Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mother in laws

edited November 2007 in Not Sports Related
After hearing someone on another thread commenting on they're nagging mother-in-law it got me thinking.

My girlfriend's Mum (and Dad) is really sound, an absolute pleasure to spend time with but...

...is she going to change into the stereotypical nagging nightmare the moment my girlfriend and I decide to get married?

Is there such a thing as a lovely mother-in-law?

Comments

• Options
    To be fair mine is ok and she got a glimpse of the real me quite early into the relationship with my wife:

As I said she's pretty sound but quite posh and I was invited over to have dinner with her newish manfriend and his even posher daughter & son in law.

Needless to say I got hammered, insisted on serving the coffee and spilt it all over the tablecloth and then proceded to tell dirty jokes.

My wife was kicking me under the table but secretly laughing until the subject turned to hangovers. I banged the table and said loudly that there's only one cure for a hangover... a good hard shag. I then looked at Laura and said I hope you have a hangover in the morning.

The evening ended shortly after and we retired to bed (we were staying the night) I laid on the bed and the room starting spinning and I promptly threw up a trail of green lasagne all the way from the bedroom through the hallway and the last little mouthful got spat into the toilet. I then fell asleep and put up a hell of an argument when they tried to move me!

To top it all I got up in the morning feeling like sh*t, walked into the bathroom and was met with the sight of her mother in all her glory after just walking out of the shower!
  • Options
    My mother in law is a full branch geordie and a few years ago we were all up in Newcastle to celebrate a wedding , myself the wife , and my mother and father in law staying at the aunts house

The night before the wedding all the blokes went out with the groom and his old man for a skinful down the local . The grooms old man drinks like a fish so I try and keep up . Anyway we get back to the house and I have a nightcap with my father in law then go up to bed .

The wife had texted me earlier saying we're in the usual room , so in my state I proceed to go into the bedroom get fully undressed and get into bed . A hand then touches me on the head and says who's that , realising its my mother in law, I jump out of the bed so fast my feet dont touch the floor until I get into the correct bed next door . Luckily , my father in law was in the bathroom oblivious to all this . I dread to think what would've happended if he had walked in ... I try to tell my wife whats just happended and get the usual shut up and go to sleep .

When I go down for breakfast in the morning everyone knows whats happended about it and I'm even getting text messages from home calling me the gateshead groper etc . It made the best mans speech at the wedding and I had old dears coming up to me at the wedding telling me their room number !

You'd think once is bad enough but I did it AGAIN the night of Curb it and Taverns wedding , after going to the loo I got in their bed ....
  • Options
    Russ - you never told me that story. You must have made it up .........it is fecking hilarious.......
  • Options
    It's all true mate.

Weren't you with us in The laughing Buddah that night when I brought it up and Laura (unsuprisingly) got the hump when I mentioned collars & cuffs?
  • Options
    mehmet and shag... both very good stories.
  • Options
    "mehmet and shag... both very good stories."

Just reading it to myself B and it's a wonder she said yes when I asked her to marry me!!
  • Options
    My mother-in-law is the absolute best, but I`m influenced by the fact she hasnt visited for 3 years, the wife visits her when I play golf and we have number recognition on the home phone so I dont even have to speak to her ;)
  • Options
    mother in law was a right pain years back mellowing with age and get on well with her
  • Options
    couple of brilliant stories, i'm rolling up here !!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    my ma in law is alright - she's portugese and speaks her mind which doesn't bother me as I am the same but she's as good as gold AS she makes me bread pudding every week.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]my ma in law is alright - she's portugese and speaks her mind which doesn't bother me as I am the same but she's as good as gold AS she makes me bread pudding every week.

I thought you was going to say 'she's Portugese and speaks her mind which doesn't bother me as I can't understand a word she's saying'

;0 )
  • Options
    nah she's fluent english speaker probably better than some of us.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_McMoist[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]my ma in law is alright - she's portugese and speaks her mind which doesn't bother me as I am the same but she's as good as gold AS she makes me bread pudding every week.

I thought you was going to say 'she's Portugese and speaks her mind which doesn't bother me as I can't understand a word she's saying'

;0 )

lol me too valley!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    My mother in law means well.. But I haven't forgiven the time when she went out with my wife on her 30th rather than offering to babysit meaning i couldn't go..

She also has a view on everything and anything but knowledge on expertise on nothing. I remember after my son was born I was assembling some flat pack furniture and she asked me if I was any good at flat packs - I'm a bloke ffs it's what we do!!
  • Options
    My brother in law is useless, we go from one crisis to the next with him, and for example we can't see my father in law today on fathers day because he managed to wreck his flat and can't get his deposit back unless the FIL goes round there and redecorates it today.
  • Options
    My in laws are all blinding to be fair. The Mrs mum and dad are proper down to earth and I get on well with the rest of her family.

Always look forward to going down to see them but my waistline suffers as mother in law always cooks up plenty of nice scran and FIL always has plenty of choc and biscuits on the go.
  • Options
    Never met ny mother in law as she had passed before we got together

Got on wicked with her old man and had a great relationship with him until he passed as well

Dont ever take for granted what you have as you certainly miss it when its gone and so do your bin lids
  • Options
    Mine the best by far, she's 6' under. :-)

To be fair she was alright, liked a drink and a laugh and of course had the wife, creeping or what?
  • Options
    Mines the archetypal Jewish mother who sitters on endlessly and keeps fussing. She drives my wife up the wall so time spent with her is minimal fortunately. Makes a decent babysitter Tbf.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My mil is fantastic. Since my mum died in august she is the closest i have to a mum. She knows that as well, and promised my mum she would always look out for me.
  • Options
    My mother in law is Turkish Cypriot and can't speak a word of English. Which is perfect for me. She is small (wrinkly) about eighty and yes talking to her is like chatting with a female Yoda. The only difference is I'm the one left with a quizzical look. She can be found in all weathers wandering the Elephant & Castle (I guess it's a bit like Dagobah) with her push trolley. As a side note I have never met my father in law despite the fact I have known my wife for 16 years. The wife seems to be in no rush to get us in the same room.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I'm single now, but my in laws were wonderful. They were Sicilian - my MiL was the loveliest woman you could have met - warm, caring, funny. Sadly she died between our engagement and our wedding, which was pretty devastating. My FiL was a great bloke - spent a lot of time with him as they were a very close family. He died last year. You literally couldn't wish for better in laws than I had - far nicer than my own family.
  • Options
    My Mil is a real pain in the arse, has to be the centre of attention and gets jealous of she's not the one getting fussed over & to top it off my Sil is exactly the same!! No wonder my Fil is always in the garden smoking a fag or getting drunk!

My Sil is a looker though!!
  • Options
    My MiL is lovely, a bit slow (in a nice way - the family are always digging her out for it), but far nicer than my late Mother. My in laws generally are top people.
  • Options
    My in laws are both lovely people although they are separated now. The only down side is that the old man is a spanner and not a plastic one either.
  • Options
    What is this, everyone wants to shag their mother in law all of a sudden?
  • Options
    I loved my MIL so much that I went out and bought her a Jaguar. Worked brilliantly as well, bit her the first night she had it !
  • Options
    Off_it said:

What is this, everyone wants to shag their mother in law all of a sudden?

Don't want to shag my MiL, but perhaps we could have some pictures on this thread of other people's MiL? :-)
  • Options
    Knew my second FIL for only 4 years before he died suddenly...really never got over it. He had not one agenda, spent four years as a prisoner of war and through his experiences decided to live life to the full, drunk too much, eat too much and laughed a lot. RIP Alf.