Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Managers speaking in the press / psychology

edited November 2007 in General Charlton
I've noticed Pards do this before, but not as prounced as this one:

"They are a big club with fantastic players and have a very good manager in Bryan Robson, and are in transition. They had a disappointing result at the weekend, but are a good side and this will be a very, very difficult game for us. There is no doubt in my mind that they will be in the top six in May, and can maybe even make a late run for the top two.

Can anyone explain to me, what the benefit is in publicly bigging up the opposition before a game ? Other to make the opposition feel better about themselves ??

If he thinks its a big game, then make sure you stress that to the players privately as much as you can, but publicly making the opposition feel like world beaters is to our detriment, isn't it ?

Or am i missing carefully clever psychology angle ??

Comments

• Options
    it's gone over your head obviously...
  • Options
    most does....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]most does....

Who said that?
  • Options
    tee'd up and knocked out of the ground!!!

I dunno with Alan to be honest, it could be seen that he is unnecessarily bigging the team up but i suppose he can't mildly slag them off as it will fire them up more.

Maybe he is just echoing the opinions of fans' expectations hoping it will make them even more depressed.
  • Options
    You big them up for a number of reasons:

1. They may believe the hype and take their foot off the trottle come game time believing it's a forgone conclusion.
    2. Prevents our 4 wins on the spin with no goals conceded becoming complacent by making sure they are aware that just because a team is in the bottom half won't make it easy
    3. you tell it like it is - namely that sheff utd are one of the bigger teams in the division but are playing poorly given their resources and should be doing much better - and you risk riling them up (eg Plymouth's GK making a few good saves after being criticised in the programme) making it harder for us.

it reality it is probably just an easy way of dealing with pre-match press.
  • Options
    Possibly to try and stop our players being complacent after 3 wins in a row?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]

"They have a very good manager in Bryan Robson"

how can any statement with those words in it have any credibility ffs this has to be his last managerial job(robson that is!)
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Isn't it about trying to manage fans expectations both before and after the result. He doesn't want fans to turn up believing that we will cruise it, then get arsey when its a struggle.

If we win he can say that we've measured up by beating a really good team. If we don't then he has already said that it was going to be tough, and so it proved.

I also think its about him giving out a consistant message and making sure that he stays in the concentration zone