a different dish to the one Sky provide?

Probably the same dish - unless the dishes belong to Sky, in which case that'll be interesting... It'll be a different box, though.