Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Izale and others off?

edited December 2007 in Rumours
changes ahead, but we won't get a mill for him i reckon!

bye bye izzy!

Comments

• Options
    Am i the only one who thinks off loading him so soon without giving him a proper run would be a mistake? Especially selling him to a team in the same division as he'd undoubtedly come back to haunt us.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Am i the only one who thinks off loading him so soon without giving him a proper run would be a mistake? Especially selling him to a team in the same division as he'd undoubtedly come back to haunt us.

I think we would get a mill for him but i'm with you Chris , the guys had 1 league start, its not really a fair crack.
  • Options
    From what we've seen so far, I've no idea whether he has the football talent or not.

But his confidence is in shreds - not sure he has the strength of character to turn that around with us, and we can't carry passengers if we want to make a promotion push.
  • Options
    his confidence will be shot to even more pieces if he reads that article. Bizarre.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]From what we've seen so far, I've no idea whether he has the football talent or not.

But his confidence is in shreds - not sure he has the strength of character to turn that around with us, and we can't carry passengers if we want to make a promotion push.

I agree his confidence is in shreds but i still think he needs time. It's similar to Wenger saying he never really judges a player in their first 6 months when he signs them as they need time to settle and adjust to the premier league. In my opinion it's similar to McLeod, coming up 2 leagues and needing to adjust. He obviously knows where the goal is as he's scored a lot of goals in lower leagues. Pards needs to take him aside, tell him he still has a future and he'll be judged at the end of the season and not after 1 league start, with 5 minutes here and 10 minutes there.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    So are we now seeing how Pardew does business? Sees something he quite likes the look of (possibly on YouTube). Shells out lots of cash for them (coz he works for a big Club). Talks them up. Chucks them in. If they don't immediately perform, give them one or two more half chances if they're lucky. Then puts word out extremely publically that we are looking to offload.

I do remember him saying about making lots of signings that some of them will work out, some of them won't. Telling?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]From what we've seen so far, I've no idea whether he has the football talent or not.

Give him a run of games and the confidence and goals will come.

Unless there is something going on behind the scenes, selling a player without even giving him a chance makes no sense.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie
    Unless there is something going on behind the scenes, selling a player without even giving him a chance makes no sense.

And rumour has it we'll be doing the same with McCarthy and perhaps even Varney. Given our financial situation, signing then selling within six months is a risky business compared to doing the scouting/ homework properly in the first place.
  • Options
    As it's clearly a confidence thing i would've thought the least we'd do is loan him to a league 1 club for a month or 2 to get some confidence back. Selling him at this stage would be too soon.
  • Options
    I'm a big fan of pards but if izzy does go the blame is all at his door

he had the likes of eastwood there and looked elsewhere instead

mcleod will come good (especially if we sell him on and are made to look stupid) he's done nothing wrong for the club (not much right, granted, but what fair crack of the whip has he had?)

if he's sold it's really poor buying strategy

think it's just paper talk to be honest, unless he's pulling a couple of big names in
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Eastwood is hardly setting the world alight to be fair to Pards.

I'll be stunned if Varney goes anyway btw
  • Options
    doing the same with varney as well? well if they both go and with toddy out, we'd need 3 new strikers at ridiculous prices as everyone knows we will be desperate, cash in hand and with prem aspirations of the big TV bucks next season - that would be lunacy
  • Options
    If he is being touted around, is it not likely that Pards knows something we don't? Maybe he hasn't shown the signs of maturity off the pitch, or is a disruptive influence, doesn't fit in etc.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]If he is being touted around, is it not likely that Pards knows something we don't? Maybe he hasn't shown the signs of maturity off the pitch, or is a disruptive influence, doesn't fit in etc.

Should have found that out before shelling out on an unproven/ up and coming player.
  • Options
    Varney won't go, he suffered from not having a proper pre season, and starting the campaign. He had his best game for me on Saturday, and looks stronger and better. He'll be important in the second half of the season.

on McLeod, maybe Pards dropped a bollock on the deal, happens now and then
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    McLeod was a last minute gamble when we bought him as I recall, so if we recoup our fee nothing lost really, and it probably heralds the return of that big lump MBent.. oh shite.
  • Options
    Not convinced that Izale will ever come good for us but to be fair he only gets a chance when we switch to 442. I can't think of a single player who's looked good in that formation this season.
    S.
  • Options
    I don't see how we can get rid of a player that has been given all in all probably a game and a half? EVen McCarthy got more than that before he was found out didn't he?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Varney won't go, he suffered from not having a proper pre season, and starting the campaign. He had his best game for me on Saturday, and looks stronger and better. He'll be important in the second half of the season.

Spot on, Varns is kicking on and the fans are with him, everyone was made up for him after his goal at preston
  • Options
    BTW, Pards has a habit of buying a lot of players, and then selling the mistakes off quickly, he did it at West Ham in the Championship, and he's doing it here.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i guess its better than keeping hold of them and them never coming good.
  • Options
    Pards 1st Season at West Ham

Second season

Some will work as it did with Reo Coker, and some won't like McAnuff.

It's just the way it happens
  • Options
    feck it almost sounds like we're in agreement Rothers, stop it at once...
  • Options
    I agree with chris from sidcup, he will come good given the chance, but i think norwich want him ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]If he is being touted around, is it not likely that Pards knows something we don't? Maybe he hasn't shown the signs of maturity off the pitch, or is a disruptive influence, doesn't fit in etc.

Should have found that outbeforeshelling out on an unproven/ up and coming player.

I put it to you Weegie Addick that you are in fact a bit of a Pardew hater!

I don't think McCleod has the confidence to be a troublemaker and an unproven up and coming player is always a gamble, some will work, some won't - I think proven goalscorers at this or the next level were beyond our budget (and Eastwood has scored 3 all season, hardly think he's proved Pards wrong there has he?).
  • Options
    It's harsh on Mcleod if he's sold but these are the decisions that Pards will stand or fall on, and at the mo i trust Pards to get it right and bring in the players we need.
  • Options
    Hate is a bit strong, PITL. I do think he is probably the best option at the moment, and think we need to give him the chance and adjust to a different way of doing things (I'm trying...) It is completely true that I have never been a hero-worshipper of Pards - he is far too arrogant and smug for my personal liking. I am not trying to turn this into an anti-Pards tirade, but am concerned that our financial situation is shaky to say the least, so taking a gamble on players without researching them properly on the assumption that 'you'll win some, you'll lose some' could, at the extreme, be playing Russian roulette with the Club's future stability.

I genuinely hope he proves me utterly wrong by the end of this season.
  • Options
    Should probably have put a smiley face after the 'Pards hater' comment - it was half tongue in cheek!
  • Options
    No problem! ;-)
  • Options
    Pards is a bit of a wheeler dealer always has been as Rothko rightly points out, he'll take the plunge see what they're like and ship them on if he doesn't see a certain something... no problems if it works. Would have thought that Mcleod will only go if 2 players can be brought in the same period. I wouldn't have a problem if he stays either.

Noticeable that the top scorers in the divisions below making the step up haven't set the world alight - Eastwood, Sharp, Varney & Mcleod haven't exactly set the word alike with their new clubs.