Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Coventry on the brink of bankruptcy...

So, bearing in mind what Newcastle did to us with Robert Lee when we were impoverished at Upton Park should we not be offering them an insultingly low fee for Mifsud?

Let's face facts, they owe the bank 18 million quid and the bankers will take any hard currency that comes their way.

I reckon we should get in for him before anyone else does.

Comments

• not nice Ormiston but true remeber what Palace did with John Humphrey.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]So, bearing in mind what Newcastle did to us with Robert Lee when we were impoverished at Upton Park should we not be offering them an insultingly low fee for Mifsud?

Let's face facts, they owe the bank 18 million quid and the bankers will take any hard currency that comes their way.

I reckon we should get in for him before anyone else does.

Mifsud will be off in Jan but can't go before then. They need the money NOW and not in five weeks time.
  • We can still sign him now, he will just have to wait until January to play for us. Hermann signed from Ipswich outside of the transfer window and had to wait till the next season to play.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]not nice Ormiston but true remeber what Palace did with John Humphrey.[/quote]

Palace did it with Humphrey, Sheff Weds did it with Williams and Watson, Newcastle with Lee, Chelsea with Minto, Arsenal with Pates and Wimbledon with Bennett.

When you are skint you have to take what you are offered, they'd do the same to us (and tried to with Rufus back in the 90's) so all is fair I am afraid.
  • It wasn't just Rufus, Coventry also offered to buy Lee Bowyer then, IIRC correctly the suggested deal was ca £4m for the pair.

Coventry can't afford to go bust - the points deduction will screw any chance they have of promotion, or even making the play-offs.

Buy Mifsud and loan them McLeod in return.
  • Careful what you wish for. Last time we pillaged a sad, declining club in need of quick cash, we got Svensson.....
  • If they go bankrupt aren't they're players contracts null and void? Hence a lot of clubs used this to offload huge wage budgets.
  • Last time we pillaged we got Holland and Herman, so not to bad
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]If they go bankrupt aren't they're players contracts null and void? Hence a lot of clubs used this to offload huge wage budgets.

Not necessarily. Take the example of Leeds, I believe they have only just (last season) finished paying the Premier League level wages to certain players, several years after they went bust. I guess it depends if Cov go into administration and investors/buyers are found or if they go totally tits up.
  • yes I think you're right there's a distinction between administration and 'liquidation' perhaps. I'm fairly sure Leicester managed something in terms of contracts though.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2007
    Deadline for Coventry to avoid Administration is 16.00 hours today.

Is your view

Bad thing
    1) hurts the innocent fans
    2) de-stablises the football sector's finances
    3) Distorts the league positions - results on the pitch are what matter
    4) Might help keep Palace up

Good thing
    5) One less competitor for promotion
    6) May be some bargains to be had - Fill your boots time
    7) Serves them right
  • Oh Henry, that is a real moral dilemma.....

Sorry to be a bastard but I am choosing 5, 6 and 7.
  • you missed:

8) Iain Dowie
  • I'd have to say 1-4. Don't like to see clubs ruined by people who can't run a business.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: PassItToLeaburn[/cite]I'd have to say 1-4. Don't like to see clubs ruined by people who can't run a business.[/quote]

True, but would Coventry be so magnanimous if their financial gamble had paid off and they were lording it over us in the Premiership?

Methinks not.

Football is, unfortunately, dog eat dog these days.
  • I don't know much about their situation but i'm assuming they're heavily in debt due to building a new ground, is this right?
  • Don't like to see any club disappear ... apart from Palarse of course.

But good point by Ormiston.
  • I think the ground is part of the problem. It's owned by the Council but any potential buyer would want to own the club.

The £38 debt seems to have been around for a while. They went down from the Prem with huge debts and don't seem to have been able to shake it off. They sold players and supposedly got the amount down but it hasn't gone away and now they are finding it hard to find someone who will take on the debt, plus give Dowie £££ to spend on players without the ground ownership as well.
  • Id add another reason:

9 - The beer was 'kin disgusting in the ground!
  • Good - hope they go bust. Serves them right for making me cry in 1987...blooming Keith Houtchen and Gary Mabbutt's knee ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Hearty helpings of 1 and 2 for me, with an added drizzle of 6 for good measure.

Don't like to see any football club in trouble.
  • http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2227622,00.html

Seems Ray Ransom has saved them at the last minute, subject to shareholder approval.
  • I'll go for 8.

Also, if they were willing to take advantage of our plight, why should we give a s*** for theirs.